'97 Scott Vail SS Conversion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

'97 Scott Vail SS Conversion

I just finished converting my old college bike to SS. The past 5 years, it's been nothing but a kid hauler but with time on my hands and curiousity killing me, I decided to convert it to SS and see how I like it. It's still sporting the road slicks, but other than that and a black seatpost, it's done. I think it turned out pretty good. I got rid of the squishy fork and put a threadless headset with a $10 rigid I got from my LBS. Had to get a different crankset as the original did not have removable chainrings, so I picked up a beat up LX on eBay for $15 and polished it up then added a Blackspire chainring. Unofficial weight via the bathroom scale is 24 lbs....nothing fancy, but it should be fun!

'97 Scott Vail SS Conversion-dscf0252-1.jpg

'97 Scott Vail SS Conversion-dscf0249.jpg

'97 Scott Vail SS Conversion-dscf0250.jpg

'97 Scott Vail SS Conversion-dscf0251.jpg

'97 Scott Vail SS Conversion-dscf0253.jpg

mtbr member
    Sweet, I love it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    sweet! Nice and clean (as in clean lines) looking!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Nice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    thanks for the compliments...i'm really happy with the way it turned out. a question for anyone looking at this....silver or black seatpost? my old man stopped by tonight and saw it sitting in my living room (wife and kids are gone for the week, so it made it upstairs). he thinks i should take some mothers to the seatpost and shine it up. i was thinking black though. any opinions?

AZ
    banned
    Black , like the bike , good job . Enjoy .

You know my steez...
    Quote Originally Posted by seemana
    thanks for the compliments...i'm really happy with the way it turned out. a question for anyone looking at this....silver or black seatpost? my old man stopped by tonight and saw it sitting in my living room (wife and kids are gone for the week, so it made it upstairs). he thinks i should take some mothers to the seatpost and shine it up. i was thinking black though. any opinions?
    Your old man is right, and put some more Mothers on the cranks while you're at it.

Nice job on the build.
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

mtbr member
    Black post would look good with the black frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnV
    Your old man is right, and put some more Mothers on the cranks while you're at it.

Nice job on the build.

Man...I guess I need to get out the crank puller again and get back at those cranks. I polished them once already with Mothers, but maybe I'll do it again. Maybe some real fine grain sandpaper too to get rid of some of the small swirls/scratches?

mtbr member
    May 2011

Seatpost size

I know this thread is old, but I'm trying to figure out what size seatpost a Vail takes. Anybody know?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by goatalope View Post
    I know this thread is old, but I'm trying to figure out what size seatpost a Vail takes. Anybody know?

28.2....more details on original specs can be found here.

throw up some pics of your Vail if you can. i can honestly say i have never seen one other than my own.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks. I'll take a picture soon. I saw BikePedia, but didn't want to believe that 28.2 was correct, simply because I don't have the stock seatpost and 28.2 seems like a pain to find.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'll double check the actual post tonight sometime and let you know if I find anything different. But yeah, the 28.2 is not an easy post to source. That's why mine is still silver and not black.

Ovaries on the Outside
    That bike is the tits.

-uMarty

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Bringin this back from the dead with a few Qs: I'm going to look at a scott vail this weekend for my wife to use as a commuter/mild trail bike. We'll convert it to SS if the components aren't working great.

Looks like it comes with all STX components but the front rings are not removeable? If this is true it's a shame cause that five bolt crank looks pretty nice.

Anything else I should know about when checking one out?

mtbr member
    This thread has me wondering about setting up my '96 Scott Yecora as a commuter SS. I think mine has the same crank and the rings are removable, but, i don't know where you would source a replacement. 1 bolt takes off all 3 rings. I actually love this frame. Wish it had rear disc.

Mine looks like this one (borrowed from the net).

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    from the bit of info I've found on the net, there are two different ways the cranks were set up:

1. The big/middle ring were bolted to the five bolts seen at a 94 bdc pattern, which I believe you can still get replacement rings as it was common.

2. Those bolt holes you see are illusory and the big ring was bolted to the middle which was in turn bolted to the granny which was bolted to the inside of the crank at 58 bdc, see this thread:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/t...ks-380339.html

So depending on which ones you have, you could rock them for SS. Someone who was mtbing at that time please correct me if I'm wrong on this because I was not into this stuff back then and I'm just regurgitating the little info I've found on the web about this issue

Members who have read this thread: 0