Aaahhhhhhh!!!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Aaahhhhhhh!!!

Pivoteer

Bonking ... not feelin' well Aaahhhhhhh!!!

Just notice I broke my Spicer Ti just underneath the downtube where the downtube meets the headtube. I will keep you posted on the results, and how it goes.

AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

rejected
    Pics??

Pivoteer

Good job! This is what CUTOMER SERVICE should be!!

Less than 2 hours after I emailed Spicer about the problem, on a Sunday by the way, I get an email back from Gene and Jessica telling me to get the frame to them ASAP and it will be fixed. No hassles, no questions. Gene even went as far as to say the diameter of my downtube was 1.25 inches and they will beef it up to 1.5 inches. How great is that, he even remembers my bike!!

I went with Spicer and Gene because I had a good feeling about him, he seemed very customer service oriented and now it shows. It is very unlikely that I could ever get response like that from a large manufacturer.

Well the good news is that I also have a KHS Solo-One hanging in my garage, so off I go to switch out my components and do my normal Tuesday ride with the guys. It will be tough without the ol' Spicer to get me along, that KHS is one heavy ride!! Take Care all, i wish I get pics, but it is a hairline crack and my Digital camera can't seem to focus on it.

mtbr member

How did you know?

Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    Just notice I broke my Spicer Ti just underneath the downtube where the downtube meets the headtube. I will keep you posted on the results, and how it goes.

AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
    Was the frame creaking and then you carefully inspected it? Or did you just happen to notice while cleaning?

My frame cracked last December, but at the top tube/seat tube junction. Gene took very good care of me. The frame was repaired and modified to correct the problem. He also covered the extra cost to have the cable guides re-positioned below the top tube. I had the frame back in 4 weeks.

Your story has got me nervous. I guess I better keep a watch on my frame.

Good luck,
    Keith

Pivoteer

Kind Of???

I was having terrible creaking from the front end, I inspected it after every ride and never noticed anything unusual. began to think it was my headset (king) or my Fox fork. After washing my bike Sunday I noticed some black grease like stuff near the weld, when I washed it I saw the crack. It followed the weld perfectly and was very hard to see, the only way I noticed it was the fracture that went up both sides of the downtube. Otherwise I may have never seen it. I am just curoius if it was cracked along the weld and I just couldn't see it? Gene got back to me ASAP and said it would be taken care of right away.

The only thing I am nervouse about is the type of riding I do and the having the same thing happen again. Here in Phoenix, things are very rocky, and rough. 2 foot drops are as common as sand in the desert. I don't even ride the real nasty stuff anymore.

Take a very good look, I was not mad by the problem, since Gene will make it right. I am just glad I found it before something really bad happened on the granite rock!!!

Pivoteer

Also...

I put my headset and fork on my spare KHS Solo One and it seems to be silent, so I do not know how long this creaking has actually been the frame. But it certainly seems that the creaking I have had for a while was the frame.

mtbr member

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    I put my headset and fork on my spare KHS Solo One and it seems to be silent, so I do not know how long this creaking has actually been the frame. But it certainly seems that the creaking I have had for a while was the frame.
    My frame creaked very badly before I finally noticed the crack. At times, it sounded like it was coming from the front end. I really thought it was my fork (ti) or headset (King).

I have only had a chance to ride it once since I got it back and there was no creaking. I know if it breaks again, Gene will be there to back it up.

Send some of that Phoenix sun/warm this way please.

Members who have read this thread: 0