Adding disc mount to horiz. dropout frame?- Mtbr.com
    Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr

Adding disc mount to horiz. dropout frame?

Since I moved to western NC, I've been jonesing for disc brakes on the back of my Gunnar. I see that Spicer will add a mounting tab for 30-40$, but wonder if this works well with horizontal dropouts. Seems like it would be tough to get proper chain tension if your adjustment was limited by the caliper position. Am I right, or this not an issue?

Any other folks to consider if I do decide to gat tabs welded on?

"Mr. Britannica"

Brew

Brew is out there in WNC.

Submit to your ride!
    Jan 2004
    Hey Pig,

It can be done, but it would have to done in a way that will allow you to take off your rear wheel for tire changes and/or changing chain length, similar to the Surly Monkey setup. The KM disc mounts are adjustable and allows you to move the caliper fore/aft before bolt down. If Spicer can do this, then you are in business...otherwise, it might be a pain to make simple changes to your bike..

SS Slave

mtbr member

Check with Gunnar...

A friend of mine checked about putting a disc tab on his geared Gunnar and was told (by Gunnar) that they'd need to replace the entire rear triangle. I don't think the stays are designed to handle the different forces that a disc places on them compared to the standard canti/V-brakes. Basically they told him that it would be more cost effective to sell his current frame and order a new Gunnar with a disc mount.

The man who fell to earth

there can be problems, but easily solved...

I've got a DISS with horizontal dropouts and disk brake. Tensioning a chain can cause minor problems with disc/caliper alignment/interference, but it is pretty minimal and can always be remedied with minor chain and caliper tweaks. The main drawback is that it can take longer to remove and replace a tire when compared to an EBB with vert dropouts. So if you race, then you might want to think twice before switching.

Also, the caliper adjustment/alignment system on Avid mechs makes dealing with disc interence MUCH easier than with my Hope hydros (which are no where near as adjustable/tweakable as my Avid mechs). If you do go the route of discs, use Avid mechs or something with a comparable adjustment system (not sure if any disc brake systems out there are comparable though). Avid mechs really rock, in case you haven't heard.

good luck....

Quote Originally Posted by Singletrack Pig
    Seems like it would be tough to get proper chain tension if your adjustment was limited by the caliper position. Am I right, or this not an issue?

Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr

Thanks Fellas

Looks like I'll just keep my current setup. No big deal, but discs sure are nice in the muck we've had here lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Singletrack Pig
    Since I moved to western NC, I've been jonesing for disc brakes on the back of my Gunnar. I see that Spicer will add a mounting tab for 30-40$, but wonder if this works well with horizontal dropouts. Seems like it would be tough to get proper chain tension if your adjustment was limited by the caliper position. Am I right, or this not an issue?

Any other folks to consider if I do decide to gat tabs welded on?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I use Pauls Disc Unit and his rear disc hub on my Gunnar and it works great. The braking forces are run into the brake post and the axle. You won't need to readjust your caliper after fixing a flat.