3x7 to 1x7 what front ring 90ís deore lx- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

3x7 to 1x7 what front ring 90ís deore lx

I have a 3x7 90ís Diamondback with a Shimano Deore LX crankset up front. Iíve already removed the front derailleur and want convert to a single front with some type of chain guide, but I donít know where to start when shopping for a new middle ring. Oh and sorry if this is pretentious but Iíd like it to be gold colored.

Thanks chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Go to Dirtproject.org to help advocate for MTB awareness and trail expansion in IL and the Midwest #thinkoutsidetheroad.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Should be these: https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...r-5-arm-cranks

Double check that these cranks are 94/58 BCD.

You may have a really hard time finding gold ones since this isn't a currently common spider. But, you should be looking for 94mm BCD 5 arm narrow wide rings.

Also, you may need to get either spacers or different chainring nuts/bolts if you aren't running a bash guard. A lot of the time, the existing chainring nuts will be too long so you can't fully secure a single middle or outer chainring to the spider.

One other thing, someone else may be able to comment. The older 7 speed stuff may have had thicker chainrings which would make it tough to find a chain that will work with newer ring up front and an older cassette/freewheel in the rear.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post

You may have a really hard time finding gold ones since this isn't a currently common spider. But, you should be looking for 94mm BCD 5 arm narrow wide rings.

Also, you may need to get either spacers or different chainring nuts/bolts if you aren't running a bash guard. A lot of the time, the existing chainring nuts will be too long so you can't fully secure a single middle or outer chainring to the spider.

One other thing, someone else may be able to comment. The older 7 speed stuff may have had thicker chainrings which would make it tough to find a chain that will work with newer ring up front and an older cassette/freewheel in the rear.
    Ok thanks for all the info I will check on that. I had to google BCD btw

mtbr member

Man I have a measured this like 10 times and Iím getting 90 mm

Go to Dirtproject.org to help advocate for MTB awareness and trail expansion in IL and the Midwest #thinkoutsidetheroad.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    I think that's correct. Measure between adjacent ones. 94 should be a hair over 55mm between adjacent ones.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-bcd.html
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    I think that's correct. Measure between adjacent ones. 94 should be a hair over 55mm between adjacent ones.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-bcd.html
    Yes it does measure a bit over 55 when measuring adjacent

mtbr member
    OK guys sorry to revive this thread but Iím thoroughly confused and donít want to wait till Monday for wolf tooth open back up. I ordered the 94 mm chain ring drilled out the one hole per their instructions but the other four are threaded and thereís no way for me to get The nut on the back of the chain ring bolts. This may seem like a dumb question but am I not supposed to use the nuts and just loctite the bolts in place. Seems like thatís a no no.

mtbr member
    Okay wolftooth got back to me (Friday night @7pm, awesome cust service) they said to use nut and bolt on the one hole that is drilled out and just the bolts on the other four. Sorry to bother all of ya, just figured I shouldnít leave the thread hanging for future searchers.