About to convert- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

About to convert

First off I would like to apolagize for the horrible cell phone picture, I really need a good digi camera.

I want to convert this Cannondale F700SX to a single speed. Does anything constitute a good canidate for a singlespeed? I noticed I usually stay in 1-3 gears anyway and I choose to mash up hills v.s spin in a granny gear. I have jumped the gun and bought a singlespeed kit with a 16t cog and spacers, I plan on using my middle ring on my current CODA crankset. Is this a wise move? Should I get a single speed specific chainring? I have a old Shimano Alvio rear derailuer that I plan on using as a tensioner....unless I happen to have a magic ratio. Whatcha think?

mtbr member
    Slightly better pic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    That should get you started, but if you find your going to leave it you may want to look at some SS specific parts: a chain ring w/out shift ramps, SS cog that is wider in the center where the freehub is, a good 9speed chain will be fine (maybe use what you have?) check out the DMR STS tensioner....works awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using X-ray radiation
    ACCESS Stealth 3.0 carbon 29'er
    GT-R Pro
    Surly 1x1
    Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    I did forget to mention I do have a brand new 8 speed chain. The DMR STS tensioner looks nice, will look into it. Im really crossing my fingers hoping I will have a magic ratio though. This is the SS kit I bought.
    Conversion Kit Fixie Bike Single Speed Shimano Adaptor | eBay

mtbr member
    i just did this with an Airborne Guardian. i needed a tensioner, so i went with the DMR. great product. i ended up getting an On-One groove armada rear cog, 19t. kept my 32t front middle ring. i agree you will want to get to single specific rings. i tried a run with the 32/19, and it was to tall. so i got a surly 21t. will try it on trail hopefully tomorrow!

however, i find that the 32/19 is good for street riding and errands. its just low enough to ride most everything, but tall enough to make some speed. i do plan to get an 18t for street rides, and will put it on a second wheel for easy swaps!

pretty sure the 21 will be enough for most the trails around here.

hope this helps

this is with my 19t. bout 3mm shy of loosing a full link. a half link would help, but wont jive with my chain type.

2012 Airborne Guardian.

one chain loop
    lose the spoke guard
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Hmmmm, I live in El Paso, it is extremely mountainous here, will a 16/32 be too harsh? Should I go with a 18 or 19 and move up to the 16?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I would go with the 18

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moeslow View Post
    I would go with the 18
    I ordered one, I will try the 16 until it gets here, im doing the conversion tomorrow, and immediatley hitting some trails, cant wait.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBerNick View Post
    Hmmmm, I live in El Paso, it is extremely mountainous here, will a 16/32 be too harsh? Should I go with a 18 or 19 and move up to the 16?
    I think the Goblin is a 29'er so the 32/19 gear would be similar to a 32/17 on a 26".

I like your plan, and I say run with it. My first singlespeeds were with ramped chainrings and cogs stolen from a cassette and they worked fine. When they wear out replace them with SS specific stuff.

mtbr member
    Can't understand your wheel size. I think 32/16 is too tall for 29er (for trails). I had 32/16 on my 26er and it was OK.

But ride what you have at first - It'l give your the understanding of SS. You can change the gear later when you know what you need. It's almost impossible to achieve the magic gear - you need millions of cogs and chainrings to do that. Go with DMR tensioner - that's good stuff.

However, good luck with your conversion! Sure you'l like it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Igoreha View Post
    Can't understand your wheel size. I think 32/16 is too tall for 29er (for trails). I had 32/16 on my 26er and it was OK.

But ride what you have at first - It'l give your the understanding of SS. You can change the gear later when you know what you need. It's almost impossible to achieve the magic gear - you need millions of cogs and chainrings to do that. Go with DMR tensioner - that's good stuff.

However, good luck with your conversion! Sure you'l like it!
    Its a 26er.

mtbr member
    32/16 is rideable on a 26er - a good point to start with!

Stock, but with upgrades.
    I have the DMR STS and haven't yet converted my Caffiene f29 with the Lefty.

BTW:I love the lefty! SS you'll be a beast with the lefty. I have one with the 80mm travel 29er.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zukrider View Post
    this is with my 19t. bout 3mm shy of loosing a full link. a half link would help, but wont jive with my chain type.

Looks like you could easily lose a full link or two...

OP, +1 for the DMR tensioner. Theyre pretty cheap and work/look a whole lot better than a derailleur.

And like the others have said, as a good starting point; 32-18/19 for a 29er, and 32-16 for a 26er.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    My last SS had ramped gears too. As long as you get your chainline fairly straight you should be alright.

Members who have read this thread: 0