29er for the road- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

29er for the road

Out of curiosity, has anyone converted a single speed 29er not for trails but for more efficient road use?

I mean by using skinny road wheels and tires, lightweight road crank, etc.

I've been looking for pics .. seems like everyone is running trail setups on SS 29ers.

mtbr member

Sure did

I threw a pair of 700 x 35c cyclocross tires on my full rigid Outcast and it made a great road machine! Where I live the roads are super steep so I left the mountain gearing on it and just love putting some training rides on it. Once you go to the low rolling resistance tire, you may want to bump up the gearing cuz it'll be fast!

Apr 2007
    Just curious why you'd try to set up a mountain bike for the road? Or are you saying that you'll have two wheel sets and switch off between road and mtb wheels?

IMO, use what the frame was intended for. Love the super quick handling of my SS road bike on-road, and love my SS mt bike for the trails. If you cannot have both, then, yes, go with road wheels and tires. But you'll have to make sure your brake system is compatible with both wheel sets.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Yup- I did a KM with BA's and then 35mm panaracers. It was fine. I think I prefer my '89 Rockhopper for road use.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    <--- not balling enough to have two setups.

one wheelset, but I just got my spacer kit .. still debating on cog and chainring ratio ...

Since it will be on the road when it turns into a SS .. i'm thinking of emulating a road ratio of about a 46 x 18 (or 19,20, etc.).

Thoughts?

Either way, i'm hitting on a mid to high 40s in the front chainring .. should be fast enough. Maybe even better with the mtb position on the saddle. Maybe even catch some group ride with the roadies.

Off the back...
    Yup, I run 38C on my diSSent in the winter. I threw 25C on there as well for fun [Open Pro rims on Hope hubs] and it was significantly easier to get and keep speed. Handling-wise, a shorter fork is an easy way to get a snappier feel up front. I wouldn't worry about the cranks unless you have DH or something like that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    you can put slicks on them.

99% of bikes will not take a road chainset (inner ring is too big) although you might get a compact on.

You'll have to build wheels or put mavic speedcity wheels on, since MTB spacing is 135mm and road hubs are 130mm.

This would be a thoroughly redundant exercise.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Just add some slicks and up your gearing. I've been riding a 29ered 1x1 with slicks and 42x16 for a year for ten (Flat) miles each way. Thought about adding some drop bars but never got to it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear
    Just add some slicks and up your gearing. I've been riding a 29ered 1x1 with slicks and 42x16 for a year for ten (Flat) miles each way. Thought about adding some drop bars but never got to it.
    Thanks .. i might try a higher ratio to see how fast it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by C Dunlop

This would be a thoroughly redundant exercise.
    Thanks! I love you too. I'll keep you in mind when i'm done.

mtbr member
    isnt that called a track bike?
    Ride & Smile

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    yep .. but i like experimenting.

If this goes well .. I have a uber fast commuter. Hopefully the Schwalbe Kojaks is as good as people say it is.

If it doesn't go well .. then I guess i'll drop the gearing down to what Bipolar had for a 42 chainring.

PSYCHOLUST
    I think I'm following the idea...... you are considering the VERY different gearing you'll want to have for road?

I have a Surly CrossCheck that I ride on the road with 53X14 with 700X23c tires..... crazy fast

Apr 2007
    Are you sure you don't want to just sell your current bike for a road SS? If you can, test ride a SS roadie. I love my Steamroller and riding my 29er on the road is a bore. I've got my road SS geared at 48x18. It's pretty hilly around here and I can make it up 99% of the hills.

BTW, I've seen several SS road bikes on craigslist for less than $500. There is a Surly CrossCheck on there for $450. Gary Fisher Triton $350. Lemond Fillmore $300. etc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scyule
    I think I'm following the idea...... you are considering the VERY different gearing you'll want to have for road?

I have a Surly CrossCheck that I ride on the road with 53X14 with 700X23c tires..... crazy fast

You're a beast for sure because my track bike is only set at 48 x 17 .. and i thought that was fast. I'll definitely have to work my legs more to be comfortable in that range.
    Not sure about the 700x23s .. got some 19s and 21s laying around, but my 29er rims are too wide for them. Waiting on my 700 x 35 Kojaks to come in.

Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    Are you sure you don't want to just sell your current bike for a road SS? If you can, test ride a SS roadie. I love my Steamroller and riding my 29er on the road is a bore. I've got my road SS geared at 48x18. It's pretty hilly around here and I can make it up 99% of the hills.

BTW, I've seen several SS road bikes on craigslist for less than $500. There is a Surly CrossCheck on there for $450. Gary Fisher Triton $350. Lemond Fillmore $300. etc.
    I'm pretty sure i don't want to sell my bike. I may not have enough for a new bike, but I already have most bike disciplines covered in my stable from a tri to road to track.
    If i wanted a dedicated SS .. i'd throw in a cog on my track bike .. but why not have some fun on a mtb?

Apr 2007
    Oh, didn't know you already had a track bike. Yeah, throw some 30-38's on there and have fun.

BTW, 48-17 on your track bike? Do you ride it on the track? If so, that's too low of a gearing by any standard.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    yeah 48s had me at a low speed, but i somewhat got into cycling by doing track when i was weak and 50+ chainrings had me frightened. i kinda progressed into road/tri and really started using the track bike as a commuter bike with the 48 chainring being a very good ratio to get around on.

Members who have read this thread: 0