Absolute black- Mtbr.com

Thread: Absolute black

mtbr member
    May 2014

Absolute black

Can you run higher than normal gearing with one of these chain rings than with a standard ring due to their supposed mechanical advantage or are they a gimmic? I bet I am opening up a can of worms as I know these rings have been debated HEAVILY. They remind me of cam setups on compound bows. Different profiles and ramp speeds vs speed and smoothness of draw. I understand the logic. Is it for real on bike chainrings?

mtbr member
    Don't have an oval ring, but the physics supports it. Increasing the angle of chainring pull when your pedal is in the optimum position makes sense. If you're a clipless spinner type, it probably doesn't matter as much. If you're a platform pedal masher, go oval.

How much your gearing in back can change is up to you, but I'd bet you could get a solid 1 tooth gain, maybe more if you're running big out back.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Don't have an oval ring, but the physics supports it. Increasing the angle of chainring pull when your pedal is in the optimum position makes sense. If you're a clipless spinner type, it probably doesn't matter as much. If you're a platform pedal masher, go oval.

How much your gearing in back can change is up to you, but I'd bet you could get a solid 1 tooth gain, maybe more if you're running big out back.
    So run the same gearing and you will possibly get a gain or loose a tooth and gain and have the resistance similar to what it was with the larger cog?

Downcountry AF
    i liked what i read about them so as an experiment i ordered a cheap ebay oval ring and put it on my SS. i liked it. the difference in feel is subtle but enough that i just ordered an AB oval chainring. looking forward to riding it soon.

i say go for it. i know a bunch of guys locally that use them on their 1x setups and love them. i think the effect is even greater on a SS.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Well I thought it would give a SS rider an extra edge if it works.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Is the chain length for an oval chainring the same as a round chainring of the same number of teeth? Sorry to hijack this thread, but it seems like a good place to ask...

western NC
    They do provide some small advantages, and I like mine enough that when it wears out I'll buy another one. BUT, keep in mind that a 32T oval is a 34T at the peak of the lobe, so I personally wouldn't try and gear up more with an oval vs round.

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    Is the chain length for an oval chainring the same as a round chainring of the same number of teeth? Sorry to hijack this thread, but it seems like a good place to ask...
    i had to add a link then adjust my sliders back but that was a different brand. i think the answer will depend on the chainring size/shape, and your specific setup including how much adjustment you have in your sliders/EBB/tensioner etc.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    They do provide some small advantages, and I like mine enough that when it wears out I'll buy another one. BUT, keep in mind that a 32T oval is a 34T at the peak of the lobe, so I personally wouldn't try and gear up more with an oval vs round.
    That makes sense.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    There's a very lengthy thread on here with a lot of participation from tehan, the owner of AB. Check it out: http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/o...ed-932469.html

For what it's worth, I bought one after reading every page of the thread. I've been riding with it for several months, and I highly recommend getting one. The change is subtle, but it's helped with traction while climbing and overall comfort.

I didn't do any scientific evaluation of the product, but it certainly seems to make me faster. Upon switching to the oval, I set several PRs on my first ride.