'91 Rockhopper....It Lives!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

'91 Rockhopper....It Lives!

Just finished (for now) refurb on my old Specialized. It was the first MTB I owned & used while a student at App St. I had blown out the FS air&oil & basically left the bike out in the elements for 4 years hoping someone would steal who could rehab it & get some use out of it. Thank goodness no one took the bait. After witnessing my old buddies conversion of his 1st MTB (early '90's Cannondale) to a SS, I was hooked & began working on this conversion last Nov. Just got it finished yesterday & put on the finishing touches by adding the original Onza bar ends that were on the bike when I purchased used in '92. Haven't hit the trail just yet as it was snowing yesterday, but a trip to Bent Creek will be in my near future this week as temps climb close to 70. Long-term goal is to rehab the paint job, but I kind of wanted to see it back in action as it was 15 yrs ago for notalgic reasons. Hope you all enjoy & thank you for the inspiration.

Before---

After---

AZ
    banned
    Nice . FWIW , you might be able to lose the tensioner by using a half link with those semi horizontal dropouts .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Nice . FWIW , you might be able to lose the tensioner by using a half link with those semi horizontal dropouts .
    LBS mech mentioned possibly doing that, but he advised not to initially & I don't know enough to make an educated determination. He installed the tensioner, fixed the hub from me butchering (trying to learn), cabled the brakes & installed the shock. I reslize this is the majority of the work, but what little I did myself just stripping it down & installing some of the items provided me basic knowledge which was one of the goals. Have alot more to learn & enjoying the process. Thnks for the feedback.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    very cool!
    I had an old hardrock from a similar era that i wish i kept. sometimes the old simple bikes are just more fun.

btw, looks like your handlebars are sweeping more down than back. might wanna try rotating them a little.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    very cool!
    I had an old hardrock from a similar era that i wish i kept. sometimes the old simple bikes are just more fun.

btw, looks like your handlebars are sweeping more down than back. might wanna try rotating them a little.
    I believe you're right...never even noticed...thanks for the tip!

Members who have read this thread: 0