3 mechanicals in 1/2 mile- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

3 mechanicals in 1/2 mile

Well, this just sucked. I was about half-way through a local 12.5 mile trail, riding rigid and single, when I felt the front end kind of rattling around on a bumpy downhill. Got to the bottom and pulled over, it seemed like the headet came loose. I dug out the multi-tool and started to adjust it, but everything seemed tight. I thought maybe it came apart inside when I reached for the tool pouch on the front tire, looked down, and the front skewer was open. Thank God for lawyer tabs on the Surly fork.

I go about 100 yards, slip a bit on a v-tree obstacle and fell, landing on the rear wheel. Got up and the wheel wouldn't turn, so I noticed the pad rubbing the tire. I adjust it, try to ride, and I feel something still rubbing. Look down, rear wheel is crooked, slipped in the dropouts when i fell on it. Fixed that, put the brake pad back where it had been, moved on.

A little bit further and I feel like my seat is moving around. I pull over, sure enough my seat post bolt came loose (just put a new Brooks flyer on) and my seat was moving. Fixed that and started to wonder if I was meant to finish.

I did keep going (there is no real choice), and it actually turned into a good ride. I will be keeping a closer eye on those skewers, and I guess a whole bike check over couldn't hurt. Riding fully rigid sure can shake some things loose!
    "Kurt is up in heaven now."

RIP Vonnegut

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Ha - and I thought I was riding a rigid SS to keep down the mechanical problems!

But, you got to ride and I didn't. In the Northeast, if it's not snowing, then the trails are too wet to ride. I wish I had the opportunity for some mid-ride bike repairs.

I had a similar situation last fall. Within the first mile, I caught broken glass in the parking lot and flatted out, fixed it, got on the trail only to promptly get stung by a bee, pulled the stinger out, and rode the first downhill where I dropped my chain (not riding SS at the time) and fell onto a rock and bloodied up my knee.
    Either you rode today, or you didn't.

Exclusively Single
    Properly tighten your skewers and seat clamp bolts, use disc brakes, and don't fall off.

No mechanical error on your bikes part.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I say.......

Go to the bike shop and kick that goofy, un-qualified mechanic's rear-end!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gearless
    Go to the bike shop and kick that goofy, un-qualified mechanic's rear-end!
    I can't reach my own rear end!

Seriously, I realize these were basically my mistake. I never considered that not having plush suspension everywhere might require a bit more "go over" time than before. I plan on giving what is left on the bike a good look before going out again.

BTW--No discs for me. I have never once wished I had more brake, modulation, or anything of that sort. We just don't have the terrain here that makes disc any real advantage. Plus, if I had discs in the rear, I would have sat on the rotor. That, I believe, would have been much more unpleasant than landing on the wheel.
    "Kurt is up in heaven now."

RIP Vonnegut

mtbr member
    Dude - you're going to give "JRA" a bad name. You know where some guy posts about his mechanical? "I was Just Riding Along, when..."

If you don't snug those bolts, you're going to transform it into JWA - Just Walking Along...

JRA
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSEAL
    Dude - you're going to give "JRA" a bad name.
    I already have a bad name, don't need anymore help.

I relate to the lawyer tabs thing. Was descending down this rather rocky trail near Flagstaff, AZ on my bike in the early 90's. I get to the bottom of the descent and start to hear this strange clunking sound. Looked down and the front QR was flopping around like a fish. This was back when the "hot" setup, according to MBA at least, was to file off the lawyer tabs so you could get the front wheel out faster if you had a flat. Never felt the need to do so after that experience.

Members who have read this thread: 0