700see?- Mtbr.com

Thread: 700see?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

700see?

Dare I ask if anyone has received their copy of 700see from Matt Chester?

(Don't mean to start a huge discussion....just wondering, as I haven't received mine yet here in Philly).

-Ginz

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm also really looking forward to reading it but haven't received it. I'm also on his list for a frame and can make the same comment ... looking forward to it but have no idea when/if it will materialize.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

'nuff said.

I'll keep waitin....

Thanks.

College
    Jun 2004
    what's 700see ?
    College boy

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Info here on 700see:
    http://www.mattchester.com/zine.php

...and for the waiters:
    http://mattchester.livejournal.com/

Fahrrad fahren
    August is almost over.

Anybody? Bueller?
    Fixing Frederick Coasting Carroll Wandering Washington

Squalor
    Jan 2004
    I was wondering the same thing just the other day.

LP

those are Rollercams...
    Been waiting since April, I'm figuring it's 5 bucks down the drain at this point.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WTB-rider
    Been waiting since April, I'm figuring it's 5 bucks down the drain at this point.
    It could be worse. I gave him over $2,500 almost 3 years ago for a frame. I still have nothing to show for it - and have given up cycling because of it.

those are Rollercams...
    Quote Originally Posted by nubber
    It could be worse. I gave him over $2,500 almost 3 years ago for a frame. I still have nothing to show for it - and have given up cycling because of it.

Agreed, the constant string of apologies that were offered on his website for failing to meet committments and obligations grew tiresome after a while. I think you're entitled to a frame or a refund, ASAP.

Let the arrows fly.

Where's Toto?
    3-years? I never got the impression he was that far behind. I haven't seen a frame I'd be willing to pay for in advance and then wait 3-years. Don't care how much of an artisan, craftsman, talent, anyone is - that's just not right.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by endure26
    3-years? I never got the impression he was that far behind. I haven't seen a frame I'd be willing to pay for in advance and then wait 3-years. Don't care how much of an artisan, craftsman, talent, anyone is - that's just not right.
    I don't think everybody is waiting that long - it seems to depend on what you've ordered.
    Last edited by nubber; 11-11-2006 at 01:07 PM.
    It'll take you places, but never get you anywhere

mtbr member

Long wait times

I feel your pain. It took a long time to get my frame from Matt and I ended up having to buy another bike go keep riding in the meantime. On the upside, the Midge bar came out during the wait so I was able to change my order to a drop-bar rig. The bike was totally worth the wait.

I read in Popular Mechanics that Richard Sachs has a 52-month wait list, so Matt's not the only one with long lead times. The communication and management of expectations could be better, but Matt does build a great frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I hate to revive this painful thread, but I am curious to know if anything ever materialized.

700see seems dead in the water as far as I can tell. What's the problem?

Fahrrad fahren

as of 9/20

Quote Originally Posted by singlespeedinca
    I hate to revive this painful thread, but I am curious to know if anything ever materialized.

700see seems dead in the water as far as I can tell. What's the problem?

As of 9/20 it looks like he is still planning to get them out:

http://mattchester.livejournal.com/

I'm on the list, so I'm just trying to be patient.
    Fixing Frederick Coasting Carroll Wandering Washington

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm on there too. It was only, what, $4? So, I'm not going to get stressed about it; I got more than $4 worth of reading out of his blog. In fact, I might even send off my order and payment for numbers 2 and 3.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Good news, I got my MC frame today. He did not, however, stick a copy of 700see in the box! Oh well I guess a bit more waiting is involved.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Good news, I got my MC frame today. He did not, however, stick a copy of 700see in the box! Oh well I guess a bit more waiting is involved.
    Photos?!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by miketually
    Photos?!
    A few (the bike is yet to be built up) are at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/berkele...7594318732677/

Or search on flickr.com on the tag "mattchester".

When I build it up I'll post a bunch.

No Justice = No Peace

Specialized grips.

I think you have your grips on backwards. I use thise same grips on my Bontrager, and I think the grey area is meant to face backward where the heel of your hand would rest on it. I could be wrong, and it probably doesn't matter, but..... you know.......
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutarious
    I think you have your grips on backwards. I use thise same grips on my Bontrager, and I think the grey area is meant to face backward where the heel of your hand would rest on it. I could be wrong, and it probably doesn't matter, but..... you know.......
    Those grips were put on before I discovered the tricks to putting grips on. Like an air compressor.

It was a huge pain in the ass. I have since swapped out to a different bar.

But you are talking about the TST mountain bike (also Ti) not the Matt Chester frame depicted as an unbuilt frame with the rear wheel stuck in it. Two different bikes. The TST is fun too but it is a geared bike, the Matt Chester will be single speed/fixed with a midge bar and Hunter stem/fork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Ooh, Matt Chesters are pretty. I look forward to seeing the built-up photos, especially since I'm building a steel framed ss/fixie-700c-Midge MTB at the moment (a Solitude Cycles frame).

mtbr member

I hope

I just hope I get a chance to ride mine before I get hit by a car...

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Or search on flickr.com on the tag "mattchester".
    Y'all keep your dirty, leering eyes off my bikes!!!

(aka bundokbiker)
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Anyone seen a 700see yet?

More importantly, has anyone heard from MC recently, and is he ok?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by miketually
    Anyone seen a 700see yet?

More importantly, has anyone heard from MC recently, and is he ok?
    Unfortunately no 700see yet. Since my last communication with him in November, haven't heard anything. I do hope he is OK.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    http://www.myspace.com/700see

his last login: 1/15/07

those are Rollercams...
    http://www.myspace.com/700see

his last login: 1/15/07
    Glad to see he has time for the important things...

---
    Jan 2007
    Watch those 3 Rodney Mullen films and relax....
    lockring not included - mandatory blog link in the signature

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Wtf?

Thank god for myspace.
    Last edited by ragnarok29er; 01-21-2007 at 12:01 AM.

those are Rollercams...
    Let me preface this in an attempt to avoid as many attacks as possible...

I and many others are seemingly out 5 bucks, not the end of the world by any means but the experience has left me with a less than positive opinion of Matt Chester, especially after reading about some of the extended waits some have been subjected to for frames.
    If I'm not mistaken, a ballpark wait time was generally quoted on the order portion of his website. The following question begs to be asked...

At what point does failure to deliver promised goods(frames) become grounds for a refund, if the customer so desires?

Before anyone asks, I've owned several custom frames and the longest wait for any was 3.5 months, which was actually less than what was quoted.

mtbr member

refunds

Quote Originally Posted by WTB-rider
    Let me preface this in an attempt to avoid as many attacks as possible...

I and many others are seemingly out 5 bucks, not the end of the world by any means but the experience has left me with a less than positive opinion of Matt Chester, especially after reading about some of the extended waits some have been subjected to for frames.
    If I'm not mistaken, a ballpark wait time was generally quoted on the order portion of his website. The following question begs to be asked...

At what point does failure to deliver promised goods(frames) become grounds for a refund, if the customer so desires?

Before anyone asks, I've owned several custom frames and the longest wait for any was 3.5 months, which was actually less than what was quoted.
    I say this with tongue in cheek.
    Remember when I started www.fixed-gear.net? in the hopes of selling an inexpensive frame, I needed some funds. Sure I did the "preorder" thing, and was short 2K before the deadline I had set out. I ended up refunding over 8K to ppl...why? Because I am Ernesto and I have a reputation that follows, one that makes me respect myself and take responsibility for my actions. A lot of ppl in the bike industry know me.

Fixed-Gear.net is back, and my goal is June. Whatever happens...if things beyond my control prevent the sales of these frames, I will refund the $$$ like I did before.

donkey
    hot damn!! fixed-gear.net is back?!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

I personally can't wait for 700 see

It was probably already going to be amazing. But with the extra time being devoted to layout, type, subject matter and just the right editorial tone, well, suffice to say I'm prepared to have my mind blown cleanly from my skull. I'm sure this will be the best five bucks I've ever committed to an online transaction and I'm prepared to wait not just one, but two complete calendar years to realize my return on this investment.

Cheers!

Is my rear tire flat?

He is back and building.....

Good to hear Matt is back and building and working on the 700see. Hope all is well with you Matt!
    db
    Liberty Lake Wa.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbennett
    and building
    say what?

Is my rear tire flat?

Hope all goes as planned...

Last edited by dlbennett; 03-05-2007 at 09:52 PM.
    Liberty Lake Wa.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Brilliant news; I can't wait (although I'll probably have to).

Schipperkes are cool.

Off http://mattchester.livejournal.com/

Per http://mattchester.livejournal.com/
    Sorry for the silence... [28 Feb 2007|12:00am]
    I'm here. Suffice to say that I have not been well since October I'm sorry again for prolonged waits. I am building bikes & 700see does exist...although I opted to start over after major anxiety looking at the original issue #1. The new issue #1 is more like a novella in length (same # pages, but different layout resulting in much more content). More soon.

[email protected] is fine for e-mail though suffice to say I have some major catching up to do there as well as reposting wait lists for frames & zines.

mc

PS :: Here is the preface for the new/improved/whatever version of 700see #1 ::

PREFACE

Charles Bukowski spent many of his younger days slumming and bumming at the L.A. Public Library in a search for literature that mirrored his own experience, his own mental soundtrack. His wanderings through the stacks ultimately led him to the works of John Fante. This discovery, an epiphany borne from curiosity and triggered by unknown means like cover art or spine lettering or a typewritten entry in the card catalog or simple hearsay, provided a linchpin for simplistic and minimalistic depiction of his personal spiral. Often this trajectory was downward, but over the course of Bukowski's life the path was random yet oddly repetitive; unique in its presentation and his stark influence recognizable in the writing of so many others today, as Fante's fingerprints are evident in CB's text.

The presence of a similar, eerily parallel voice in the ever broadening cacophony of self expression can be a motivator as Fante was for Bukowski; but the continued ignorance of such a voice despite all the talking may be a stronger pull towards the pencil and paper. I have trod a winding path in my exploration of cycling literature, coming up empty handed. My inner leanings seem to turn aquatic and ambient - like the films of George Greenough. No "it" necessary. The difficulty is the translation.

Riding a bicycle, like playing a musical instrument or sailing a boat or driving a racing car, allows those who are otherwise unsure and awkward to exhibit moments of fluidity and grace in a way not readily possible with dance shoes, a basketball, or a pair of boxing gloves. From square one, the tool is a very effective catalyst for cinematic beauty, both in between the ears and outwardly as one pans across the landscape rolling quietly. An entity like one's bicycle can't help but inspire self-expression through its use, and the increasing ease, speed, and volume of communication today results in no shortage of two-wheeled material to peruse.

"Good" and "bad" are subjective terms, and therefore impossible to "know." Depends on who you ask, right? This zine is the result of my intake and processing. It is all imaginary, as is much of what you surround yourself with, whether it brings about elation or royally pisses you off.

In this issue: I write about a long solo ride across northwestern Nevada on dirt on my ratty old road bike. I write about riding my rollers. I write about fasting, both premeditated and situationally induced. And on and on.

The universe sits floating within us. It vibrates and resonates, tones and overtones crescendoing in great expositions of supposed clarity - always influenced by boxes of radiation under control by keyboard and keypad like so many fingers over the holes of a recorder. Maybe an open note is in order, a great powering down, an end to detachment by external means, an end to isolation by pulling out the earbuds and letting the screen go black. A softness. A release. A hazy focus. Who knows?

Maybe one can know all when one feels small.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

banned

This could be good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I wonder how much $$ was collected for 700see? Did anybody get their subscription?

Hmmm.... lots of people without frames....lots of people without their magazines.

And didn't he quit frame building due to health problems caused by the process of building frames? But now its 2008 and he's back to building frames? Huh?

This is just bananas!

indigosky
    Quote Originally Posted by GotMojo?
    I wonder how much $$ was collected for 700see? Did anybody get their subscription?

Hmmm.... lots of people without frames....lots of people without their magazines.

And didn't he quit frame building due to health problems caused by the process of building frames? But now its 2008 and he's back to building frames? Huh?

This is just bananas!
    Man you are an antagonist. Do you have a horse in the race?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Some more neat news on the way too, including getting 700see #1 finally mailed off and in the hands of a few shops and other outlets like Urban Velo. I may suck sometimes, but I try to do a good job.
    - http://mattchester.blogspot.com/2008...from-past.html

I believe he had health problems from the acetone used in frame building with ti, but has figured out how to avoid the problems now.

I'm looking forward to getting my 700see, though the cash I sent off for it doesn't nearly cover the pleasure and inspiration I got from reading his blog over the last few years, so i wouldn't have minded it never arriving.

Members who have read this thread: 0