Aaahh...back in the fold- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Aaahh...back in the fold

Started the year SS'd on my chameleon, then put the gears back on for a MTB festival...remembered why I like this bike soo much as a SS...so got a lighter fork, converted back, and zen has returned

Reviewer/Tester
    ...Excellent..

R.
    It is inevitable ...

faster than walking

Into the fold...

Cheers!
    I am a spankin' new member of the forums and a new convert to the ways of pedals and wheels. My wife and I opened up a bike/ski shop Labor Day weekend. We went to Interbike to figure what bikes to buy for next year. I came back stricken with bike fever, and I hope I never recover. I have hardly ridden since my early 20's, and now I wish I could ride every day.

The reason I have chosen to make my first post in this category is because I am taken by the humble yet fierce spirit of single speed riders and what they seem to represent. Forgoing technological assistance in favor of pushing the body to its limits bespeaks true passion.

I am also a third generation cheap-ass, and the minimalist nature of single speeding lends itself to a miserly approach.

If it were not 11:30 at night, and my bike weren't in the garage, and I weren't loath to wake up the dog and subsequently everyone else in the house I would haul in my 1989(?) Giant Iguana and photograph it so I could post pictures for you all to see my initial stage of converting it into a single speed machine.
    Although I have uttered many a foul word and even hurled an implement or two, I have thoroughly enjoyed the edifying journey that has been my process of goofing around with this old arse mountain bike.

My wife and I have placed our Spring order for a line of mountain bikes, and taken advantage of a 2005 closeout deal to score ourselves some otherwise god-awful-expensive full-suspension bikes. I wonder how much I'll ride mine.

Reviewer/Tester
    Welcome Cody. I can see a custom singlespeed in your future..

R.
    It is inevitable ...

faster than walking

Thank you Rainman

This post is all to hell. It was supposed to show photos of my bike that I took after doing some hack modifications to it, in the interests of converting it to single speed. I was very excited by my progress at the time.

The euphoria has long since worn off.
    And I seem to have screwed up my photos, which is just as well.

My bike looks like crap. it is so old and I don't even know how old.

I have no time and less money to mess with it. I can't even get the &@#%!!!! cassette off the freewheel. It is so old it doesn't have splines on the freewheel. Damn old bike.
    Last edited by Cody Broken; 11-02-2006 at 04:51 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0