Is this 29r SS thing for me???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Is this 29r SS thing for me???

(mods, sorry about the crosspost last one i promise...)

First let me say that i'm in the market for a bike and it will be my main, my only bike.
    I used to ride BMX like it was my job when i was younger but havent rode anything much for 10 years. (About to turn 30)

Right now I have my eye on a 07 Trek EX7.

I'm 6'1" tall - 220lbs.

I will be riding an equal mix of street/paved trails/single track trails whenever possible.
    I'm adventurous on a bike so i can see myself doing some mild jumps and drops - prolly 3-4' at the most but not often. (point is, i want to be able to if i want and not kill the bike)

Reason i ask is that the Gary Fisher Rig has some good features for the $$$ and i'm seriously considering it. I'd also throw on some kind of seatpost shock.

Mostly i dont want to spend 1200+ on a bike and then say whoops!

The EX7 (26 FS) seems like a "ready for anything" bike but its alot of money.
    The Rig (29 HT) scares me because if i'm out riding the streets i'm afraid i might wish for gears, as i keel over off the bike... (i ride on the streets ALOT)
    Or that i'll feel like the 29s will seem combersom trying to trick around a little here and there.

But people around here make 29s and SSs seem like its the best thing since sliced bread.

But is it for ME?

i dont know,, i need help

mtbr member
    I'm kinda in the same situation as you 30 used to ride a lot back in the day but nothing for a long time. Just getting back into it. I don't get to ride on the streets a lot but I have to tell ya that if you go single speed you should gear for either the street or the trails. One gear isn't gonna work for both unless you like pedaling really fast and going really slow on the street. You could build a really trick bike for the same money if you bought a less expensive frame/fork like Redline Monocog or Zion or I think Haro Mary. You could put an internal geared 3 speed hub on the rear or something. or make a 1x3.

The 29 thing is almost a no brainer if you ride the street a lot. Road bikes are allready 29ers so it would work well on the street and 29ers are great on the trails too. Of course you'll have to do that kind of personal preference stuff on your own.

If you really want to check out a fun as hell bike that will take you back to the BMX days check out the Specialized P1=Single speed or the P2= 1x9 I think. they are both 26 (you can actually get the p1 in a 24/26 combo) but man talk about fun. I should have got a P2 instead of my Redline Monocog. I'm sure someone else will be a bigger help but since there were no replies to the thread yet I wanted to see if I could help a little

Brandon
    There's always money in the banana stand.

mudnthebloodnthebeer

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Can a Rig or anything with an EBB be converted to a 1x3?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Sure.... the EBB doesn't restrict you on that... My Zion has an EBB and derailleur hanger, so you can run gears too...

Please correct me if I misunderstood you...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thats the thing, i have no clue hehe...

What would it take to make a stock Rig 1x3?

with the Rig in particular you would need and internal gear hub, since, I think, it doesn't have a derailleur hanger...

Cars Are Evil
    I really really really like my Rig. But it ain't no huckster. The geometry is a bit long for that, and the frame isn't made for tons of abuse.

I'd check out a singlespeed Haro Mary if I were you. Or a Monocog with discs. Might want a taller stem or bars if you want a BMX feel.

Singlespeed is great. I used to get real lazy with gears. I feel so much stronger now with SS even when I only get on it once or twice a week. I'm 33 and spent most of my teens on a BMX bike.
    Last edited by Vermont29er; 11-02-2006 at 10:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    [QUOTE=

The 29 thing is almost a no brainer if you ride the street a lot. Road bikes are allready 29ers so it would work well on the street and 29ers are great on the trails too. Of course you'll have to do that kind of personal preference stuff on your own.

Brandon[/QUOTE]

You've got to measure with tires on. Road bikes are NOT 29ers. They are 700c which with a tire is roughly the same outside diameter as a 26 with 2.0 tire.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Sure.... the EBB doesn't restrict you on that... My Zion has an EBB and derailleur hanger, so you can run gears too...

Please correct me if I misunderstood you...
    The new Zion EBB SS frames don't have derailleur hangars.

Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    The new Zion EBB SS frames don't have derailleur hangars.
    Yeah I know... if you see my other post, I basically said if there is no hanger, no gears... but the EBB doesn't restrict running gears in itself (as long as you have a hanger)

Members who have read this thread: 0