9er for 26" homers- Mtbr.com
    Apr 2007

9er for 26" homers

Just got done street test riding a Canfield Nimble 9 (thanks Chris!). Ok, I am in love. Granted it was just a ride on the pavement, but the bike is sick. 16.25" chainstays meant crisp turns and 26"-like nimbleness. Manuals, hops were done with ease. Blast to ride. My only concern is how it will do on climbs.

Chris @ Canfield is going to let me take it out on the trails, so I'll report back after a proper trail ride. But I was sold after the first minute on the bike and I'm already making plans for the build. I believe this means goodbye to my old friend, 99 Stumpjumper.

banned
    Tops on my list for a (hopefully near-) future build. Would love to figure out a way to test ride one first.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I'll be interested in your opinion on the bike. I've been following it a little on the 29er forum, and it seems like there is a movement to 29ers built like the Nimble 9. The Canfield might have the best geometry, on paper in any case.

You did forget to mention that it fits 2.4" tires, even with the short chainstays.

Cool as this bike is, it won't solve some of my other 29er dislikes- the front wheel flop (not a huge issue) and the amazingly turdy spin up with the rear wheel (bothers me a lot).

Apr 2007
    Also, the blue paint glows in the dark.

It will be interesting to see how it handled on the trails. The steep stuff is what concerns me with such a high head tube.

Wheel wise, my $150 WTB Laserdiscs pretty much suck nuts. Heavy and flimsy. I need a quality set laced up.

Doh! umarth (sort of ) likes a 29er. World must be ending.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

surly inbred
    That Nimble's been on my radar, but I'm too comfy on the El Mar right now. I can run the 2.4 Ardents & two different cogs at reasonable chainstay lengths with a half link. If the Canfield were a **** hair lighter I think I'd bite harder.

Still yummy looking, though.

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutBum View Post
    That Nimble's been on my radar, but I'm too comfy on the El Mar right now. I can run the 2.4 Ardents & two different cogs at reasonable chainstay lengths with a half link. If the Canfield were a **** hair lighter I think I'd bite harder.

Still yummy looking, though.
    I spoke to the owner and he said they may be doing sliders for the Yelli, which is a full pound lighter. I believe the Nimble (Med) is 5.25lbs (?), so a smidge lighter than the El Mar.

surly inbred
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    I spoke to the owner and he said they may be doing sliders for the Yelli, which is a full pound lighter.
    Yeah, but have you looked at it? It might ride like a dream but it's unsightly as ****. (no offense intended, of course)

I'm looking forward to your field report on the N9.

Apr 2007
    Took the Nimble 9 out this evening. Here is a summary, but it is totally off. GPS Kit app seems to be pretty unreliable, as about 50% of the time, it comes up with some bogus numbers. I'm going back to Cyclemeter.

(I met a friend at the top, who I hadn't seen in 4 years, which accounts for the 15 minute stopped time)

Anyway, this trail is about 3 miles up and down (so 6 miles altogether) and 1,300 ft gain (I rode from the house, hence the 17 miles on the GPS). It's got some decent climbing and few tech sections. Half is rock gardens with some decent softball to football sized rocks. The bike again, is a Medium Nimble 9, and for this ride, I tried to mimic riding my SS's and was kept at 32x19-ish.

First, let me say that the Maxxis Ikon's rock as a rear tire and are subpar as a front. I was longing for my Rampages. They weren't too confidence inspiring on the loose stuff. But they rolled pretty fast, which I liked.

About the ride: Right off the bat, it felt a little weird. I've always ridden XC, so this AM riding position felt like I was on a lounge chair. Not a bad thing, but different. Once I hit the trails, though, with all the standing, this was less noticeable. This trail is a steady climb all the way to the top, with a decent techy section towards the top. This is where I was a bit skeptical on, as the slack angles and high head tube, along with short chain stays could mean problems. However, I was surprised by its climbing prowess. On some of the steeper sections where I really had to lean back quite a bit on my El Mariachi to get some traction, I found I didn't have to lean back as far, and traction was a-plenty. Whether this was the Ikon's, geo, or combo of both, I don't know. But I charged through sections I barely eeked by with the El Mar. I was worried about the front end wandering. That never was an issue. But again, I kept it at 32x19, so I was standing and mashing the whole time. Lastly, the best thing about this bike was the maneuverability. Bobbing and weaving through the tech section was done with much more ease on this bike. Thing turns on a dime.

Downhill. Disclaimer--I suck at downhills. I've waved people by plenty o-times. Anyway, I was still excited to start charging. The first rocky section I hit, I may have been too excited, as I think I had my foot turned a bit, and half way through, my foot came off. My butt fortunately found the seat, but my hand came flying off as well, trying to balance myself. Flying through this rock garden, with good-sized rocks jutting up everywhere, steering with one hand with one leg dangling, I just prayed I wouldn't crash. Luckily, and I don't know how I didn't crash, but I made it through. I'm still puckered up from it. Rest of the ride went smooth. I definitely felt more confident going down some of the sections compared to the El Mar. Only thing I regret is not switching out the front wheel with mine, which had Rampages. I just couldn't trust those Ikon's. I also don't think the Fox fork was set up too stiff and with not enough travel. I think 120mm would be great for this bike.

The bike performed. I think it's a solid bike. There are a few things I didn't like.

First, low BB. I had more pedal strikes than normal. Geo figures confirmed this, which I was unaware of. Second, high-speed descents were a little twitchy, due to the shorter wheelbase. Last, I could see the high headtube being trouble if you were to sit and spin up steeper stuff. But this doesn't apply here in the SS forum, so whatever.

I am definitely going to get one. It's just a fun bike all around. I'm not sure on the sizing, as the medium felt like I was on the very cusp of going next size up. And this was with a 31" handlebar, too. (That's 787mm for you metric nerds). I'll have to sit on the Large one more time before pulling the trigger.

Here are some mandatory pics. I didn't take much, as I was having too much fun and it was getting late.

(Saddle hadn't been raised yet in this pic)

Next to the El Mar. Couldn't really line them up right.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Makes me wish I had a lot of money. The BB issue is one that gives me pause. The BB height on my current 29er is too low. How high is the Canfield?

I really like the write up. It sounds like the 29er I'd want if I were able to select one for trail riding...

Apr 2007
    Found out the fork was at 80mm. The BB drop is 70mm (compared to 60mm @ 100mm fork travel on the El Mar). However, at 100mm, the drop is only at 63mm and 120mm is 56. So that shouldn't be much of a concern.

I'm placing the order. In blue. Decided to stick with medium, as I'll have a 100mm fork on there with an 80mm stem, which should fit pretty good.

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth View Post
    ... It sounds like the 29er I'd want if I were able to select one for trail riding...
    Sell the Flight. Sell the Fuji frame. Buy the N9 and swap everything over.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Sell the Flight. Sell the Fuji frame. Buy the N9 and swap everything over.
    I need both. One bike for singletrack and one for hitting up the logging roads, road rides and occasional singletrack. And something for commuting as well.

It goes on the maybe one day list.

All 26.5" all the time!
    The geometry looks interesting, but with the current hub standards I'd never be able to build a wheelset that would be light and stiff enough for my tastes.

Apr 2007
    I need both. One bike for singletrack and one for hitting up the logging roads, road rides and occasional singletrack. And something for commuting as well.

It goes on the maybe one day list.
    Your trip to Utard and my trip to Orygon, neither of which will happen, you can check out the Nimble. The frame was ordered yesterday.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    What travel did you have the fork set at? What travel is the bb drop calculated at?

Apr 2007
    CB2 - As I said above, it was at 80mm, so the bb drop was at 70mm. Crude measurement gave me 11-11.5" ground clearance. I'll be running a 100mm fork, so the drop will be at 63mm, which isn't much different from where I'm currently at now. I'd like to go 120mm some day (53mm bb drop), but that will have to wait.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    CB2 - As I said above, it was at 80mm, so the bb drop was at 70mm. Crude measurement gave me 11-11.5" ground clearance. I'll be running a 100mm fork, so the drop will be at 63mm, which isn't much different from where I'm currently at now. I'd like to go 120mm some day (53mm bb drop), but that will have to wait.
    Funny. I scoured your posts looking for that info so I wouldn't be redundant.
    Need. More. Coffee!!!

In that case, I don't think I'd like it, but I've said that about a lot of things (i.e. singlespeeds, 29'ers, fixed gears, etc...); too much of a XC kind of guy.

Apr 2007
    It's definitely not your typical XC bike. But I don't feel like it's an all-out AM bike, either. But it's definitely a fun "playful" bike. You at least need to demo one.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    It's definitely not your typical XC bike. But I don't feel like it's an all-out AM bike, either. But it's definitely a fun "playful" bike. You at least need to demo one.
    Okay, when can you get here?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    Okay, when can you get here?
    Charlie - if you are super curious - Storrs Cycle Center had a Yelli Screamy on their floor this summer. I suspect at some point they'll also have a Nimble 9 there as well.

It is a cool shop and could be a good road trip. Bring a bike with you and you could visit the shop, and either do a good road ride around Storrs/Mansfield, or hit some singletrack out at Mansfield Hollow and the like.

I'd call first though to be sure they had one for you to look at/test ride.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG View Post
    Charlie - if you are super curious - Storrs Cycle Center had a Yelli Screamy on their floor this summer. I suspect at some point they'll also have a Nimble 9 there as well.

It is a cool shop and could be a good road trip. Bring a bike with you and you could visit the shop, and either do a good road ride around Storrs/Mansfield, or hit some singletrack out at Mansfield Hollow and the like.

I'd call first though to be sure they had one for you to look at/test ride.
    I'd probably more interested in the Yelli Screamy, as I have 2 good steel bikes.
    I still want p nut to come over my house with bikes; take him on a TdT!

Apr 2007
    I'm always up for some wicked-good chowda.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I'm just waiting for a delivery and I'm on my way...

Apr 2007
    What I wouldn't give for a bucket of that right now. Being out in the middle of a desert, it's hard to get good seafood.

So in the year two thousand-never-will-happen, I'll take a coast to coast road trip and ride with all-y'all.

Ovaries on the Outside
    This is perfect. We can meet in Utard (Twin Falls, ID?) and I can borrow a N9 and a Singular Swift.

I probably won't have anything worth borrowing, but if the next hour goes right, I will have 26" and 29" MCF. ****ing fun.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Man, I got neg repped on this thread. Negative rep doesn't bother me in the slightest, but the ****ing 'tard did it because he disagreed that 29ers flop and are harder to spin up. Damn the bastard, I can't even tell him to stop ****ing his mom and actually ride a bike and he might agree with me...

Apr 2007
    Got your back. Wow, never thought I'd live to see round two of reps.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Got your back. Wow, never thought I'd live to see round two of reps.
    Man, full cycle indeed. I can rep you agin', so I am gonna have to start trying the regulars...

surly inbred
    GPS Kit app seems to be pretty unreliable, as about 50% of the time, it comes up with some bogus numbers.
    I've learned that quite a few of pre-iPhone 4 users have more issues than me. I still swear GPS Kit is the ****.

About the ride: Right off the bat, it felt a little weird. I've always ridden XC, so this AM riding position felt like I was on a lounge chair. Not a bad thing, but different.
    Your feedback is interesting.. reminds me of my first go-rounds on the Inbreds. I found the 456's were very neutral. Not xc, but also not so slack as to feel like a slug.

I need both. One bike for singletrack and one for hitting up the logging roads, road rides and occasional singletrack. ...
    I keep contemplating a 2nd sled. The El Mar would be a sweet 1x10 for the long grunts & perhaps a Nimble as the everyday ss? NImble is good here in the swervy East.

No. Just ****ing no. I hate living here sometimes.

Damn the bastard, I can't even tell him to stop ****ing his mom and actually ride a bike and he might agree with me...
    I still think it blows that rep can be anonymous.

Apr 2007
    ... if the next hour goes right, I will have 26" and 29" MCF. ****ing fun.
    Did it go right?

I've learned that quite a few of pre-iPhone 4 users have more issues than me. I still swear GPS Kit is the ****.
    I've got an iPhone 4. Not sure why it's doing this.
    EDIT: I'm still running an old software, due to it being jailbroken and me enjoying some non-Apple certified apps. I'll probably upgrade soon, though, since iOS5 is coming out. Maybe this is the issue.

I keep contemplating a 2nd sled. The El Mar would be a sweet 1x10 for the long grunts & perhaps a Nimble as the everyday ss? NImble is good here in the swervy East...
    That would be a killer duo.

BTW, not sure what happened to the pics. Maybe the site's down.
    Last edited by p nut; 09-16-2011 at 08:19 PM.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I think negative rep shouldn't be anonymous, and I certainly don't like the idea that people will negative rep you for a discussion point. Bleh.

Bike needs are weird, right now I'm on a purge and I still have five in the garage. I'm trying to get down to three, maybe two. I have the 26" MCF as my main trail rider, and it is SS. Because I enjoy SS so much on singletrack, and because I like suspension during the summers and need specialized mud tires for the other eight months, it can't do anything else. The new MCF 29er (uh, so I got it) and I'm gonna run it 1x8/9 so I can take it offroad, commute, tour, train, etc. That is my favorite thing about 29ers- really versatile, cause frankly, the 26" line up is either commuting tires or mountain tires. I have some 45mm Smart Sams and they roll well, go offroad ok and 26" bike have nothing to compare it with.

So yes, get the Mariachi geared and the N9 SS. If you ride much, you want options.

trail rat
    done
    Last edited by slocaus; 09-18-2011 at 04:34 PM.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

Ovaries on the Outside
    Last edited by umarth; 09-17-2011 at 11:45 AM. Reason: ****ing asshats.

trail rat
    fini
    Last edited by slocaus; 09-18-2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: no need to be a jerk or point fingers
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

singletrack bound

P Nut

tell me your not selling the El Mar?
    I'm just getting used to mine and digging it!
    I'm looking for a 29 rear wheel build w/cassette to be able to convert 1x9 if needed!

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone No Balone View Post
    tell me your not selling the El Mar?
    I'm just getting used to mine and digging it!
    I'm looking for a 29 rear wheel build w/cassette to be able to convert 1x9 if needed!
    Tone - I think the El Mariachi would be a little too redundant? I was going to sell the Stumpjumper instead, but I thought about it some more and selling the El Mar would make more sense, though I may regret it.

After properly demo'ing the Nimble, it is great for 99% of the rides I do and would prefer it to the El Mariachi. I don't plan on doing any ultra-distance events anytime soon, but when that time comes, I may look into buying an El Mar again, as it is a great bike.

surly inbred
    Tone - I think the El Mariachi would be a little too redundant? I was going to sell the Stumpjumper instead, but I thought about it some more and selling the El Mar would make more sense, though I may regret it.

After properly demo'ing the Nimble, it is great for 99% of the rides I do and would prefer it to the El Mariachi. I don't plan on doing any ultra-distance events anytime soon, but when that time comes, I may look into buying an El Mar again, as it is a great bike.
    Awww ****. You're killing me, dude.

Killing me.

Apr 2007
    Awww ****. You're killing me, dude.

Killing me.
    Don't worry, I'm still doing the Tour Divide with you.

surly inbred
    Don't worry, I'm still doing the Tour Divide with you.
    Yeah, I penciled you in...

So in the year two thousand-never-will-happen...
    In all seriousness, the Nimble sounds like a winner.

Sometimes I feel like that commercial... you know, when you just plunked the cash on iPhone X and then iPhone X+1 comes out the next day. ****.

**** it. I dig my El Mar. It's four bikes in one. Someday when uMartha bequeaths me his tappy shoes I'll make millions and ride an assload of sleds. Til then, I'll be looking forward to your build pics.

Apr 2007

So far, so good.

mtbr member
    I love mine. The Nimble 9 makes a sweet singlespeed. I'll offer mine up for a demo to anyone in the Houston area. I thought it was goung to turn like a school bus or even worse a Vassago! But it was more responsive than a Niner MCR I had on a short lived trade.

Here is how mine is built up:

Frame: Canfield Brothers Nimble 9 Black (Medium)
    Seat post Collar: Salsa, red
    Headset: Chris King, red
    Fork: Reba XX 100mm G2 f1mm offset Stem: Race Face Dues XC 90mm +\- 5deg.
    Spacers: Forte Carbon fiber
    Handlebar: Forte alum. flat bar
    Grips: Ritchey rubber grips
    Brakes: Shimano 2011 XTR XC Race
    Rotors: Hope 2 piece 160mm rotors
    Bottom Bracket: Sram GXP
    Crank set: Sram X0 carbon cranks (spider less red font)
    Ring Gear: Home Brewed Comp. spiderless ring, red
    Pedals: Crank Brothers Eggbeater 11ís (Ti)
    Seat post: Origin 8 27.2x400mm with carbon fiber seat mount
    Saddle: Selle Italia SL, red & black
    Wheel set: Stans 3.30 on Arch rims
    *Hubs: Stans 3.30 QR
    *Rims: Stans Arch
    *Tires: Specialized S-Works Renegades
    *Tubes: Stans Tubeless
    *S.S. Hub Spacer Kit: Surly
    *Rear Gear: Surly 17t steel
    Skewers: Salsa, red
    Chain: Sram Single Speed
    Last edited by Click Click Boom; 09-25-2011 at 05:00 PM.

surly inbred
    So far, so good.
    'That green' or 'that blue'?

Do you have much techy short uphill stuff? If so, how'd she fare?

Apr 2007
    'That green' or 'that blue'?

Do you have much techy short uphill stuff? If so, how'd she fare?
    Not sure how to tell you this, but......

did a lot better than the El Mar, especially in two aspects. One - short chainstays meant I could put more power down (without the rear wheel slipping). Two, easier "wheelie-ability" meant popping the front up and over was done a lot easier. This was a short trail, so I'll have to verify all of this after I get some more miles on her. I need to get the Reba up to 100mm as well.

It's the blue bike. Actually very similar to El Mar blue.