853 frames for fg?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

853 frames for fg?

looking for a list of 853 frames with horizontal dropouts. i love the jamis dragon, but the vertical drops - more specifically chain tension - have become an issue now that i'm riding it fg. and i have no experience w ecc bb - are they strong enough to handle fg mtnbiking?

thanks.

edit: 26", please.
    ride fast...take chances...

Dinner for wolves
    Were the Gunnar SS frames 853? I can't fully recall. In any case why limit yourself to 853?
    Responds to gravity

Apr 2007
    Simple solution = ENO rear hub on the Jamis.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    check out the new Dragon One, its frame only, has Paragon style dropouts, I saw one at inter bike, Its a very nice frame. and it is 853.https://www.Jamisbikes.com/usa/thebi...none_frame.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    i have several bikes - i really like the way the 853 handles. and i could go eno, but i have a bunch of small, silly reasons i don't want to do that, from wanting to stay w/ the hub/rim that matches the front (king/flow) to seeing a couple eno hubs blow up on the trail in the middle of nowhere, etc. i'll check out that frame some more - thanks!

having said that, i am entertaining all options. an 853 frame - if i can find one at a decent price - is the first.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    If you don't mind doing an ENO hub or the forwrd components Standard shell EBB, I have a Large MCR with less than a year of riding on it I am willing to part with.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by trevrev97 View Post
    If you don't mind doing an ENO hub or the forwrd components Standard shell EBB, I have a Large MCR with less than a year of riding on it I am willing to part with.
    mcr?

the forward components ebb doesn't appear to work w sq taper.

Apr 2007
    MCR is a Niner product. You're looking for 26", so doesn't apply.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    nor am i looking for a complete bike....

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    as someone who rides fg in the dirt, i wouldn't think it'd make that much difference. most of your energy is exerted in moving the bike forward, like any other bike, ss, multi-speed, etc. the occasional back-pedaling i do, is mostly speed modulation, and it's nothing compared to stomping up a hill.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    sorry...you lost me, bro. you wouldn't think what would make much difference? frame material? chain tension? using an ebb?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Just adding the front triangle is usually the only place you'll see 853 tubing. The rear stays on most frames are still good old 4130 or comparable. If you want horizontal drops, they can be added easily by a frame repair shop and even at times smaller builders will take on these projects. I've seen people report paying from 150.00 to 450.00 (it's been a few years so that might be low) depending on if they are also getting a complete repaint and powder versus wet paint. So, you could scavenge around for a gently used 853 frame and find a shop, or try to find a discounted older frame. Yes, it's more cash but you'll end up with want you want if that's your goal.

I was headed down the same road after picking up a nashbar 853 (it looks suspiciously like an older rocky mountain frame but at 199.00) a few years back but ended up selling the bike after running it with a magic gear for about year. I missed that frame and ended up just getting it back last week.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    yeah, sorry, that was a tad unclear. my comment was in regards to the ebb. since the most notable mechanical difference between fg and ss is that in fg you can resist pedal forward movement, then the only question as to whether an ebb is suitable, is a question of the power exerted in the resistance of pedal movement.

in my experience, the forces applied in resistance of the pedals in speed modulation are nothing compared to the mashing of forward propulsion. therefore, there's nothing that would lead me to assume that and ebb would be unsuitable for fg use.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Why limit yourself to 853?
    There are some very similar, better possibly, pipes available - OX platinum and Deda 18MCDV to name but two. Far more important is who designed and built the frame, and how much thought and care they put into it.
    Some of the best frames are of 853, but also some cheap, nasty ones whose only selling point is that 853 badge.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Cannon View Post
    There are some very similar, better possibly, pipes available - OX platinum and Deda 18MCDV to name but two. Far more important is who designed and built the frame, and how much thought and care they put into it.
    Some of the best frames are of 853, but also some cheap, nasty ones whose only selling point is that 853 badge.
    limiting myself to 853 here because it's what i like for the full rigid and because i was hoping to get a solid list from which to choose after looking at prices, builder, reputation, etc. now if you knowitalls could kindly knowitall me up a list of 853s out there, i could get closer to getting my next frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by killsurfcity View Post
    yeah, sorry, that was a tad unclear. my comment was in regards to the ebb. since the most notable mechanical difference between fg and ss is that in fg you can resist pedal forward movement, then the only question as to whether an ebb is suitable, is a question of the power exerted in the resistance of pedal movement.

in my experience, the forces applied in resistance of the pedals in speed modulation are nothing compared to the mashing of forward propulsion. therefore, there's nothing that would lead me to assume that and ebb would be unsuitable for fg use.
    mashing on the pedals to go forward is almost always going to be a case of setting the bike into motion from a stand still or continuing in the direction it's already going. i would think mashing on the pedals in the opposite direction of travel to slow the bike - especially in the case of skidding (not that i would ever skid on the trail...gasp!) - would have to necessitate more torque, no?

beyond that, i ride the fg pretty similarly to the fs in that i am constantly launching roots, rocks, curbs, drops, etc. (i've had it 2-3' off the ground several times). and there have definitely been times when the force of landing the tires on the ground while traveling forward has been the catalyst to get the wheels - and therefore the gears - turning again (as opposed to my helping facilitate that by trying to time my return to pedaling with the coming back into contact with the ground). that's got to be mad torque in action.

now whether or not any of that has a detrimental affect on an ebb i have no idea since i have no experience with one.

as a side note, i sometimes feel like my wrists are going to snap in half on the landings haha. anyone else ever get that?

Bro Mountainbiker
    Be careful about a frame that is too compliant(flexy). My 1985 Schwinn Cimarron is super flexy and will drop the chain when resisting the pedals. I have to run a chain keeper.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Be careful about a frame that is too compliant(flexy). My 1985 Schwinn Cimarron is super flexy and will drop the chain when resisting the pedals. I have to run a chain keeper.
    this is actually a damb good point. i'm pretty sure the dragon flexes quite a bit. thanks!

mtbr member

Agreed...

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Cannon View Post
    I have owned at least 4 frames made from Reynolds 853 and thought they were the ultimate too. Once I branched out and started riding some other steel frames I realized that while nice, they are no better than frames built from True Temper OX Platinum (owned 2), OX Gold (owned 1) Reynolds 631( have 2 now) Tange Prestige Ultimate (owned 2), or what my current favorite bike is made of, Columbus Life if we are talking ride quality. There is a lot of hype on these forums about Reynolds 853 but I will take Columbus life over it any day. Being that it is triple butted tubing, it built up into a lighter frame (less than 4.5 lbs for 245 lb me) with less bb flex than any frame 853 or not that I have owned. The ride is smoother too, but that may just be because its a 29er and all my 853 bikes were 26ers.
    To compare apples to apples, my Tange Prestige Ultimate Voodoo Bizango was a smoother riding bike than my Reynolds 853 Voodoo Bizango. I have no idea why, but the difference was very noticeable. The 853 bike was not harsh, its just that the Tange bike was soooo smooooove, lol.
    To me, the 853 bikes have been a little smoother riding than the True Temper bikes. Again, I have no idea why, just my opinion. The 631 bikes are both very smooth riding frames too, but one is much stiffer in the bb area than the other.
    I have yet to experience the Reynolds 853 difference and all I ride is steel.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER