32/18 to 32/16 will I feel it?!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. 32/18 to 32/16 will I feel it?!

I'm wanting to get rid of my tensioner basically just for asthetical purposes, so I took it off tonight and tried running the chain without the tensioner. Everything went ok, however I think the chain is a little tight, it moves ok, but it sounds really gritchy on the front chainring.

So I figure the "magic gear" for my bike would be acheived by taking a couple of teeth out of the equation.

The question is, will it still be rideable or will I regret going 2 less teeth?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    absolutely rideable, but you will feel the gearing difference...

mtbr member
    I suppose it'll only make me fitter!

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J
    You're talking about a vertical dropout bike, right? Unlikely that 32x16 is going to be magic if 32x18 is just a bit tight. Check out a magic gear program like FixMeUp!

http://www.peak.org/~fixin/personal/fmu/php/fixmeup.php

baker

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I will feel the gearing change. Two teeth on the rear can make a huge difference on the trail.

If there is ANY binding of the drivetrain the chain is too tight. Count on trashing the bearings, cog, chainring and/or chain in short order.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Cars Are Evil
    Maybe add a half-link?

Peace & Love
    nonsense, you will not feel a difference at all. Shiggy and the rest dont know what they are talking about:

while it will be harder, all the weight you save from having 2 less teeth will more than make up for it.

mtbr member
    Shiggy, yeah I thought that'd be the case about premature wear, so I'm definitely ordering the 16T sprocket.

I tried a half link, however I had the wrong size for my chain so I took the opportunity to try running a 2:1 ratio instead...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    nonsense, you will not feel a difference at all. Shiggy and the rest dont know what they are talking about:

while it will be harder, all the weight you save from having 2 less teeth will more than make up for it.
    LOL yeah I figured that too! Wow I should of just PM'd you! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Or suddenly make you feel older and slower when you climb!!!!

Peace & Love
    LOL yeah I figured that too! Wow I should of just PM'd you! Thanks!
    indeed.

i really should start a "Dear Fo" website so all these poor mtbr folks stop getting such misguided information.

That's gonna leave a mark
    Dear Fo,

My best friend's girlfriend says he should get a prescription for gonorrhea because she just found out that she has it and said he must have given it to her since she didn't have it before they started dating last week. He said he doesn't need a prescription since he works for a big pharmaceutical company and can get anything for free through their employee benefits package, even the stuff that Floyd Landis didn't take during the Tour, and besides he couldn't have given it to her since he's training for an upcoming race and takes all the right pills.

I figured, since you have lots of experience with venereal disease you would be an authority on the subject and could answer my question: Should I take EPO or synthetic testosterone to enhance my immune system between races?

Thanks, Sal Philis
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    Dear Fo,

My best friend's girlfriend says he should get a prescription for gonorrhea because she just found out that she has it and said he must have given it to her since she didn't have it before they started dating last week. He said he doesn't need a prescription since he works for a big pharmaceutical company and can get anything for free through their employee benefits package, even the stuff that Floyd Landis didn't take during the Tour, and besides he couldn't have given it to her since he's training for an upcoming race and takes all the right pills.

I figured, since you have lots of experience with venereal disease you would be an authority on the subject and could answer my question: Should I take EPO or synthetic testosterone to enhance my immune system between races?

Thanks, Sal Philis
    Dear Sal,

My advice would be too simply get married. Since you will then never have sex again, get neutered accordingly; the savings in grams will do wonders, even for somebody of your stature.

Cheers,
    Dr Fo'

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004

you'll notice

I went from a 36x20 to 36x18. It's noticable harder but still rideable. For flatter rides I love the extra topend with 2:1 but for really hilly stuff I still put the 20t back on.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

local trails rider
    ..32/18 to 32/16 ...
    That is the same as shifting one gear on a 9 speed bike: it should feel different. Harder, faster, or both.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I will feel the gearing change. Two teeth on the rear can make a huge difference on the trail.

If there is ANY binding of the drivetrain the chain is too tight. Count on trashing the bearings, cog, chainring and/or chain in short order.
    What exactly is binding?
    I want to make sure it doesn't happen to me when i take off my tensioner.
    pUt Da LiMe In Da CoKe YoU nUt

local trails rider
    Quite likely, not everything in the drivetrain is exactly concentric. Let's say your chain wheel is just slightly off... at some point in the rotation your chain may be tighter than in other points. You should have a little slack so that the chain is not pulling on the BB or rear bearings at any point.

CB2
    Jam Econo

I went for my first SS today...

...and thought man, this is harder than I thought it was going to be. I knew I was going to have some trouble on the really steep stuff, but I couldn't really get comfortable on the singletrack. When things started to descend things were good. I didn't know if the gear was too tall for me, or if it was hard because I was a novice at this SS thing.
    I was contemplating if I needed to switch to an easier gear than the 2 to 1 ratio (32 x 16) that I had chose.
    Well as I cracked open a cassette and removed the cog from my freehub, I noticed the number 14 stamped on it; I had put the wrong cog on when I was building it.
    I can't wait to give the 32 x 16 a try!
    And I still have an 18 if that doesn't work.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    I'm wanting to get rid of my tensioner basically just for asthetical purposes, so I took it off tonight and tried running the chain without the tensioner. Everything went ok, however I think the chain is a little tight, it moves ok, but it sounds really gritchy on the front chainring.

So I figure the "magic gear" for my bike would be acheived by taking a couple of teeth out of the equation.

The question is, will it still be rideable or will I regret going 2 less teeth?

If your not married to the frame you might want to try slotting the dropouts slightly. I did this with a die grinder and it gives me enough adjustment that I can go 8 or so months until the chain is stretched too much to adjust the slack out, then it's time for a new $10.00 chain.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I can't wait for my chain to stretch out even more. That way i can go from 32/15 back to 32/16.
    pUt Da LiMe In Da CoKe YoU nUt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    If your not married to the frame you might want to try slotting the dropouts slightly. I did this with a die grinder and it gives me enough adjustment that I can go 8 or so months until the chain is stretched too much to adjust the slack out, then it's time for a new $10.00 chain.
    Aah that's sacrilidge, it's a 915 frame! :LOL: I'm actually going to get a Ti SS specific frame built by Dekerf at some point with an EBB, but I love the Implant, and have never ran any gears on it...

Members who have read this thread: 0