29er Single speed wheelset- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

29er Single speed wheelset

Iím not completely sold on the whole 29er thing, but I'm start to wonder if I missing something. I mostly ride a SS and would consider building a Fisher Superfly SS. Does anyone have the Superfly SS and what is the weight on that bike? I have it in my mind that the weight of the wheelset and tires would be a downfall of the 29er. Does anyone know of some sweet light weight 29er tire and wheels? What kind of weight can I expect on those?

mtbr member
    I was somewhat of a weight weenie. I did not obsess about it, but it was just about the only thing I ever worried about. My rigid steel SS is about 24.5 pounds. The wheels (Stans Flows with Nevegal tires) are friggin 10lbs themselves. That said, I am a convert and prefer it over anything else.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    10 lbs?? that's crazy! I'm a faster ride and ride as hard and fast as I can on every ride. and I can't see a 10lb wheelset being very fast!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kbslow
    10 lbs?? that's crazy! I'm a faster ride and ride as hard and fast as I can on every ride. and I can't see a 10lb wheelset being very fast!
    I am pretty much climbing at the same level. SS has made me a little stronger, so I may be a little faster. Downhill, I can not imagine having less tire/wheel on a Rigid SS. I am faster on non-chunk/non-tech trails than I am on my 26" Epic.

There are too many variables to try to quantify, and that is my point. If I had only been concerned about weight, I would have never done it. I did it, and it is my favorite bike I have ever had. For longer multi-day epicish rides this summer, I am building a geared and suspended fork version of the same bike. I will use Crest rims and lighter tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What are you expecting the Crest rims and light tires to weigh?

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    in my experience, you just cant get that light of a wheel and expect it to hold up to the same stuff as a 26er wheel. Same with tires. I tried it, and switched back to 26". 1540g for the wheels, and 1000g for both tires are just hard to beat for a fairly strong setup. I really noticed the difference in the technical areas where i'm trying to muscle my bike up over stuff. Much more precise feeling, IMHO.

mtbr member
    What are you expecting the Crest rims and light tires to weigh?
    I dunno, the rims are 130 grams lighter per wheel. I haven't decided on a tire yet, but 200 grams per wheel is not out of the question ... so that would be a savings of approx 300 grams per wheel ... rotational weight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So ISuckAtRiding, you have tried the the 29er thing and switched back to a 26er. Im a very technical rider and work very hard to carry as much speed thru the corners as possible. the statement "Much more precise feeling" are you talking about the 29er or the 26er?

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    So ISuckAtRiding, you have tried the the 29er thing and switched back to a 26er. Im a very technical rider and work very hard to carry as much speed thru the corners as possible. the statement "Much more precise feeling" are you talking about the 29er or the 26er?
    the 26er... it was better for throwing the bike around. I'm used to just being able to think where i wanted the front wheel, and it would get there. The 29er was a bit of a different story.
    The 29er was better for fast flowy stuff, but that's not what i'm really about. To put it this way, if i had to choose between 2 trucks... a rock crawler or a prerunner, i'd most definitely pick the rock crawler.
    different strokes for different folks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    See I have problem. Im more of a Rock Racer kind of guys, Fast up fast down! Anyway thanks guys! I will just put my head down and pedal harder!

mtbr member
    The best technical rider, I have ever known, is one of the people who convinced me to try a 29r.

You should find someone who will loan you their 29r and give it a try.

mtbr member
    kbslow...definitely try a 29er before making a final decision. No matter what you won't have a 29er wheelset as light as the 26" equivalent. More material for those extra inches = more weight. You may be able to compensate with lighter tires, going tubless, etc.

You sacrifice a bit with acceleration but as stated before the larger wheel allows you to roll over objects with less effort. I also feel the 29er holds speed/momentum better than the small wheeled equivalent. Depending on your size you may also feel more comfortable/confident on a larger wheel bike.
    Signature

Members who have read this thread: 0