29er SS clipless pedal recommendations.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

29er SS clipless pedal recommendations.

Been riding time pedals for ever . Just wanted to maybe try something lighter that works well with mashing the uphills on my Rig. Thanks in advance.

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBOLOCO
    Been riding time pedals for ever . Just wanted to maybe try something lighter that works well with mashing the uphills on my Rig. Thanks in advance.

Most the other SS riders, and nearly all the Rigs, here in Wisconsin are using EggBeaters. I switched from old Onzas to EggBeaters on my Rig. I haven't ridden them significantly but they seem to engage solidly. I'm sure I'll be happy.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

Birthday Collector
    I'm using the Crank Bros Mallet C or Mallet M on all my Mtn Bikes now. They are reasonably light and I like the platform. If that pedal is too big - check out the Candy models - they all use the Eggbeater mechanism, just vary on how much surrounds that assembly. I use the Candy on my road bikes - that way I can use the same shoes on any of my bikes. Good engagement and float for those like me with questionable knees... Very much like Time but I think that they engage better and are lighter.

mtbr member
    i am partial to spd's myself. i have two sets of shimano 959's which are now the xtr spds. probably have around 5000 miles on the two pairs and no issues. i tried crank bro pedals for a couple of months and they just didnt do it for me.

I live to bike
    I just installed a set of Xpedo M Force Ti/Ti pedals on my SS 29er. Haven't had a chance to ride them yet, but I've been using the Chromo version on my cross bike and used them on my mtb bike before that. The Ti/Ti ones are super light - 210 grams for the pair, but there is a rider weight limit of 187 pounds for the Ti axled versions. I like the Xpedos for their light weight, yet are Shimano SPD compatible, so I can use my Shimano multi-directional release cleats.

Just hit it with speed

Beaters

Ride a rig with Eggbeaters SL. Only unclipped unintentionally once and probably more my fault than the pedals. The engagement although not audible can easily be felt. Unclips like butter where as the stock pedals on the Rig Shimano 545's or something actually required me to move my foot in and than swing out like I had to get a running start, I hated them. The beaters feel very very smooth. Their mud shedding ability is shocking. I put my foot down in a mud field up to my ankle. Pushed my bike through it and didn't even think about knocking the mud off before plopping my foot back on the pedal. The Shimanos were very temperamental with to much mud in the cleat/pedal. I don't need much more convincing than that.

Weigh I think in the 260's or 270's so weight is a plus as well. Never missed the flats so I don't think I'm a candidate for the candies. If you plan on stopping or you tend to spin out on hills having the flats of the candies or mallets may help.
    Don't hate on the minivan!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Thanx for the replies

Do the small eggbeaters feel like enough platform while standing?

local trails rider
    I use Times myself but have heard people recommend very stiff soles (carbon) when using Eggbeaters. Looks like more people are also breaking Eggbeaters (I think they are not all the same, though).

NormalNorm
    Using shimano 959's and wouldnt want anything else. They shed mud well, and unclip the same everytime. I've got them on all(3) my bikes now.

mtbr member
    Egg beaters. Easy in; easy out.

mtbr member
    I have both xpedos and shimano spd's... the xpedos look way good (very minimalist), but they make me nervous on rocky stuff. I'd hate to hit a rock with one of them, I'm afraid of bending the metal that holds the front part of the cleat. ... in fact I've moved that pedal to my road fixie. Shimano's take a beating and still perform well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    why do you want to give up the Time pedals?

i had the piggish 400g aliums on my Rig, but then swapped them for the Ti ATACs, which are iirc 265g or so. love the stability, love the engagement/disengagement.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Time atacs

I was in the same boat as you. I rode Atacs since late 90's. Finally tried the new XTRs this year and HATED them. The clearance is not as good as the Times and I had to crank them way down to keep from coming out unintentionally. They have too many release angles for me and engagment is not as solid as I like it. I clipped so many rocks that I took them off after about 8 or 10 rides and purchased new atacs which are incredible compared to the shimanos. Thought about the candy pedals but stuck with what I knew.
    Selling the shimanos.

Members who have read this thread: 0