60mm Chainline Crankset- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

60mm Chainline Crankset

Hi, I am converting an older frame to a SS commuter. I live in an ultra flat area and I would like a large (44+) front chainring. The only way to achieve this is to use the outer ring slot (60mm).

Are there dedicated SS cranksets that will accomadate a 60mm chainline or will I have to modify an existing 3 chainring crankset. I hope that made sense. Thanks.

mtbr member
    My Truvativ SS crankset was just a standard crank that didn't have the 94BCD bolt mounts drilled out and threaded but was otherwise the same thing. You could always cut the 94 bcd mounts off the DS crank too. You could look at the White Industries Eno cranks and get the appropriate spindle length for the square taper BB. Perhaps one of the newer Race Face Cinch cranks would work. I'm not sure you want to put that much time, money or effort into it for converting an old frame for commuting duty. However, I do understand building a bike to a personal aesthetic... so if that's what you want, then have at it.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dingo View Post
    Hi, I am converting an older frame to a SS commuter. I live in an ultra flat area and I would like a large (44+) front chainring. The only way to achieve this is to use the outer ring slot (60mm).

Are there dedicated SS cranksets that will accomadate a 60mm chainline or will I have to modify an existing 3 chainring crankset. I hope that made sense. Thanks.
    I'm not sure I understand. If the outer ring location results in the correct chainline, just mount a single chainring in the outer location. No modifications required.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    I'm not sure I understand. If the outer ring location results in the correct chainline, just mount a single chainring in the outer location. No modifications required.
    I am replacing my existing beat to hell crankset. I have no problem buying a new 3x crankset, but I was just wondering if there were single speed options that I could/should consider.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dingo View Post
    I am replacing my existing beat to hell crankset. I have no problem buying a new 3x crankset, but I was just wondering if there were single speed options that I could/should consider.
    Then just buy a new set of crank arms that match your bottom bracket. Any singlespeed crankset is going to have a narrower chainline. You don't have to buy the whole setup with chainrings.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Should have said I am replacing my BB and crankset, but I hear what you are saying. Thanks.

mtbr member
    The more info you can provide up front, the better, saves alot of back and forth. How much are you looking to spend?