69er Singlespeed conversion?- Mtbr.com
    I miss f88

69er Singlespeed conversion?

I have a 2008 Giant Rincon that I got up at school, but I got really into MTB and bought a Trance X for home. Now, I am seriously considering converting my Rincon to singlespeed, especially since I had been having some shifting issues. I have 2 main questions.
    1. Of the various ways to convert, the two that struck me as the easiest were either removing all the gears and getting a chain tensioner, or getting track fork ends. I'm leaning toward tensioner (or my derailleur), due to ease of installment and cost, and because I have disk brakes.
    2. Just because, I'm kind of thinking about making it a 69er SS. My XCM is in pretty bad shape, and I was going to replace it anyway. So I was thinking about getting a 29" shock and then getting a 29" wheel when I can afford one. Would this work? It would certainly be a unique bike, which I like. Could I ride a 26" wheel on a 29" fork? How badly would a 69er change my geometry? (I'm not really that picky, but my bikes do have similar geometries)
    Any suggestions on front forks? I was thinking RockShox Tora (air). It's supposedly a good budget fork, and can be found for around $200 on ebay. And don't tell me to get a rigid, I'm not manly enough and the local trails have waaaay too many roots for that to work.

I should note that I don't care terribly much about weight, I want a singlespeed for the challenge and to become stronger.
    Thanks in advance, and can't wait to make the jump...
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

1GEAR
    Dec 2008
    I love my 69er, but then again the geometry on my bike was built for the bigger front wheel. I have a feeling its going to feel a bit funky.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    for the 69er info there is a forum about it... this is what i've learned from reading on there (check out the FAQ)

to maintain your ideal geometry with a 69er you need to maintain the same height up front... a 29er wheel is about 30mm taller... so you need to figure out your axle to crown height of your current setup and find a fork that'll fit a 29er tire that is 30mm shorter then the current fork... the problem is that even at 80mm the sprung fork options out there are going to be to long... which will slacken the bike about 1* per 20mm... slacker angles = slower handling thats why there are many more 69er conversions done with rigid forks... I still plan on trying it out at some point.
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Members who have read this thread: 0