2WD bikes......- Mtbr.com

Thread: 2WD bikes......

Strongbow or Bust!!!!

2WD bikes......

Anyone have any good ideas for a two wheel drive bike? I'm working on one right now and I wanted to see if anyone else that is into bikes had any ideas on this.

Rob
    Fermented Apple Juice rules!!!!!! BURRRRPP!!

Steamroller

These guys have it figured out

Quote Originally Posted by The Tractor
    Anyone have any good ideas for a two wheel drive bike? I'm working on one right now and I wanted to see if anyone else that is into bikes had any ideas on this.

Rob
    You may want to copy this one or just buy it and save some trouble.....unless of course the fun is in the building of it. http://www.christini.com/
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

Strongbow or Bust!!!!

I looked and...........

Was not overly impressed. Anyway, the fun is in building one and I am about to start. Gene Spicer is going to pull his hair out building the frame for me.

Rob

Steamroller

Show us the result

Was not overly impressed. Anyway, the fun is in building one and I am about to start. Gene Spicer is going to pull his hair out building the frame for me.

Rob
    There are many ways to skin a cat and each cat skinner thinks his way is best. Certainly the fun is in the skinning........unless of course you are the cat. Have fun building it and be sure and show us what you come up with.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004

Rob
    You are going to re-think your position on the Christini once you start dealing with the MANY obstacles of trying to come up with a workable design. With current technology it's doubtful you'll come up with something that people would want to ride. Parasitic loss is the killer.
    "Do not touch the trim"

Strongbow or Bust!!!!

Well, I found that

The solution can be found in 4x4 trucks and a book that I read last year. I just am adjusting and adapting it for a bike. I'm not worried about selling it to the masses, I'm just interested in it for my self. If someone likes the design, then they can talk to me about it, as I will have patent pendings at least for several ideas on the bike.
    Thanks,
    Rob

dirty hippy mountainbiker
    What about hydrolic? Proobably too much friction in the tubes.

What about runnund a chain on the left side up to the head tube and then a pinyon down to the front wheel?

-M
    Mike Henderson, Dirty Hippy Mountain Biker and part owner of Jet Lites.

Strongbow or Bust!!!!

Hydraulics are too..........

Difficult to do by human power (constant speed pumps). The losses and flow requirements are too much. About the chain, you are on the right track.
    Rob

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Difficult to do by human power (constant speed pumps). The losses and flow requirements are too much. About the chain, you are on the right track.
    Rob
    Not to be negative but I doubt your bringing anything new to the 2wd table. Maybe do a patent search, this idea has been explored extensively over the last 15 years by some pretty talented people.
    "Do not touch the trim"

I'm thinking a left chainring running to a cog at the head tube atached to a U-joint axle with a cog on the right side driving a chain to a cog on the front wheel. Since you only need front power for slow cranking then you don't have to wory about gearing it up. Better yet: one of those systems with a Nexux somewhere in the middle... (That's got to be what you're thinking since you mentioned 4x4s)

-M

Strongbow or Bust!!!!

Let me re-phrase this

Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    Not to be negative but I doubt your bringing anything new to the 2wd table. Maybe do a patent search, this idea has been explored extensively over the last 15 years by some pretty talented people.
    I am working on a selectable 3 wheel drive tri-cycle that rides like a bicycle (wheels in a row). All the 2wd ideas that I have seen are powering the front wheel via the back hub. I am looking at the idea from a 4wd vehicle perspective and how the power is transmitted to the wheels.
    Rob

Strongbow or Bust!!!!

You are thinking outside the box............

Just what I like. You are headed on the right track even better. Think of how a 4x4 gets the power to the wheels...............

We've got ring and pinyon already. 3 speed = planetary gear. Let's think this through: How do you drive a pickup truck? 1) obtain keys from pile of condoms and beercand on nightstand: or big ass screwdriver if no ignition. 2) check for at least one shotgun in window. 3) clear driver seat of beer cans amo boxes and tub of anal lube. 4) Turn key (or screwdriver). 5) Depress gas pedal nine times to determine point of valve float. 6) chuckle when the shirtless old man in the trailer next doowr shakes fist and demands your rent money. THAT'S ITTTTTTT!!!

You're going to use a gas pedal instead of a crank!!?!? I bet there's no patent for that. You're a madman.

So it's either that or you're thinking a driveshaft system. Like a BMW motorbike where the shaft is the suspension link.

Either way that is [not] the stupidest idea I've heard today. (Stupidest idea yet today: taking one fat dog and one skinny dog for a run on leashes.)

-M

mtbr member

Ooh, ooooh

Call on me!

A transfer case!

Can you bolt a 502 chev in it?
    It's only weird because it's not normal.

PROJECT | ONE

Strongbow or Bust!!!!

No fuel, just pedal power...............

Good story on the truck!! Anyway, the drive train is set up where you have a transfer case, then the power goes out from there. How may 4x4 trucks do you see driving the front axle from the rear wheel? Like this bike:
    http://content.mtbr.com/TRP_12_212_5crx.aspx
    A central gear box/power input. That's the idea I'm working on.

Rob

75% Mountain cycle

Chain drive?

I didn't read all the responses below but I bet you could do something with chain drive that would be light, cheap, and low on adding friction. Let us know your progress.

Google it - there's lots of cool ideas out there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The only problem is that to go slow enough to use the extra traction you'd not be able to ballance. Though the tripple tandem wheel idea is cool. You're thinking like the Mars rover? But the why not a tracked system? For that matter if it's traction you're realy trying to get, not a dual drive, then a tracked system makes a lot of sense. Well at least as much sense as a 2wd bike. I bet you're thinking a 2wd singlespeed bike! That would be an abomination. But a cool one as abominations go.

What about tandem rear wheels on a central mounted rocker linked by a rubber track? The thing would swing up and down with the bumps but there wouldn't be any real travel.

-M

Strongbow or Bust!!!!

Here are some drawings

Ok, I just un-zipped my fly and let it all hang out. Enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    technically that is a 3WD bike.... er... trike...

that's what I thought.

why not take the power for the front at the BB? Then you have one less chain.

Then: with all that traction at the rear why do you need it at the front too?

I don't know if i believe things can be so crazy they just might work. But this is crazy. And it could work.

-M

Strongbow or Bust!!!!

Sorry.......

It's 2wd and 3wd. You can select that. If I started the tread with 3wd, it would have really been fun to watch. hehe

Strongbow or Bust!!!!

Transmission.......

The transmission is why. The transfer "case" is selectable from rear drive and all drive. You can be in all drive and still be able to shift giving the front and rear wheels the same input. Crazy eh? Yes, thankyou.

Recovering couch patato
    Amazingly original design! But, with the 2 drive rear wheels (or middle and rear), why bother driving the front as well? When it comes to crawling up ski hill steep stuff, the two should handle the job just well.

If I had your designing brain, I'd use that front wheel drivetrain for a more conventional 2WD, one front, one rear.
    Just make those wheels Surly Pugsley wheels. Loads of traction at decent rolling resistance. Would a 3rd wheel reduce the rolling resistance, or increase it? Probably depends what combi of soft and sticky it is?

Are those rear wheels offering suspension travel of like a foot there?

Strongbow or Bust!!!!

It is a test bed for 2wd........

The design could be used for a 2wd bike, geared or ss. The selector for the front drive is simple and strong. To be honest I was working on a convertable ski bike that would be a half-track with a snow board on the front fork fo a steerable ski and it mutated into this design because I gave up on the half-track idea, but as I looked at this desing I could make it into a half track!! It will have a cargo capacity of about 100lbs over the back piviot point, not including rider. BTW, the tires for it will be 20"x3.0, but I may run it at 20"x 4.25 tires.
    Rob

Ok. So you've put some thought into it. Cool idea. Couple more questions:

1) Why a solid steel axle and not something lighter?
    2) Can you use something other than chains to keep it light?
    3) Won't the lack of front suspension hurt climbing? (I can do obsticals well on my rigid bike, but it's really light. the 3x3 won't be.)
    4) Will you need some kind of spring on the read assemble to center it?
    5) How much of this are you going to custom fabricate? Are there any off the shelf parts?

-M

Strongbow or Bust!!!!

Answers.....

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy
    Ok. So you've put some thought into it. Cool idea. Couple more questions:

1) Why a solid steel axle and not something lighter?
    2) Can you use something other than chains to keep it light?
    3) Won't the lack of front suspension hurt climbing? (I can do obsticals well on my rigid bike, but it's really light. the 3x3 won't be.)
    4) Will you need some kind of spring on the read assemble to center it?
    5) How much of this are you going to custom fabricate? Are there any off the shelf parts?

-M
    Well, those drawings are the early ones. The pivot axle is hollow as well as all the power shafts. I'm using chains to keep it simple and cheap. I plan to use the bike on smooth trails and pavement mainly for a test bed for the AWD idea. The rear tandem setup will float with no centering springs but will have a limited travel stop feature. The framewill be totally custom. The fork is a pugsley and it will use 4 rear disk hubs( 4 wheels, I will have a spare tire/wheel), and the rest of the parts will be off the self stuff, like bearings, gears ect. The frame will be 4130 thinwall steel tubed, round and square. The rear set-up will be 6061-T6 Al. Avid mech disks.
    Oh, and it will be able to carry a full keg too and many other utility functions. It's my trail maint bike and everything else.

Rob
    Last edited by The Tractor; 10-18-2005 at 07:54 PM. Reason: spell check

mtbr member
    Coupla things:

1. If this bike is used at super low speeds, then turning will be seriously hampered by the second rear wheel. Ever seen a semi trailer making a u-turn? Tire scrub. May not be a big issue, I dunno.

2. More tire contact area= less PSI= less soil penetration, which may = less or no additional traction. Race cars had skinny tires for a long time because they hadn't figured out that the compound had to be much softer for a wider tire to grip more. Current bikes have enough traction for everything except mud, snow, and ice. It's always my legs that give out on the super steep stuff.

But don't let me discourage you. I love to hear about unusual projects. (My hillclimb bike was going to use a 1 foot long articulated track system...)

Members who have read this thread: 0