29er or 26er, lets hear your thoughts......- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

29er or 26er, lets hear your thoughts......

OK, so here's the deal.... had a real sweet Salsa SS (one of the last true Salsa's before the QBP purchase), out of need for $$ it got sold. Ever since then I've been jonesing for another SS rig. After riding a 29er last fall (geared set-up) I got to thinking about building up a 29er, now I'm complicating things by thinking of a 29er SS. Any pros/cons of 29er vs 26er? Local trails are pretty rough and rocky, hence the thinking of a 29er. Anyone ridden both? Any gearing changes? Thinking of a custom Soulcraft or Sycip.
    Thanks for the input

gentle like

you might do well to ask in the 29er forum -

- for their opinions as well; i've found it most helpful to peruse.

not that this is likely news to you, but the issue of limited selection seems (to me) to be the biggest drawback. currently. if you are going custom frame anyways, there's one issue solved. you can buy 29" salsa rims on surly hubs (disc or not) from the distributor "quality bike (or bicycle?) parts" for around $170 for the back wheel and slightly less for the front- i found that through the harris cyclery site, as they are close to my locale.

then there's the suspension fork issue (if you don't go rigid) - a couple white bros and one not-oem marzocchi choice, that's it for now.

personally, i think i like the 29er thing, and think that's the way i'll next go. i am a looooong way away from any new bike, but that's fine, as i'd rather wait and see how much the market (and the choices) continues to expand.

IMBA Guy
    Jan 2004

Smile

I love my Karate Monkey, it's the best handling bike I've ever owned and it rolls over everything.

As the kept man pointed out, the problem with 29ers is limited tire and sussy fork selection, but the choices are growing. White Bros just added another 29er fork to their line, and QBP is selling a fork with carbon lowers under their Winwood label. The winwood forks are getting good reviews so far, and the prices are good. Zoke dropped one of their 2 forks to OEM status, but they weren't that good anyway. More tire manufacturers are bringing 29er tires to market, and WTB is going to start offering a much sought after 2.3 tread this summer. Wheel options are good, there are plenty of mountain, touring and road rims that can be built into good off road wheels.

Now that WTB is going to make a fat tire and there are a couple of good forks to choose from I see no real drawback to 29ers. Sure, you don't have the wide selection that the 26" wheeled crowd has, but there are components to be had for just about every purpose. I've yet to find a situation where I'd rather have my small wheeled SS. I still can't believe how fast & smooth my bike is in rough or sloppy conditions.

You will have to drop your gearing about 10% relative to a 26" bike, because the wheel is 10% larger.
    Last edited by DancingBear; 03-09-2004 at 03:40 PM. Reason: speelling
    Powered by Krispy Kreme!

Moderator Moderator

29"er!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alta825
    After riding a 29er last fall (geared set-up) I got to thinking about building up a 29er, now I'm complicating things by thinking of a 29er SS. Any pros/cons of 29er vs 26er?
    Four words:

WTB 2.3" coming soon!!!

'nuff said.

hispanic mechanic

after my first 6 months of riding 29"...

Quote Originally Posted by Alta825
    OK, so here's the deal.... had a real sweet Salsa SS (one of the last true Salsa's before the QBP purchase), out of need for $$ it got sold. Ever since then I've been jonesing for another SS rig. After riding a 29er last fall (geared set-up) I got to thinking about building up a 29er, now I'm complicating things by thinking of a 29er SS. Any pros/cons of 29er vs 26er? Local trails are pretty rough and rocky, hence the thinking of a 29er. Anyone ridden both? Any gearing changes? Thinking of a custom Soulcraft or Sycip.
    Thanks for the input
    i sold my sweet ibis mojo ss. i don't ever feel the need to ride 26" wheels again. now, i know that not everyone would agree, but i feel that for my riding style, the 29" wheel are much better at almost everything.
    yes, your moment of inertia is greater, so maintaining momentum is key. luckily, it's key to singlespeeding anyway, so it works out.
    on the rockier trails, i have definitely noticed a huge improvement with bigger wheels; they roll over stuff, instead of feeling "hung up" like 26" wheels feel now.
    as far as gearing goes, i'm pretty comfortable on 32:18. i came off of a 34:18 on the ibis. on paper, the 32:18/29" is a taller gear than 34:18/26", but the transition was fine!
    hope this helps,
    the los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

Fat Boy Deluxe

Hucking

Quote Originally Posted by sslos
    i sold my sweet ibis mojo ss. i don't ever feel the need to ride 26" wheels again. now, i know that not everyone would agree, but i feel that for my riding style, the 29" wheel are much better at almost everything.
    yes, your moment of inertia is greater, so maintaining momentum is key. luckily, it's key to singlespeeding anyway, so it works out.
    on the rockier trails, i have definitely noticed a huge improvement with bigger wheels; they roll over stuff, instead of feeling "hung up" like 26" wheels feel now.
    as far as gearing goes, i'm pretty comfortable on 32:18. i came off of a 34:18 on the ibis. on paper, the 32:18/29" is a taller gear than 34:18/26", but the transition was fine!
    hope this helps,
    the los
    What about using the 29er to do some jumping, not dirt jumping, but say dropping in from an above ledge, like 4 feet or so? I tried a 29er in the parking lot and really liked the way it felt there, but I don't know about in the air.

DT

hispanic mechanic

well...

Quote Originally Posted by DmofoT
    What about using the 29er to do some jumping, not dirt jumping, but say dropping in from an above ledge, like 4 feet or so? I tried a 29er in the parking lot and really liked the way it felt there, but I don't know about in the air.

DT
    i don't do a lot of that stuff, the biggest drop-in i've done on the 29" is probably 3-4", with a good tranny. the big wheels feel really stable in the air.

the los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com