Adjustable seat post on singlespeed?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Adjustable seat post on singlespeed?

I am going to commence building my first singlespeed soon and was wondering whether it's beneficial to get an adjustable seatpost for it. Most of the time when you are going to pedal uphill you stand up and crank right? So would an adjustable seatpost be useful?

Let me know your experience and feedback. Thanks.

openwound
    I run gravity droppers on all of my off-road bikes. I realize to some that'll seem weird or overkill, but I love being able to get my saddle out of the way.

As for any extra weight, well I can always stand to lose a few pounds...
    Last edited by voodoochild; 04-26-2011 at 06:38 PM.
    -- let's ride

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I too have GDs on my mountain bikes. I got used to dropping the post on my geared, so it got stuck on the SS too!!
    What I like about the adjustable seatposts is running the post high enough to get a nice leg extension (which only is useful in the saddle of course) and lowering my center of gravity when descending. I always felt that with a regular seatpost you had to compromise on seat height a bit.
    That said, if you want simple and don't have the extra cash, just stick with a normal post.

Free your heel...
    I can't live without an adjustable post on my normal bike but on my SS getting off the bike before a long downhill to drop the post, then raising it back for the next climb feel like the right thing to do. Or, maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to take a break.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Adjustable seatposts are great for getting the saddle out of your way for jumping or doing really gnarly steep descents. I have one on my WFO9 and it is awesome. But I wouldn't want one on my single speed since I use the single speed for XC riding only. I don't even have a QR seatpost collar on it. If you can ride your local trails without dropping the saddle, then you don't need the extra expense and complication.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I have Gravity Dropper on my Epic 29er and on my Road bike and I will be putting one on my single speed as soon as it done. I have a 3 inch drop on both of mine, it has full extension, 1 inch drop and 3inch all the way down. Its like having gears for the different muscles in the legs for me. It all comes down to riding the way you like.
    "It Is What It Is" Phil 4:13
    B-Ray Da Beast

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by B-RAY
    I have Gravity Dropper on my Epic 29er and on my Road bike and I will be putting one on my single speed as soon as it done. I have a 3 inch drop on both of mine, it has full extension, 1 inch drop and 3inch all the way down. Its like having gears for the different muscles in the legs for me. It all comes down to riding the way you like.

You have a Gravity Dropper on your road bike? What kind of paved roads are you descending?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Hahahah its not for the desending its for the climbs and for the 1 inch down postion I have my seat postions setup the same on the road bike as the MT bike so my muscles get use to the same load that i put on them. I also have a H-bar on my raod bike just like my MT bike also.
    "It Is What It Is" Phil 4:13
    B-Ray Da Beast

Members who have read this thread: 0