29er sizing dilema, specifically Salsa Selma.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

29er sizing dilema, specifically Salsa Selma.

I am looking at the Salsa Selma. I am always in between frame sizes. I am 5'10" but torso long with a 30" pant inseam - I tend to look at the top tube length when picking a bike because of that. I ride a size large blur with a 23.5 inch virtual top tube.

When going with a single speed 29er, is it better to be slightly bigger than smaller, or vice versa. I always like going a size up too because it allows me to get the taller head tube as opposed to ending up ass over bars.

Thanks for any insight.

mtbr member
    I am also 5'10'' with a long torso...XL Tshirts...etc...
    i initially started out with a Salsa Mamasita 29er (frame size small) At first I was thinking of sticking with gears, but found a fondness for ridinging singlespeed. That part was ok, but I found it just barely allowing me to ride comfortably position-wise. I thought getting a small 29er would work out like a medium 26er...but i was wrong. I did go over the bars a few times trying to adjust to the different frame and it was a painful lesson.

I eBay'd the smaller Mamasita and turned a small profit since they are popular frames out there! So I then ordered a Salsa Selma (medium). It fit me so right...I haven't looked back since. I did a lightweight race season on her this year and plan on a full race season on her next year...
    Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind...Dr Seuss.

mtbr member
    I'd say go with the medium. I'm 5'9" and ride a small Dos (gears) and a medium Mama (ss). I find that the small frame is great for sitting and climbing and the medium allows me to stand and hammer without feeling like I am to far over the front.

Love Salsa frames. Really like the Selma.

Members who have read this thread: 0