29er SS Tire Recommendations...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

29er SS Tire Recommendations...

after 10+ years of riding and racing my steel Indy Fab 26" SS, i decided to take the plunge to a 29er SS. i am having a Niner One being built up and need to decide on tires. my rubber of choice has been the 26" Conti Vertical Pro 2.3 for local trails in Truckee/N. Tahoe California.

been out of the loop on bike gear, so i was curious what folks might recommend in the 29er size that gives a similar ride? we are entering the "moon dust" phase of our mountain biking season in Tahoe, so things are getting looser with the summer tourists. i was thinking about Conti Mountain Kings 2.2.... but i have no idea?!?!

thoughts anyone?

Apr 2007
    I've heard good things about Mountain Kings, but they wear quick. I'm currently on Panaracer Rampage f&r. Front is great, but they lack grip in the rear. I just ordered some Geax Saguaro 2.2's today and will see how they do. I've also had WTB ExiWolf and was not impressed. Nevegal's were ok, but won't buy again but will use it, if given to me.

If the Geax don't work, I'm going to try Small Block 8's or Ignitors.

openwound
    I'm doing my riding in the Auburn area these days. Not quite the same as the Sierra's. I know how deep the dust can get up there. For that kind of deep, dusty conditions you guys have late season I'd use either Nevegal's or Panaracer Rampage's. Granted, neither of those tires are going to roll as quick as a SB8 but they'll hook up. I was running SB8's, which I like for their quickness, but they were only 2.1's so always left me wanting more -- volume/give/cushion. And unless I kept the rear tire perfectly weighted the climbing traction left a little something to be desired, especially in loose-over-hardpack conditions.

I've got one ride in on a set of the Geax Suguaro 2.2's. So far I like the tire. It's sorta between the big hook-'em-up tread of the rampage/nevegal and the super sleek fast SB8. But it's a bit too soon to give much of a review beyond that. I think they're worth a look. Just doing a visual comparison, I like the looks of their tread more so than that of those Conti's. The tread on the Mountain King's looks a bit thin/sparse.

Dirty South Underdog
    I'm a fan of an Ignitor 2.1 in the front and Karma 1.9 in the rear. The Karma is available wider if you prefer, but for me, it works great.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

Out spokin'
    If you like really fat tires like I do, I recommend the Maxxis Ardent 2.4. Not a light tire but it rolls well and I haven't found a condition yet for which it isn't up to the task (except gen-u-wine Orygun winter mud).

Disclaimers: (1) I'm a tire tester for Maxxis (though I feel unbiased) and (2) I live in Western Oregon where our trail treads consist of compacted loam that stays firm all summer -- very little moon dust.

--Sparty

P.S. Check MTBR's 29er board -- LOTS of tire threads there.
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I currently ride the conti mountain king 29 x 2.4's. They are certainly not a tru 2.4 tho....more close to a 2.25 or 2.3. Best investment I have made thus far!! As far as wearing down quickly im not all that sure I would agree with that statement. I do only have probably 100-150 miles or so on mine but they dont seem to be wearing down abnormally fast.

In any case I would highly recommend them!!

mtbr member
    I am very envious of your place of residence. That is my favorite place in the world. Some of the best riding in the country if you know where to ride. Look at maxxis. With my 10 years of riding experience there I have had good luck with super knobbie xc race tires.

When I win the lottery i am going to buy a place on the lake in tahoe city.
    Ride & Smile

master blaster
    i rode:
    nevegal 2.1
    prowler sl 2.1
    karma 1.9

ive only likes the karma 1.9
    theyre light/fast/corner good/grip in dry silty uphill.....aka great tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The 2.2 Mountain Kings do really well on my Jabberwocky. I haven't had problems with leaves, roots, rocks or mud in SW VA and WV. The 2.2 also has much lower knobs than the 2.4 so it rolls faster. It is kinda narrow more 2.0ish but on a SS it does really well

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Geax Saguaro 29x2.2.....I really dislike the Nevegal on hardpack and loose over hardpack and they are just ok in sand/moondust. Nevegal is heavy and a slow roller....selling mine.
    Get off the couch and ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Onehot,

I ride the new Spec. Purgatory 29er in our area (Tahoe City) an love it. I had rampages last year and while they had great traction, they didn't roll very well.

On my 29 SS, I have 2.4 up front and 2.2 in the back. I ride here and in the Bend area with this set up and have no problems ( ie: roll well, great traction , etc.)

If the 2.4 would have fit in the back, it would have been 2.4 all around. This is my first full season with a SS and the big Purgatory's really help here in TC.

I work at Tahoe Dave's (ski) in TC, call me (or PM me) for more local info.

Gary

SS or Die
    If your riding rigid I would highly recommend a Swalbe Racing Ralph 2.4 up front and a Kenda Karma 1.9 does a great job at the rear. Both tires are nice and light and reasonably reliable.

A few guys have recommended the Ignitor 2.1 on the front and it is another great tire.

Racing Ralph 2.4 538-650 grams
    Ignitor 2.1 675-725 grams
    Kenda Karma L3R Pro 1.9 481-520 grams

Hope this helps.
    "Be the Gear..."

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    The Mtn King can be a bit flexy on the large shoulder knobs on hardpack. Great winter/spring tire though. I have been liking the Specialized Purgatory on the front in a 2.2 but the 2.4 Purg is pretty light and big volume. Rear tires vary for me.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    I'm not a fan of MK 2.2's.
    Strength-
    1. Awesome traction in every environment and condition
    Weaknesses-
    2. Slow
    3. Super Low volume. Have to run an abnormally high tire pressure otherwise I dent my rims.
    4. Weak sidewalls.
    5. Tread wears too quickly

I like these tires better
    Jones ACX 2.2
    Maxxis Ardent (2.25)
    Ignitor
    Crossmark (only as a rear tire in nice conditions)

BTW, I'm not a Maxxis tire tester but would like to be. Actually, I'd like to be a tire tester for any company.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I ride a rigid Jabber with Conti mountain king 2.4's, 20 psi up front and 27 psi rear. Like ice cream on a summer day.

mtbr member
    Tire selection is a very personal thing, but I can share with you my experiences:

I've had good luck with Bontrager XDX 2.1 at lower pressures. They have higher volume than the 2.3 WTB ExiWolf tires on my other bike. The XDX seems to roll fast and hook on just about everything. Only downside I can see is the weight.

ExiWolfs are great when they are new, but after some time their performance has rapidly decreased. Feels like my back end is sliding all over the place (and yet I still have what I would consider plenty of tread left).

People seem to rave about the Specialized Captain 2bliss tires. Those seem to be worthy of a try.
    Signature

mtbr member
    +1 on the XDX 2.1. I'm running it on the rear with a 29-3 team edition front. Both TLR and worth the weight penalty if you like to run low pressures. 20 psi front and 22 rear with a 160pd rider and no burping or bottoming whatsoever.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    If you like really fat tires like I do, I recommend the Maxxis Ardent 2.4. Not a light tire but it rolls well and I haven't found a condition yet for which it isn't up to the task (except gen-u-wine Orygun winter mud).

Disclaimers: (1) I'm a tire tester for Maxxis (though I feel unbiased) and (2) I live in Western Oregon where our trail treads consist of compacted loam that stays firm all summer -- very little moon dust.

--Sparty

P.S. Check MTBR's 29er board -- LOTS of tire threads there.
    While I like Maxxis tires as well, I am a disappointed that they will not warranty their LUST tires because I foolishly used sealant.
    OTOH, Continental does not take issue with sealant and Mountain Kings will be my next tires, assuming I can get them for the 29er.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrossman
    While I like Maxxis tires as well, I am a disappointed that they will not warranty their LUST tires because I foolishly used sealant.
    OTOH, Continental does not take issue with sealant and Mountain Kings will be my next tires, assuming I can get them for the 29er.
    I use 2.4 Mountain Kings here in Orygun to navigate our ridiculous winter mud -- they're dang fine. Not much a 2.4, though, but fine regardless.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RMcjd
    +1 on the XDX 2.1. I'm running it on the rear with a 29-3 team edition front. Both TLR and worth the weight penalty if you like to run low pressures. 20 psi front and 22 rear with a 160pd rider and no burping or bottoming whatsoever.
    I thought the team edition wasn't TLR?
    Signature

mtbr member
    Just double checked. Mine is a Team edition TLR. Got it with my wheelset from Mikesee last fall.

mtbr member
    I just realized there are two different 29-3 with two different tread patterns. I was looking at the wrong one.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    loving my conti mtn kings. did 3 hours of rock gardens in PA two weeks ago... while it was pouring the whole time. i was seriously impressed. rocks weren't even slick.

but as other have said, they are narrow.

Did I catch a niner+?
    I did not care for the MK's really. They give too much rolling resistance for my liking and the knobs do squirm quite a bit on hardpack. I much prefer the all terrainess of a Captain 2.2, after letting them stretch on a flow tubeless they have almost hit a 2.3 tire.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    only advice is that the 29 version doesn't always feel the same as the 26 version. I used to ride nevegals on my 26ss & loved them... tried them when I first went to 29ss & felt like monster truck tires.

I ride mostly hardpack & I like crossmarks or small blocks. Right now I'd say the crossmarks are my favorite, though I would like to try a slant 6 in the front with a small block 8 in rear. Anybody tried that combo yet?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I am running the Spec Captain S-Works 2.2 up front and Fast Track S-works 2.0 in the rear on my SS 29er. I've had great luck with the tires. I run the fast tracks on my 26" bike as well. They are tubeless ready and setup real easy. They also come in the non-sworks model if you want a thicker sidewall. IMO specialized is making the best tires out there right now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I am currently running a 2.3 Rampage in the front. Tried it in the rear and didn't like it at all. I stuck with my 2.1 ignitor back there. It is flip for the ignitor - love it as a rear don't like it up front.

bike rider
    Racing Ralphs 2.4" front and rear for Tahoe if you're rigid or squishy up front.
    My Bikes Kick Ass!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I think the Rampage is a great front tire if front tires are important to you. I can run it at 17psi tubeless on a Flow rim and lean the bike way over. I have a 2.4 Ardent mounted and ready to try. I expect it may be even better but will always think highly of the Rampage as a front tire in Colorado.

I recently tried a RR 2.4 and found it worthless as a front tire but very nice as a rear however I don't find rear tire performance nearly as critical as the front. I just want them to be big and roll well.

Ignitors are good 600g all purpose rears, so are Nanoraptors.
    Ardent 2.2 was ok as a rear, more volume than the ignitor and heavier, not super durable.
    Wolverine is a beefier rear at 800g that still rolls well.
    SB8 rolled great but wasn't any good for me in loose conditions.
    I'd like to try an Aspen as a light rear tire a Seguaro as a medium duty rear.
    2 wheels

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by artnshel
    I recently tried a RR 2.4 and found it worthless as a front tire but very nice as a rear ...
    I agree about the Racing Ralph. I bought a pair to race the Cream Puff, sold them after that one ride. I found they have a vary narrow window for tire pressure wherein they performed well ... or even acceptably. Too hard and they're skitterish, too soft and they roll way easily. Sold the pair to a buddy for cheap to get rid of them.

I think we are in the minority, tho.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Members who have read this thread: 0