29er w/ 650b rear wheel- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

29er w/ 650b rear wheel

I have a few 29er SS. Moots MootoX YBB and a Vassago Jabber and on both I have put a 650b rear wheel on and I can really feel the difference when climbing. The 650b is not so much lighter, but seems to accelerate better and I climb stronger with it. I keep the 29er front wheel on because I love the way the front 29er rolls. Anyone else trying the 650b/29er thing?

mtbr member
    I rode a Carver Bumblebee for months last year as a long term test bike for www.ridemonkey.com 650b in back 29er in front. The bike was great, but it was designed for that dual wheelsize configuration.

The Jabberwocky has really looooooong chainstays.

I bet if you got a different 29er with shorter stays you'd like the 650b/29er format even moreso. Just my hunch.

mtbr member
    I've kinda sorta thought about it, but I did just buy a new 29er rear wheel and there are plenty of other things i want that I already know would work great.

I have an Inbred and I can get my chainstays down to about 17+1/4" and my BB with a rigid 80mm corrected fork is 12+1/4". I think it has the potential to work fairly well because that BB height shouldn't drop to an unusable height with the smaller wheel. Not so sure about running it on a hardtail though, because full compression of the fork might drop the BB too low

Ovaries on the Outside
    I think if you are going big front and small rear, you should look into 650bx26.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bikapelli
    Anyone else trying the 650b/29er thing?
    I rode a B9er for quite a while. I liked it just fine. I personally couldn't say it was better or worse than full 29. I've gone back to full 29 mostly because I sold the bike I was using, and the 29er rear rolls just that little bit easy over things. I actually had kind of a heavy rear wheel though, so maybe something else would have been more noticeable.

Anyway, non of this matters. If you like it, keep riding it that way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm putting a 29er front wheel on my soma b-side (setup SS) with rigid carbon fork. Looking forward to see how it rides. I got a WTB Weirwolf 2.55 LT to give some extra cush for the rigid fork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Going to give this the real test.

Decided to try the 97.5 thing for real and had Davis at Carver build a custom Bumblebee for me. Shipped out today so hope to have it and built by next weekend. I will post pics and review here.

mtbr member
    Did you keep the same gearing when you swapped 29" wheel for the 650b? If a 26" is roughly 2T lower then it stands to reason that a 650b would be approximately 1T lower. Could that possibly be the reason for the feeling of faster acceleration and easier climbing? Just a thought.

Members who have read this thread: 0