Probably drunk right now

Aaahhh.... What a Rush....

Where to begin? Last night I rode singletrack for the first time in 6 months at the standing Tuesday night ride in Kansas City: Taco Tuesday. The trail is one that Diamond Dave and I rode almost every morning last summer. It's one of my favorite trails in the Kansas City area: Blue River Park.

I was a little apprehensive about the ride. Would my shoulder blow up? Would I be able to pedal my bike? Would my 2:1 ratio be too much after my 6-month hiatus from riding?

After a few minutes of riding, I settled back in to my bike and the trail like a comfy set of house slippers. My lungs were heaving, my legs were protesting and I was back! Smiling, laughing, conversing with good friends on the trail.

As luck would have it not only did I ride with Dave, but I rode with two other good friends and two people I'd never met before. One of the friends, Nate was also the Trail Steward for the trails we were riding. He and his crew had been very busy over the winter, building a new section of the trail above the two existing trails. The current name for this trail is cleverly enough, "The Upper Trail". But I'm getting ahead of myself...

The ride started from the parking lot of a bar that serves pitchers of Guinness. Eventually, our ride would culminate in 1/2-price burgers and pitchers of the good stuff, but we started out on a little fire road for a spin. Off the fire road, we dipped in to some singletrack, crossed the river and the ride began.... As far as rides go, it wasn't the most epic, certainly not the longest but without a doubt, one of my most memorable.

We hit the trails and I settled in to my flow. The lines remained the same, my shoulder felt fatigued but pain free and I was ripping singletrack with my friends for the first time in half a year. There were new sections that improved the flow, made me whoop and made the ride faster. And then we hit the Upper Trail.

The Upper Trail is technical and flowing. 6" to 2' ledges and drops dot the trail every 50 feet or so. The entire trail will be completely ridable once I figure out the lines, but I walked a lot of it, and it was great! We also had a couple of mechanicals so we were able to stop and play on the rocks, pick lines, BS and generally have a great time. We turned around, rode it backwards and had more fun picking out lines going back.

Back on familiar trails, I lead out, flowing the lines. The SSer's (3 out of 5) wound up in front somehow ;-) and we ripped through the trees. The setting sun provided some interesting contrasts as we rode in and out of the shadows of the KC Ents, basking in their forest.

1 mile from the end of the ride, my legs finished their ride. My quads were starting to bind up on the climbs and I relished the onset of the cramps. I have a long way to go to get back in to riding shape, but this was step #1 in what will be a fantastic journey.

Back at the trailhead (bar), we loaded up our bikes, peeled off sweat soaked lycra, changed in to fresher clothes and headed to the bar for those 1/2 priced burgers, pitchers of Guinness and mountain biking discussions with friends, old and new. Ah yes, it's good to be back.

The Morning After
    My shoulder feels stiff, but not hurt. Just like my legs. I'm going to take it slow and ease back in to it but as I sit at my desk typing this, I'm already anticipating my morning rides with Dave. I'm looking forward to being on the trails as the forest comes alive to meet the new day.

Ken "Riding Again" in KC
    Last edited by Ken in KC; 05-25-2005 at 07:12 AM.

bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    Where to begin? Last night I rode singletrack for the first time in 6 months at the standing Tuesday night ride in Kansas City: Taco Tuesday. The trail is one that Diamond Dave and I rode almost every morning last summer. It's one of my favorite trails in the Kansas City area: Blue River Park.

I was a little apprehensive about the ride. Would my shoulder blow up? Would I be able to pedal my bike? Would my 2:1 ratio be too much after my 6-month hiatus from riding?

After a few minutes of riding, I settled back in to my bike and the trail like a comfy set of house slippers. My lungs were heaving, my legs were protesting and I was back! Smiling, laughing, conversing with good friends on the trail.

As luck would have it not only did I ride with Dave, but I rode with two other good friends and two people I'd never met before. One of the friends, Nate was also the Trail Steward for the trails we were riding. He and his crew had been very busy over the winter, building a new section of the trail above the two existing trails. The current name for this trail is cleverly enough, "The Upper Trail". But I'm getting ahead of myself...

The ride started from the parking lot of a bar that serves pitchers of Guinness. Eventually, our ride would culminate in 1/2-price burgers and pitchers of the good stuff, but we started out on a little fire road for a spin. Off the fire road, we dipped in to some singletrack, crossed the river and the ride began.... As far as rides go, it wasn't the most epic, certainly not the longest but without a doubt, one of my most memorable.

We hit the trails and I settled in to my flow. The lines remained the same, my shoulder felt fatigued but pain free and I was ripping singletrack with my friends for the first time in half a year. There were new sections that improved the flow, made me whoop and made the ride faster. And then we hit the Upper Trail.

The Upper Trail is technical and flowing. 6" to 2' ledges and drops dot the trail every 50 feet or so. The entire trail will be completely ridable once I figure out the lines, but I walked a lot of it, and it was great! We also had a couple of mechanicals so we were able to stop and play on the rocks, pick lines, BS and generally have a great time. We turned around, rode it backwards and had more fun picking out lines going back.

Back on familiar trails, I lead out, flowing the lines. The SSer's (3 out of 5) wound up in front somehow ;-) and we ripped through the trees. The setting sun provided some interesting contrasts as we rode in and out of the shadows of the KC Ents, basking in their forest.

1 mile from the end of the ride, my legs finished their ride. My quads were starting to bind up on the climbs and I relished the onset of the cramps. I have a long way to go to get back in to riding shape, but this was step #1 in what will be a fantastic journey.

Back at the trailhead (bar), we loaded up our bikes, peeled off sweat soaked lycra, changed in to fresher clothes and headed to the bar for those 1/2 priced burgers, pitchers of Guinness and mountain biking discussions with friends, old and new. Ah yes, it's good to be back.

The Morning After
    My shoulder feels stiff, but not hurt. Just like my legs. I'm going to take it slow and ease back in to it but as I sit at my desk typing this, I'm already anticipating my morning rides with Dave. I'm looking forward to being on the trails as the forest comes alive to meet the new day.

Ken "Riding Again" in KC
    congratulations! you're making me want to go for another ride....
    People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up.
    Tom Waits

Account Retired
    Well Done!

I look forward to our next ride.......Gnome-Fest?

g

Des(s)ert Rat
    So glad to hear! The ol' ss will spank you back into shape in no time.

34N 118W

mmmmm...

discount meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    Eventually, our ride would culminate in 1/2-price burgers and pitchers of the good stuff

Probably drunk right now

Bad time of year

Quote Originally Posted by LakeRaven
    Well Done!

I look forward to our next ride.......Gnome-Fest?

g
    Gnome-Fest falls as a really bad time of year for me: Schools just started, it's 3 weeks from Bonktoberfest, there's usually a local 12/24 hour race on or near the same weekend. I know, blah, blah blah.

I'm heading to Peoria on the weekend of June 10 to ride, drink and ride some more. Any chance you and Bethany would be able to head down?

Ken