36x22 or 32x20- Mtbr.com

Thread: 36x22 or 32x20

mtbr member

36x22 or 32x20

I'm buying a new wheel and new freewheel. I was just going to get a 20t freewheel to go with my 32t ring (don't laugh it's the ratio I ride OK!)

I have a nice Blackspire 36 tooth ring and I thought that maybe a 22t would work nicely with it. So. IF i've done the math correctly the 32/20 and 36/22 give me about the same gear ratio. Is there an advantage or disadvantage of doing it either way?

Brandon
    There's always money in the banana stand.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    You'll have more clearance for rocks and logs with the 32, but your drivetrain will wear slightly less with the 36.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'd go with the 32T for the added clearance

Birthday Collector
    If you ride over a lot of logs, rocks and other obstacles, the smaller ring will give you a touch more clearance. If you ride farther distances and smoother trails the larger combo will wear longer and have a (probably imperceptible) bit less mechanical resistance. The bigger combo weighs a touch more, if you are a WW though. Nothing wrong with a 32 x 20 if you ride hilly or techy terrain. I ride a 33 x 20 on my 29'er and when I was starting off I wished I had a 32 x 22! As I got stronger, I sometimes want to put a 19 on the rear, but there are still a few really steep hills that I fight to get up with the 20, so it all works out. If I am going along the flats or down a hill, I just spin what I got, or coast!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

Members who have read this thread: 0