29er inverted stems- Mtbr.com
    Over the bars...

29er inverted stems

New bike all tricked out with a basic 5 degree inverted stem still sits just off level handlebar high. I prefer my bars slightly below my saddle. Does anyone have a recommendation for a 15 or so degree stem I can invert to get the bars below the saddle? I would prefer if it did not break the bank for now but will hold up to abuse well. Thanks in advance.

Did I catch a niner+?

I just flipped a Mary to give kind of the same effect. You could look at Easton stems most of them I have seen are reversible.

A quick search:
    https://www.jensonusa.com/store/prod...sion+Stem.aspx
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    All stems are "reversible". Unless it bugs you to see an upside down logo (like on my Thomson). For a good not too expensive stem, I'd recommend Salsa SUL stems or Ritchey Comp stems. Both are good for the money.

(This is the perfect opportunity to use a little trigonometry and algebra to determine what length and angle stem will put the bars where you want them. Not everything they taught you in high school was a waste of time!)

Over the bars...
    Thanks, my issue is trying to figure out who has a decent 15 degree or so stem. Most seem to only come in 5-6 degree up/down. The ritchie's look like a good fit if only I could figure out how to read the descriptions on jensonusa. More research to do... Alrerady measured out to need a 100mm stem now just to play with angles. Maybe a 105 with 15 would work....

mtbr member
    Hey egggman,

I use a Bontrager X Light stem (100mm 17 deg, inverted) on my 29 singlespeed to get the bar level with the saddle. I am 5'6" so a 29er front end is very high for me. I bought it at the Trek Store (just south of Younge and Eglington). I think it was around $90, so not very cheap, but light and strong. You might be able to find it on-line cheaper.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Over the bars...
    Thanks, I will look into that one. I am also 5'6" and on an 18" the bars are just a hair high.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Have you already lowered the stem with the spacers? If not you can get 10-20 mm lower depending on how your steer tube is cut.

mtbr member

Over the bars...
    Yup, have already got the stem sitting below the spacers. Thanks.

i don't give a shift
    I use a Thomson X2 with -17 degrees.

Over the bars...
    Looks perfect. I will be popping by my LBS and looking at available 17degree stems. Thanks guys.

Over the bars...
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    Hey egggman,

I use a Bontrager X Light stem (100mm 17 deg, inverted) on my 29 singlespeed to get the bar level with the saddle. I am 5'6" so a 29er front end is very high for me. I bought it at the Trek Store (just south of Younge and Eglington). I think it was around $90, so not very cheap, but light and strong. You might be able to find it on-line cheaper.
    Just looked at your bike pix and quoted my buddies shop. He can only get the Thompson and it looks sweet too. Ordered it up. Just think I am going to be more comfortable that way.

the test dummy
    both those bikes are awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

Over the bars...
    Thanks again, went in to pickup the X2 but it still did not quite get me to where I needed to be. Buddy set me up with this 35 degree drop which did it. May look a little odd but felt great in the 8-hour yesterday.

Bar ends give the illusion that the bars are still above the saddle but measures aboud 1/2 inch below. Here is the complete toy as she sits for now...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think you would be a good candidate for a non suspension specific frame and fork.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicmtbr
    I think you would be a good candidate for a non suspension specific frame and fork.
    I was gonna say the same thing. At first I was wondering why anyone would want to do an inverted stem until I saw the frame size. Once I saw it everything made sense.

Only reason to run that set up, imho, is for the frame geometry, most notably affecting steering and weight bias - but hey, different strokes for different folks.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

Over the bars...
    I'm a short guy all length in upper body and was fitted for this bike. Feels great now. Never sure if the new/this version of fit is better or worse. I am riding faster this year, either it is me/the bike or a mix. Whatever works. My bike penny pile is empty now tho so I will be playing with this one for a while.

This response is not to be crusty, just to give some background
    Last edited by egggman; 05-17-2010 at 05:40 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0