36t up front- Mtbr.com

Thread: 36t up front

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

36t up front

I know 32t is a common ring to run but is anyone running a 36t up front?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Yes but watch chainstay and chainline

Quote Originally Posted by SalsaJoe View Post
    I know 32t is a common ring to run but is anyone running a 36t up front?
    Yes, a lot of guys run 36 tooth and other sizes.

One factor to consider is that on many frames you are limited to 34 tooth for the "normal" or middle position. To run 36 tooth you *might* have to run on the outer position for your chainline. This is not a problem for 3x style cranks.. With 1X or 2x style cranks you may have an issue.

On the Race Face crankset you have the option to flip the direct mount cinch ring to get an outer chainline.

For the rear end running an outer chainline requires spacers so if you have a freewheel you may not have this as an option.

Now provided you get a good chainline running big rings has two key advantages. The primary advantage is range. Earlier this season I was using 36/14 for some road rides. On the same bike, I run 36/20 or even 36/22 for mountain days. The other advantage is that the drivetrain runs smoother with less issues related to chain wear or tension. The bigger ring an bigger cog do a better job of tracking so the system should be quiet and provide better wear.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks Mark, great input! I have been using a 32 for the last 4 years and have gone as low as a 15t cog for my local trails when I want to mash the legs a bit (18t kinda being the sweet spot for the area in my opinion).

I wanted to keep going smaller in the back to build leg strength but already have a ton of cogs, so I just decided to go 36 up front and be able to use the cogs I already own. I rode 36/16 Sunday and it did the trick with workload (being close to a 32/14). As you stated I think the versatility is there with the larger rings AND it felt extremely smooth!

I'm using a Wolftooth wide-narrow 36t on SRAM X9 crankset with various Chris King steel cogs. So far loving the set up.

Cheers!

local trails rider
    I alternate between 36/16 and 36/15 on my slow bikepath cruising bike, and would probably need a 22 rear cog for trails. 36 fits that particular frame just fine in the middle position of Shimano cranks.

34/18 now on the trails bike.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    You beasts!! I'd be sniveling pushing a 36t!

mtbr member
    is everyone running 26" wheels?

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankyone View Post
    is everyone running 26" wheels?
    I am....

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    I am....
    I run 29er but honestly need to step down my gearing a bit. All year we have had crappy weather with wet trails. The result is that I have done a lot of gravel and road this year. The fast conditions work well with big gears. I ran 36/14 on the road for a 20mph average speed ride and 36/18 for the first race of the year with a mix of single track, road, and gravel.

The early season with big gears gave me false confidence.

Now that we are in the proper season with dry single track and bigger more competitive races I need to step down to a gear that allows me to accelerate faster on technical trails. The big gear feels great but I don't have the snap needed to be fast in courses where tight turns in single track call for repeated accelerations. Climbing steep technical stuffs is also a problem.

For next weekend I will step own to 34/20 and race in Pisgah. After that I will likely go back to 36/20 for general riding. I change my gear often an enjoy having all the cogs an all the rings.

mtbr member
    Hey Mark, I met you after Warrior Creek. You allowed me to fondle your bike! What gearing did you run there?
    RideMFRide

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I ran 34/19 at Warrior Creek. It felt like a great gear but really I should have run 34/20. Wadsworth and some of the other fast guys were 34/20. Even in the road section for the start they were flying. Basically, learning to spin is the key to getting the really sharp accelerations for racing.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I ran a 34/19 too, but should have been on something smaller. I decided the other day to drop down and I switched to 33/20. Haven't been out on it yet, but will get a chance Friday.
    RideMFRide

mtbr member
    34x20 with 180mm cranks in NorCal Nice balance of being able to climb everything (albeit slowly at the beginning of the season) and not spin out too much on the flats.

typical ride will be about 10-15 mi with about 1000 ft of total climbing

I run a 42/16 on my daily ss commuter.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I'm on a 29er. I've really been enjoying the feel of the 36 compared to the 32. I'm guessing it's having more chain wrapped on the ring. I've been going back and forth between 36/16 (hard mashing days for strength, ~20 miles with 1300' of climbing) and 36/20 (easier days, longer than 20 miles, ~2000' or more of climbing).

I love the power/torque I feel I gain from the 36/16 days, makes the 36/20 days feel like I'm cheating.

Saving lives with knives.
    I've ridden 36t on my SS bikes. I had to do it on my old giant XTC carbon 29er because of the chain stay shape. 36-20t.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

nothing to see here
    My first SS was a 26er running 36/17 way back when. God I loved that bike. Heavy but handled brilliantly. Giant Yukon circa 1996. Eno rear hub, canti brakes.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Did I catch a niner+?
    36/16 on my commuter.

I ride 34/19 or 18 but am considering jumping up to a 36t next year.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arphaxhad View Post
    34x20 with 180mm cranks in NorCal Nice balance of being able to climb everything (albeit slowly at the beginning of the season) and not spin out too much on the flats.

typical ride will be about 10-15 mi with about 1000 ft of total climbing

I run a 42/16 on my daily ss commuter.
    I run 180mm cranks on my Klein and have often wondered how it would feel on my SS. Definitely a little more torque! Did you change to 180mm or did you build that way?

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankyone View Post
    I run 180mm cranks on my Klein and have often wondered how it would feel on my SS. Definitely a little more torque! Did you change to 180mm or did you build that way?
    Kona Unit in the larger sizes comes with 180's stock.