Thread: 9 speed chains

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

9 speed chains

Who uses 9 speed chains on their SS setup? And if so which one? Thanks

mtbr member
    I did when I converted a bike last year. I used the KMC X9 (?) that I already had and it worked great.

If you're buying a new chain then there really isn't any reason to not go with an 8spd chain though. They are usually cheaper for comparable models and supposedly a little stronger than 9spd. Price is the main factor for me though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    FWIW, not a SS, but I'm using a 9spd SRAM PC69 chain that I conveniently already had on my Rohloff equipped bike.

Standard 1/32 16T Rohloff supplied sprocket in the rear & cheapo Dimension 40T aluminum up front.

Only have about 200 mostly on-road miles on it so far but no issues as of yet. Definitely quieter than the SS SRAM PC-1 Nickel 1/8" chain I was trying to use.

Had to switch to the 1/8" when the bike was SS because the Gusset cogs I bought wouldn't accept a 1/32" very well -- there was binding -- which I didn't think was good.

EDIT: +1 on what boomn wrote about price. I definitely would have never bought a 9 spd chain to use on the bike! Just happened to be handy & since I don't have any other bikes built up it wasn't going to be used any time soon. My usual limit for a chain is ~$15 but I try to buy them on sale or with a discount code.
    Last edited by Sometimes; 11-04-2009 at 07:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Im using a 9 speed Deore lx chain on my bike now with vertical dropouts. Do note that your cog has to be able to take the narrow chain if you are doing a conversion like such.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I've used 9spd and 8spd. They are pretty nice. Feels like they stretch less than the 1/8 chains.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    You guys probably all know this (I'm just a non-SS lurker), but don't ever use a SRAM quicklink on your SS. I sold a chain to a SS guy at the trailhead one day so he could finish his riding day, and against my advice, he used the quicklink so he could get going more quickly. It broke so spectacularly that ......... well, you can probably guess the rest of the story.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    I've been using a SRAM 9 spd. happy with mine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    You guys probably all know this (I'm just a non-SS lurker), but don't ever use a SRAM quicklink on your SS. I sold a chain to a SS guy at the trailhead one day so he could finish his riding day, and against my advice, he used the quicklink so he could get going more quickly. It broke so spectacularly that ......... well, you can probably guess the rest of the story.
    I have always used a Powerlink on my chains on my SS without a single failure. I have even used a chain with three Powerlinks for a couple of months.

Some people might occasionally have a problem, but I would guess there are a lot more who don't have any problems.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Perhaps he was in such a hurry he failed to properly 'seat' the plates.

I've used them before without issue but never on a SS. I prefer riveting/diriveting though. Just don't have enough confidence in the quick links as anything more than a temporary fix.

local trails rider
    I have Shimano CN-7701 on two bikes. Best chain I've ever used but I have not used them all. I think I have a Powerlink on both of those chains.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I just put a PC 971 on my latest build.
    I always use a power-link. I actually will sometime use 2 power-links if I know I'm going to have to make drastic gearing changes over the life of the chain.

Birthday Collector
    If you are starting from scratch, go 1/8" front and rear with appropriate ring and cog, and you will not have noise problems (1/8" chain moving around on a 3/32" tooth) and it will last a lot longer, and be more "tolerant" of mud and sand, sticks, etc... Probably not really and stronger in tension than a good 8-speed chain, but there is a lot more area for the bushing to load on the tooth surface and they wear a lot longer than a narrower ring/cog combo will. Doesn't cost too much in weight either...
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2
    I just put a PC 971 on my latest build.
    I always use a power-link. I actually will sometime use 2 power-links if I know I'm going to have to make drastic gearing changes over the life of the chain.
    Same here. Powerlinks have never, ever, been a weak link in any of my chains, least of which on a SS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    I have always used a Powerlink on my chains on my SS without a single failure. I have even used a chain with three Powerlinks for a couple of months.

Some people might occasionally have a problem, but I would guess there are a lot more who don't have any problems.
    I also use the powerlink on my Sram SS chain without any issues/failures.....

Monocog Masher
    Forget about 8 speed or 9 speed chains. Why use a chain that is made for a geared bike. Same with your rings?? Get a track chain. Much better.

mtbr member
    ...don't ever use a SRAM quicklink on your SS....
    I've got SRAM powerlinks on KMC 9spd chains on all 3 of my SS bikes (2 road one mountain), with 2 p-links on my SS 29er and I've never broken any of them riding pretty hard and never had any buddies break them either. If you properly install them, good chainline and all that, they're trouble free and rock solid. If dude broke a link, I'd guess he either didn't seat it proper, had bad chainline, or had a fluke manufacturing defect. I trust a power link more than I trust a re-pressed rivet on a 9spd chain, I've seen a lot of those break on others.

Back on topic, I've been real happy using the Nashbar house-branded 9spd chains, which are actually KMC Z-chains in a wrapper that says "Nashbar". You can actually see the Z logo on the plates in the pics online at Nashbar. Been happily riding with those for the last 6 years now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The quick link was torn apart like it had been put into a destructive tensile tester. He must pedal harder than all you guys! I use them on my geared bikes with never a problem, though.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Merost
    Forget about 8 speed or 9 speed chains. Why use a chain that is made for a geared bike. Same with your rings?? Get a track chain. Much better.
    see below, quoted from one of the Surly blog "spews". I know they come on strong and they are not the only authority on SS, but the limited data I've seen agrees and the 8 and 9 speed chains I've used have been great
    1/2x1/8" chains suck. Run whatever you want, but bigger isn't better here. Yeah, they're wider, but according to manufacturer-supplied data, they're not stronger and they are definitely not of better quality. Multi-speed drivetrains is where the bucks are at, and chains that work on such drivetrains are where the manufacturers of chains showcase their innovations and developments in quality. The rollers are better, the plates are better, the pins are stronger, and the construction method (riveting procedure) is better on all multi-speed 3/32" chains. I guess if you grind your chainring and chain down the handrail every night at the local pub, a bigger 1/2x1/8 " chain will last longer, but most of us don't and it won't

organically fed
    lolz.

I roll with a SRAM 9-speed and rock the powerlink.

Also, I'm freakin' badass. boomn can tell you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by w00t!
    lolz.

I roll with a SRAM 9-speed and rock the powerlink.

Also, I'm freakin' badass. boomn can tell you.
    Verily, it is as he says. w00t is the test by which chains are measured

Ovaries on the Outside
    I am going to start posting a thread about which type of chain to use on a weekly basis since the search function doesn't work.

Soft AND Tender
    Jun 2005
    The quick link was torn apart like it had been put into a destructive tensile tester. He must pedal harder than all you guys! I use them on my geared bikes with never a problem, though.

I've seen a similar thing happen on the trail, the guys nuts paid the price when the chain broke and sent him into the stem - but it was a riveted section of chain that broke and not the Powerlink!

I use an 8-sp chain with a Powerlink anyway. My wimpy legs will never put out the torque to bust a chain like that.

AZ
    banned
    SRAM 951 with a powerlink , not any probs.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Why do people think SS puts more stress on the chain....

First of all it depends on the motor primarily.

Second a SS should have a straight chain line...

Thirdly a geared bike can have much higher gearing (as well as lower gearing) than a SS.

Anyway the Cn 7701 is a great chain, for the hell of it I commute standing up and ride in top gear, actually great training...so I put a fairly high torque on the chain.

I have broken several chains (usually due to cross chaining and high torque). All broke at the power link, or connex link.

Oh and BTW I have never done my nuts with a broken chain....

I can't really understand how you can, cause your foot is still on the pedal at 6 oclock, even though it got there a little quicker than usual.

Tulsa
    wipperman
    wherever you go, there you are

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I always use Sram 8spd (low to high level) chains with the powerlink for SSing and sometimes a half link right next to it. No problems in 4 years and still using the original half link from Spicer Bikes on each chain change.... Good chit......Spot 32t ring and Shimano 18t steel cog with the half link and Singleator tensioner. Ebb's with the other Sram 8spd chains. Love em...cheap too....P.s. - I see no benefit in using an inferior 9spd chain and that is why I don't use them. 2 cents at best...

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    9 speed SRAM with a power link. Works great guys. Don't over think this.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

Hairy man
    I've used 8spd chains (with powerlink) without problems. I've used KMC and SRAM single speed chains (with powerlink) with not problem. The singlespeed chains are cheaper, so that's what I buy.
    We all get it in the end.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    From time to time I've had binding issues with half links, but I'm yet to ever have a problem with a SRAM Powerlink.

On a couple of my chains I know I've got at least two installed.

I do find that 9 speed chains stretch (SRAM PC991, 971 and DuraAce/XTR Shimano).

I'm seriously looking at having a stab at one of the higher end KMC 3/32 8 speed chains to see how they hold up.

Members who have read this thread: 0