32:16 versus 32:17- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

32:16 versus 32:17

How different is a 32:17 to a 32:16?

Is it noticable or would I need to change to 32:18 to feel a noticable difference?

I'm new to MTB as well as SS and want to concentrate on learning how to ride in general on the trails, and the 32:16 is just slightly too tough at the end of the climbs. (Close but not quite. I'll change back later.) I have horizontal dropouts on my SASS so chain tension is not an issue.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SOLO_ONE

Is it noticable or would I need to change to 32:18 to feel a noticable difference?

I'm new to MTB as well as SS and want to concentrate on learning how to ride in general on the trails, and the 32:16 is just slightly too tough at the end of the climbs. (Close but not quite. I'll change back later.) I have horizontal dropouts on my SASS so chain tension is not an issue.
    Very much noticeable. If a 32:16 is just too much, I think you will like the 32:17 a lot. No sense killing yourself.

Cold. Blue. Steel.

agreed

Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    Very much noticeable. If a 32:16 is just too much, I think you will like the 32:17 a lot. No sense killing yourself.
    depending on the terrain where you live, 2 to 1 can be a bit tough. especially if you are just starting out on SS.
    2 to 1 is just an easy benchmark to go by when setting up your bike for something that should work well in a variety of riding conditions. don't bother tweeking your knees or back with too big of a gear. experiment and then you will know what is best for you.
    Spinning and Grinning...

mtbr member

sass ?

have any pictures of your sass ??

mtbr member

2:1 can be a bit much...

...I was running 32:18 on my 26" SS and just transferred all the goods to my 29er SS - approximately equivalent to 2:1 gearing on a 26" bike.

The short steep switchbacky stuff is a real grunt. Flat and inclines where you can build mo' is fine but the deceleration and restarting can be a bear.

Going back towards a 1.8:1 ratio by putting a 20t cog on there.

Sean
    Professional Amateur

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Well I got it..

Quote Originally Posted by scottms33
    have any pictures of your sass ??
    Well I was able to get a Shimano SF-MX30 17T at the local Sun-and-Ski and put it on the bike but I have not ridden it yet.

Here is a link to some pictures of my bike:SASS pictures

(Sorry they're such low res , I'm using a digital camcorder to make the photos because it's the only digital camera I currently have.)

formerly Giantxc
    Definitely a difference. I run 32-17 for general riding, and 32-16 for racing.

mtbr member

my SS gear ratio chart

Here's a chart that i developed for my two SS bikes, one on road, one off road. keep in mind that tire diameter must be kept constant when making comparisons. I only included the chainrings and freewheels that i use. Being visual, this chart helps me understand the extent of differences in various setups as i experiment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Noticable? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by SOLO_ONE

Start out with 32:17. It is a good all around gear for beginning and deciding whether to go lower or higher. After riding 32:17 for a couple of months building up your ss legs/lungs, switch to 32:16 and you'll be amazed how much faster you go, but you will need to stick with it for a couple of rides to get used to it.
    Out of Bounds