8 steps to become a bike brand- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

8 steps to become a bike brand

I've also posted it in the Zion forum, as the Zion brand siezes to exist... But you can do something about it!

The 8 Steps of becoming a bike brand
    1. Think of a brand name. It could be Zion, as that name was not trademarked...
    2. Think of a logo, color, geometry, material (They make everything from the cheapest 4130 chromo to Scandium or Titanium), and other options - Where the derailer hangers are, dropouts, EBB etc.
    3. Look for some chinese/ Taiwanese factories. (You can use google.) It will probably be the same factory Specialized/ Trek/ etc. are using.
    4. Contact them, and get an offer for 1000+ pieces (1/2 container). It will be 50 - 500$ a piece, depending on options and frame material. Sounds cheap? It is. If anyone needs help finding a factory, PM me.
    5. Pay (Credit card is ok as well)
    6. Wait for the ship to arrive, rent a truck and unload it in your favourite storage area.
    7. Retail it 4 times the cost (Or 3 times if you're using a dealer)
    8. If stock was cleared, decide to make another batch with more options. Otherwise, clear out your stock with (What seems to be) very cheap prices.

Good luck, and have fun.

mtbr member
    That about sums it up.

mtbr member
    I think I'm missing your point. Please clarify for those of us "slow" humans.

Steve Martin used to say: How to be a millionaire!
    First: Get a million dollars....

Many things are easier said than done.

Single and loving it
    I think I'm missing your point. Please clarify for those of us "slow" humans.
    Hmmm my guess is that he's saying you don't actually need to produce anything other than picking a name and providing frame specs to a Taiwanese company to become a bike "company" in the loose definition.

The glory of NAFTA has made this an all too true reality, but simplified quite a bit here.

mtbr member
    You definitely don't need to get 1000+ pieces. You can get good pricing at 100+ framesets.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulRider
    Hmmm my guess is that he's saying you don't actually need to produce anything other than picking a name and providing frame specs to a Taiwanese company to become a bike "company" in the loose definition.
    My point exactly.

SSSasky - You're completely right, I've added an extra 0 there.

This means that for 10K$ (Incl. logistics) you can make your own batch.
    KDX - Not nearly a million bux...

mtbr member
    That's a common practice in many industries.

mtbr member
    The Levi's I am wearing are like that...made overseas and boasting they're American.
    One of my belt loops broke this morning. dammit.

mtbr member
    ernesto: I get the funny joke, but please, less ignorance.

An engineer group designs a bridge. They get immigrants (insert: favorite immigrant/minority group who will do the work, sweat blood and tears, working for close to nothing) to complete the bridge to the designers specs and supervision. Bridge falls, who gets the blame?

The same concept / analogy can be applied to all current trends. Oh, our toys are made with paint that has lead. Oh, some dog food was tainted. The companies/individuals who commission and outsource the work have a price point: they sought the factory, they wanted the profits above supporting their own countries workforce and demands, and they point the finger when the **** hits the fan. That's weaksauce. Take the blame for being the greedy sloppy company in the first place. Most people aren't that nieve.
    Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

ridin' Mary
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord
    An engineer group designs a bridge. They get immigrants (insert: favorite immigrant/minority group who will do the work, sweat blood and tears, working for close to nothing) to complete the bridge to the designers specs and supervision. Bridge falls, who gets the blame?
    The funny thing is that this fits yules model just fine. Step 1 is pick a name. Steps 2-6 are just "get er done". Steps 7-8 are when you unload the crap you built. You just gotta hope you unload the majority of the stuff before the complaints start coming in. Then close the doors, think up a new name, and you're already at step 2 again.

mtbr member

The same concept / analogy can be applied to all current trends. Oh, our toys are made with paint that has lead. Oh, some dog food was tainted. The companies/individuals who commission and outsource the work have a price point: they sought the factory, they wanted the profits above supporting their own countries workforce and demands, and they point the finger when the **** hits the fan. That's weaksauce. Take the blame for being the greedy sloppy company in the first place. Most people aren't that nieve.

Yep.

It was too expensive for Cisco to make gear in Mexico, so they move to China. Now there is a giant counterfeit Cisco problem.

mtbr member

chill pills

Over the counter, you might be able to find some Chill Pills.
    My belt loop broke because I pulled on it weird.

Immigrants/minorities...I guess Johnny Football Hero is not to blame, even though he designed the bridge with cheap materials in mind.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    "also posted it in the Zion forum, as the Zion brand siezes to exist..." If that ain't a Freudian, then I don't know what is!

All That is Man
    Being a structural engineer, I can tell you that bridge analogy is fundamentally flawed. But I'm not sure what the argument is here so I have nothing cool or witty to add. Oh well.

Take the blame for being the greedy sloppy company in the first place.
    Blame or no blame, if theymade a lot of money doing whatever it is that got them there, they're doing it right.
    John

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulRider

The glory of NAFTA has made this an all too true reality, but simplified quite a bit here.
    NAFTA helped Taiwan, China, or any other country that is not North American? I don't understand your point. Perhaps you think that Taiwan and China are somehow involved in NAFTA or have you been watching too much CNN? Just pointing out a FREAKING huge flaw in your logic. Perhaps if the market were flooded with cheap Canadian or Mexican made frames you would be making a valid point, but as it stands you have just caused me to hope that you are not going to vote, ever, and wonder if you could, will be able to or have graduated from High School. God help us if you managed college and I would like to know the name of that college you managed to get out of to request an audit of their accreditation. Maybe I am being just a little harsh, but wake up buddy, NAFTA? What you thought it was the North Asian Free Trade Agreement? Post your goofy and uniformed political opinions somewhere else, like your blog. Don't try to look smart when you are not informed, please. Yeah it is early for me, yeah I have had too much coffee, yeah I am politically aware, so before you tell me how China stole your job because of NAFTA find out what NAFTA is. Ed

mtbr member
    ernesto, thanks for the clarification! I didn't mean for this to turn into a flame war, eek!
    Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

mtbr member

no prob

ernesto, thanks for the clarification! I didn't mean for this to turn into a flame war, eek!
    we're all friends here, and being the son of immigrants, well, it touched a chord.

As for a flame war, that wouldn't be pleasant. Fire hurts like burning, and I don't have the means to make a flame thrower.

mtbr member

Why so much hate on MTBR anyway?

The Taiwanese bicycle makers are, for the most part, wonderful people. They are hard working, intelligent, and make great product. We have some good/great bike makers here in the US as well. What exactly is all this asian hate on MTBR from? I read stuff like this here more than I expected.

mtbr member

but

Quote Originally Posted by OhNooo
    The funny thing is that this fits yules model just fine. Step 1 is pick a name. Steps 2-6 are just "get er done". Steps 7-8 are when you unload the crap you built. You just gotta hope you unload the majority of the stuff before the complaints start coming in. Then close the doors, think up a new name, and you're already at step 2 again.

But... if you came up with a cool, new or innovative specification, I would think you could avoid closing your doors and starting over. I would think you would sell your entire inventory, and then get requests for more. Nothing wrong with that eiher.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    ... and I don't have the means to make a flame thrower.
    PM me Ernesto, I have a great source for Flame Throwers made in China

mtbr member

that's

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    PM me Ernesto, I have a great source for Flame Throwers made in China
    That's something Johnny Cash wouldn't say.

Members who have read this thread: 0