WTF

3x9 to 1x9 Conversion?

Before I shell out for a ss crank, i want to see if i like the setup first. Can I remove two chainrings on my current crankset and remove my shifter and derialluer? or would there be chain line isssues?
    Dont wait, procrastinate now!

mtbr member
    Shouldn't be chainline issues if you mount whichever chainring you're going to use in the middle chainring position of the crankset. There'll be a little chainstretch when in your larger cogs and a potential chaindrop if you don't use a tall toothed chainring, but that's about it. If you use regular chainrings meant for shifting, there's some funky teeth that allow the chain to come off easier, for better shifting. This is not good in a single speed or 1x9 setup. So you're choices are to either buy a single speed specific chainring, or get a bashguard and chain watcher to keep the chain in line. The other thing to consider is the size of your chainring bolts. You'll either have to buy short chainring bolts, or user your regular ones with special washers that fit on your chainring. I've hacked down old chainrings to make such washers. I've also hacked off/ground down chainring teeth to make them faux bashgaurds. You can go cheap, or you can put a lot of money into single speed stuff.

Members who have read this thread: 0