29Der SS Wheelset for RIM brakes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

29Der SS Wheelset for RIM brakes

I'm losing my mind!

I can't find a decent wheelset for my 29'er with rim brakes that are single speed specific. I don't want to build a custom wheel, I'd like to just buy them set up and ready to go. I've tried Pricepoint, Jenson, Nashbar,

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

AZ
    banned
    P.M. Mikesee

mtbr member
    What price range? You should be able to get a wheelset custom built for you with Surly disc hubs for <$300

mtbr member
    I checked out Mikesee's ad, none of his were SS specific with rim brake capable.

I was hoping to keep it under 350, so that custom build may be the way to go, but I didn't think I could get it done that cheaply.

Moderator Moderator
    May 2009
    Salsa cyclocross rims ($37 @ Cambriabike the last time that I purchased them, less the discount that day) work really well for me. You can easily satisfy your budget if the hubs aren't too blingy.

mtbr member
    Email Mikesee or go to Lacemine29.com for a quote. Check out bike29.com as well.

Another option would be to talk to your local bike shop and see what they can do. My LBS can get pretty close to most online prices. Plus they are local and support is more immediate(no shipping) if there is a problem. They'll occasionally work for beer too. Give them a shot at your money too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by octotat
    I checked out Mikesee's ad, none of his were SS specific with rim brake capable.

I was hoping to keep it under 350, so that custom build may be the way to go, but I didn't think I could get it done that cheaply.
    mikesee's main business is custom wheels, and I can guarantee he can put something decent together within that price range. It all depends on what level parts you are expecting for that price. Like I said earlier, Surly SS hubs can be built up in the $300 range (sorry if i sounded confused when I accidentally wrote the word "disc" in that post) .

This wheelbuilder page is great for getting a basic idea of what a custom wheelset will cost for any combination of parts. According to that page, Universal can build a set of Surly SS hubs with WTB Dual Duty rims and DT Comp spokes for only $250 (not including shipping).

mtbr member
    Definitely try your local bike shop first.

You'll find if they build it, then it will get priority treatment if you ever need it trued, spokes replaced etc. Don't economise on the spokes, and use brass nipples.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike
    Definitely try your local bike shop first.

You'll find if they build it, then it will get priority treatment if you ever need it trued, spokes replaced etc. Don't economise on the spokes, and use brass nipples.
    I agree with everything you said, but in some situations the price difference can make it hard to justify. Quotes I got from reputable "mail order" wheel builders were basically equal to retail cost of just the parts. In comparison my local shops charge full retail for the parts and up to $40 per wheel, or $80 dollars out of the entire wheelset budget. I love supporting local business and local riders, but I also owe it to myself to find balance that with getting the most for my money

Members who have read this thread: 0