mtbr member
    Jan 2015

6 Hour Mountain Bike races-singlespeed

Thinking about signing up for a 6 hour mountain bike race on singlespeed this year.

Anybody done one? Any advice?

Thanks

Moderator Moderator
    Did 8 hours, slow and steady, lots of training and eat and drink while riding.

If you prepare properly physically the only thing you need to fear on the day is your mind. When your body starts to hurt (and it will) your mind keeps telling you to stop, I found pedaling through that voice the toughest part.

Rage Against The Machine in one ear helped at that point

SS Pusher Man
    Doing a 12hr next weekend, so 6 hr rides are part of the normal rotation.

6hrs for endurance type events are more of a sprint.

Just don't go out too fast.

Depends on what your goals are.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Gear a tooth slower than normal. Make sure you have a plan to keep fueled and hydrated and stick to it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Yep, did 2 6hrs last year and a hundo. At the 6hr race distance, pace and fuel strategy are more important than fitness. I did my first 6hr last year as my first race of the season with a 90 minute ride my longest of the year at that point.

mtbr member
    Gear for the last hour, not the first. Eat, eat, eat, drink, drink, drink. Resist the temptation to get caught up riding over your head early on and conserve a little to hammer for the last 30-60 minutes, you'll pass lots of folks with their tongue in their spokes, trailside trying to relieve cramps.

mtbr member
    Yes. All of that. Eat well the week before . Feed. Drink water till your back teeth are floating.
    Gear for the last 2 hrs. Very sound advice. Comfort on bike goes a long way for consistant speed. Don't fret about weight. Be happy in hr 5 !
    Caffine before start and caffine at hr 3. One sip of straight water. One sip of your agreeable sport mix. Think about solid nibbles . Drinks and gels , get old after 3 hrs. Really , you'll be relying on the week before nutrition intake.

mtbr member
    Clothing and temp management . Important. At the feed station leave 2 pairs of gloves. Swap out. Heaven. Good bibs!!!!. Good socks! Always if you can , use a feed zone. If possible never wear a pak. But in 6+ hrs. I often must rely on one. Just be early and stock your feed zones.

mtbr member
    You will only be able to ride within your sustainable heart rate. If you make a move to pass when u know you can sustain . Lol we've all had someone we passed at hr 2 , to pass us at 5:45.
    I race single speed so consistency is key. Same for geared riders. 6+ hr races are pure Zen.

mtbr member
    Tell us about your SS

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I do several six hour and 100 mile events each year. Single speed seems easier vs. gearing because for the most part your pacing is addressed via gear selection. Pick a gear you know you can handle for the course and aim to maintain a consistent pace.

Often the top single speed riders are finishing right with the top geared riders.

I honestly think that for many riders single speed is almost automatically faster (and easier) vs. geared in endurance events. Mentally it is easier to manage pacing on a single speed and also the bike will be lighter and operate more efficiently.

Moderator Moderator
    oh yes... don't introduce new foods for the race, go with what you know and what agrees with you.

I tried gels way way before the race and they made me sick. I stuck with bananas, mini-bagels with cream cheese and m&m's, all in small bites and small amounts with lots and lots of liquid. I also raced mid-summer so took salt pills every hour to avoid cramps

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thanks everyone for the sage advice. Im pulling the trigger on a couple of races late summer/fall.

Courses look singlespeed friendly. Easy travel to races. They are in northern part of GA.

Depending on how they go will look towards Pisgah or Va area next.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Doing a 12hr next weekend, so 6 hr rides are part of the normal rotation.

6hrs for endurance type events are more of a sprint.

Just don't go out too fast.

Depends on what your goals are.
    mtnbikej, Are you doing the 12 hour Temecula race? I'm part of a 4 person team and have been debating whether to try and do the race with a SS. I'm not the strongest rider and with the new course changes, I'm starting to chicken out.

Wondering how strong you have to be to be able to do this race with a SS. Our team will be just out there to have fun and will not be really racing.

Any advise for a noob?

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by t3mplar View Post
    mtnbikej, Are you doing the 12 hour Temecula race? I'm part of a 4 person team and have been debating whether to try and do the race with a SS. I'm not the strongest rider and with the new course changes, I'm starting to chicken out.

Wondering how strong you have to be to be able to do this race with a SS. Our team will be just out there to have fun and will not be really racing.

Any advise for a noob?
    That is the plan....been fighting a cold....so still up in the air.

The course is pretty SS friendly. Most of the climbing is at the start of the lap, and is all fire road. Only a couple of short steep sections. Not really any long flat sections to spin out on.

If you are on a 4 man team....go for it....the laps are short....8.7 miles/1100'. If your team mates are doing 1hr laps....then you are only doing 3 laps anyway.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input. I think I'll take your advice and go with the SS.