4one5 vs 1x1- Mtbr.com

Thread: 4one5 vs 1x1

rocky iv style
    Mar 2004

New question here. 4one5 vs 1x1

I'm just getting started in this whole SS thing and I am modifying my 2003 Specialized P.1 to have quasi-XC geometry, but I am planning to get a real SS XC frame in a couple of months and cannabalize the P.1 to set it up. I think I have it narrowed down to the Soma 4one5 or the Surly 1x1, but I am wondering if anyone has some insight. Price difference is minimal, but the Soma is about .7 pounds lighter. Soma fits 2.3 in the back and Surly claims 2.7. I know the Soma isn't available yet, but my understanding is that it is the same frame as the Groove. Any info would be great. Either bike will most likely run the disc 1x1 fork.

ShockStar

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I really like my Surly!

I've just gotten done rebuilding and upgrading it over the winter. It's at about 23.5 lbs as pictured, and an absolute BLAST to ride. My favorite ride these days by far!
    Last edited by TACSTS; 03-06-2004 at 01:01 PM.

rocky iv style
    Mar 2004
    [QUOTE=TACSTS]I really like my Surly!

how much do you need to spend on the setup to get it down to 23.5? i'm assuming the parts i'm gonna rip off my P.1 are a bit beefy (hussefelt crank!), so i'm not expecting mine to be ultralight until i can afford to upgrade. also, how does the geometry fit your body type?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You really don't have to break the bank to get it to 23.5lbs. Some smart shopping will go a long way. I'll write down a quick build list for you and some estimated costs: (this is just off the top of my head from memory)
    Frame XL 1x1 = $175 on closeout from aebike.com (last of the v-brake only)
    R. wheel = Surly hub on rhyno lite $100
    F. wheel = LX on Salsa Semi $40
    BB = XTR 952 $35
    Crank = XTR 952 180mm $40 on ebay
    Stem = Ritchey 130mm $9
    Bar = Sun/Ringle $20
    Levers = Avid SD 7's $20
    Brakes = Avid SD 7's $40
    Seatpost = Syncros $25
    Saddle = Flite Ti - had it forever but you can get one for $30 if you look around
    Headset = King $90 (a lesser headset will work, but every bike needs a King!)
    Tires = varies Some big Geax Sedonas are on sale at nashbar for like 11 bucks right now

Total = $616 or so for the total bike. plus you can save quite a bit by using the wheels you've got and getting a lesser headset, but still come in near my weight. Good Luck! You'll love a Surly!