40 mile ss race ???- Mtbr.com
    blet drive

40 mile ss race ???

I jutted signed up for the back 40 in Sd. This is my first long mtb race what do I need to know. Thanks for any insight
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLEKID5 View Post
    what do I need to know
    Keep pedaling.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    How long are your long training rides? How fit are you? What's the course profile? How long do you expect to take to complete the distance? And most importantly, what are your goals?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Sd = South Dakota?

You should be comfortably able to do a 30+ mile ride on the SS without stopping.

Wanna ride bikes?
    ^ all that plus

how much time do you have to prepare before the race? pick a slightly easier gear than you think you need. can you pre-ride the course? eat at least once per hour.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

This!

Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    Keep pedaling.
    Ok.. You also need to know that water is better than bourbon the night before. It's also better the morning of, and during the race. Food don't matter that much, unless you're racing for money. Tacos are delicious after 40 miles, so you might want to plan some kind of snack for the end.

Oh.. and is this a loop or a straight run? If it's from A to B, carry a tube and a pump. Carry 4 tubes... they become very valuable when someone is on a trail, with a flat, 20 miles from their tacos. But realsies, if you're more than 5 miles from civilization at any point, it's worth having a tube.

Oh.. and gloves... I assume you need a helmet to even enter. I'm a big fan of gloves. And remember... you're not having fun until you quit smiling.

So, helmet, gloves, spare tube n air, hydrate before the race, plan for a snack at the end, keep pedaling, have fun. That's it. After the race, maybe you can post up if we missed anything. =)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I jutted signed up for the back 40 in Sd. This is my first long mtb race what do I need to know. Thanks for any insight
    Scream "by the power of greyskull!" at least once every 5 miles

SCRUBDUNKER
    Gear for the easy parts

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by razardica View Post
    Gear for the easy parts
    Nah, gear for the hard parts!

Joking aside, you are going to hate the gear you chose anyway after 30 miles, but tacos. Use your anger to keep pedaling toward the tacos/donuts/beer/whatever.

So I guess the post race snack is the only thing that matters right?

blet drive
    The race is July 25. I am good with 30 miles. Just never done it as a race. Thanks for the real advice. No I have never ridden any of the course but trying to go ride some of it. And sad does men South Dakota.
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    5 hr energy will get you through.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The race is July 25. I am good with 30 miles. Just never done it as a race. Thanks for the real advice. No I have never ridden any of the course but trying to go ride some of it. And sad does men South Dakota.
    It's hard to give advice that is truly helpful instead of simply common sense without a better idea of where you are fitness wise and what you are trying to accomplish.

"Good for 30 miles". does that mean you can do that with a lot of breaks, or you can rock that without stopping? How long does it take for you to complete 30 miles?

For me, a 30 miler isn't really an endurance race, rather a long sprint race. For my fitness, I would expect it to take me about 3hrs assuming an average course profile for the area I live in. I would use my endurance race pacing, efforts, hydration and fueling but sprint race gear. So if I was planning on a 6hr or longer race, I might use a 32x20 gear for a course, but for a 3hr I'd go with a 32x19 for the same course. Fueling and hydration for a late July race I would be planning on it being hot and humid, so for me that would be 30oz/hr and my usual 250cal/hr for energy. 3hrs is long enough that you can't afford under hydrating/fueling.

As for race strategy, figure out where the first bottle neck is going to be and try to get there ahead of the slow people. This can be hard as many of the slow people will attack too hard at the start and blow up in a spectacular fashion. You don't want to be behind them on a single track climb when they implode, but you don't want to come out of the hole so hard yourself that you risk a fiery death as well. If they start in waves by category, this is much easier. If they do a mass start, much harder. Find out how the start is going to be done. After the start, make sure you dial back to a more reasonable pace. This is often the hardest part of a race, and if you don't do it, you'll be done after only 15 minutes.

Keep pedaling, keep moving, don't stop. If it's a multi-lap course, have your pit strategy sorted. If it's a P2P, find out if they have bag drops/SAG wagon to take yourself to the feed stations. Make sure you can identify your stuff quickly too. Otherwise, figure out what the aid stations will have. Most of the time around here they are stocked with low concentration scratch. That's not my fuel of choice, I don't train with it, so I don't drink it. But that also means they don't have plain water, so I can't always refill with water and add my mix.

That should give you some ideas. You might also want to skim some of the threads in the endurance XC racing forum.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Good advice solo,

If the OP can ride at a moderate pace for 30 miles without stopping, huffing and puffing (ie he can moderate his efforts over the distance) he'll be fine in the race. It always amazes me that I can go longer and a bit faster in a race situation and not feel wasted. The other riders will push you to go longer and faster.

But you're right. At the start, it's good to come out slow and easy and slowly build up the pace based on you feel. I always see novice racers just go all out at the beginning and blow up early. I usually start near the back and try to draft people as much as possible. As folks begin to blow up, I start moving up. And by the end I'm basically at the front but I'm not wasted.

Another thing, try not to stop at any aid stations. If you must stop, don't linger. Get your fuel or hydration quickly and get out of there. The guys that are wasted from going too hard will spend a lot of time in the aid stations trying to recover.

Remember, slow equals fast!

I would only recommend going hard at the start for very short course races. But for longer endurance races, LSD (long slow distance) will pay off for you big time at the end.

mtbr member
    I rode the Dakota Five-O last year in ~48 gear inches. I took a guess based on my fitness as there was jack shit for recommended gearing info available. This was a bit high for me. It was also my first mountain bike race ever. I was also running New Mexico Spec on my HT (140 Pike, 2.5" DHF, 2.35" WildRock'r, heaviest damn rims on the planet, dropper, bar ends and 800 mm DH bars). The bike will be 6.5 pounds lighter for this years race.

I've also ridden Storm Mountain/et. al. but I can't remember specifics enough other than to say it seems pretty close to the same terrain. So, unless you're acclimated to 5k feet (and I was) and/or a total badass (which I'm clearly not), 32 x 21 on 29" (44 gear inches) would be a good number to stay under. I'm playing it safe this year and going with ~41 gear inches (28 x 20 on 29"). In the Five-O, there were a lot of pretty steep sections I wasn't expecting (at least compared to NM). Hopefully, the lower gearing will not zap my legs so bad and keep me riding rather than walking.

Or maybe it was the diarrhea I had for 2 weeks leading up to the race that ruined me. BTW, watch out for the cows. Last time I went, we had to walk our bikes right through a herd of cows. Inner monologue was "cow, cow, cow, calf, cow, cow, calf, cow, calf, cow, bull...aw shit"
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.
    Current HTFU status: 4/10; increasing

mtbr member
    All you need to know is you're a beast bro, you'll be fine!

Hope SD is treating you well, I just moved to Charlotte myself. Spent six weeks touring GA, TN, AL, MS, and FL. Now getting my shred on in Pisgah when I can!
    Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades.