29 SS Weights- Mtbr.com

Thread: 29 SS Weights

mtbr member
    May 2008

29 SS Weights

Just curious. Was wondering what a realistic lightest weight for a steel singlespeed with a 5 pound frame might be--and how much cash you would have to throw at it! Mine is about 23-1/2 stock. What does yours weigh?

dwt
    mtbr member
    My steel 26'er frame is about the same, and the built bike weighs just over 20lbs. But my wheels are burly UST tubeless. If you get some boutique wheels and go ghetto tubeless, you could get it lower. But 20 feels great compared to my dualie geared bike.

The weight of a bikes frame sets a limit on how low you can go.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yeah, I think that 20# would be a really nice weight. Had a discussion yesterday over in training and racing about 26 vs 29 race bikes based on weight. For me those bikes may be a wash in adv vs. disadv, but I don't know how anyone would want to ride anything other than a 29er for rigid singlespeed. Heck, my SS steel fork feels about the same as the 80mm travel on the 26" bike... After I do a couple of XC races coming up, I really only plan to ride SS. Maybe race SS next year! Thought I would start with a nice crank, then move to wheels in the fall.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slohr
    Yeah, I think that 20# would be a really nice weight. Had a discussion yesterday over in training and racing about 26 vs 29 race bikes based on weight. For me those bikes may be a wash in adv vs. disadv, but I don't know how anyone would want to ride anything other than a 29er for rigid singlespeed. Heck, my SS steel fork feels about the same as the 80mm travel on the 26" bike... After I do a couple of XC races coming up, I really only plan to ride SS. Maybe race SS next year! Thought I would start with a nice crank, then move to wheels in the fall.
    I converted a 26'er hardtail to SS in the late 90's, before 29 existed, which should answer your question about why anyone would ride a 26'er. Investing in a 29'er now is not high on my list of bike plans. As far as forks, I have Exotic carbon. If you want to keep the weight down on a 29'er, I doubt you'll make it with a steel fork. If you go tubeless, you can even get an aluminum fork because tubeless tires soak up the chatter pretty damn well.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I can certainly understand that. Had the itch to do the same thing at the time, just too busy. Those exotic carbons seem like a really nice deal. Do they noticeably improve the ride over a steel fork? That's the thing about the 29er, the fork is so long that it can deflect a good bit.

master blaster
    my mary is just under 25 pounds. i never did weight it stock though.
    i have king/stans wheels, 1.9 karmas, homebrewed components drivetrain, and changed out a few other things that dropped some weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    My 19" Monocog Flight weighs about 28 lbs (using bathroom scale method). It's basically stock except for the H-Bar, 120mm Stem and Ergon GP1's. Those three parts did add a small amount of weight but oh well.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slohr
    I can certainly understand that. Had the itch to do the same thing at the time, just too busy. Those exotic carbons seem like a really nice deal. Do they noticeably improve the ride over a steel fork? That's the thing about the 29er, the fork is so long that it can deflect a good bit.
    Exotic Carbons are lightweight. As far as the ride on a rigid, it's going to be bumpy on any fork, though more with aluminum and less with carbon,. titanium, and steel. I don't know squat about 29 and the effect of the fork length - and admit it.

The best thing I ever did to improve the ride on my rigid was to go tubeless. I can't say enough about it. Riding at 25 psi smooths out the ride more than the material or length of any fork, IMO.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    My Swift weighs just under 22lbs with a pretty standard fare build and light wheels

My KM was about 21.5lbs with the Exotic carbon fork, and carbon compact road cranks (yeah, that was stupid).

mtbr member
    My SS (based on the near 5lbs diSSent alu frame) weighs close to 20lbs. I built it with nice things like Easton XC One wheels, White Brothers CF fork, Avid Ultimate Carbon brakes, Truvativ Stylo Oct 1.1G cranks.

I sometimes dream of getting a super light CF frame (like the Superfly SS) and drop below 18lbs, but letís face it, it is not the extra 2 lbs that keep me from winning.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've got a rigid El Mariachi with burly wheels weighing in around 23lbs. My "race" singlespeed is a Niner One9 weighing 21.0 with an older Fox F29 and about 19.5 with a White Brothers Carbon fook. I'd like to get the Niner Carbon fork and some high end hydros which would bring the One9 down about a pound, but thats another $600 or so that I don't really have right now.

mtbr member
    Mine is a 5.04 lb frame, bike is 23.06 lbs fully built. It's a rigid Vassago.
    :wq

mtbr member
    May 2008

Ooooooops

Going to have to check the shop's scale. My bike, KHS solo-one SE should not be as light as the other bikes mentioned. I did the bathroom scale weight and got a figure of 26.5 pounds. Sure does ride nice though. Sounds like a lot of weight, but not near as much as the 20 pounds I have gained in the 22 years since I was 25. Too bad I can't buy that weight down...

I think the Salsa Selma looks like a really lightweight and trick ride.

Very nice rides all!! Thanks!

mtbr member
    I have a Jabberwocky thats at about 24 pounds with 80 mm fork. It was about 23 with a heavier crank and carbon rigid before.

bicycle dreamer
    29er Ferrous - 26.1lbs

Reba Race, Rhythm Wheels, 29-3 tires w/tubeless setup. Going for bombproof vs. light. Works well.
    Moving the soul with two wheels.
    I have a slight cycling addiction.

Now living in Nagoya City, Japan!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    XL one 9 with fox fork 23lbs

mtbr member
    May 2009

monocog 29er

26.8 lbs with Mary bars, thomson stem/post. juicy carbons, ODIS fork, king headset/cog and alligator rotors. Stock wheels are like anchors.
    Last edited by agenzale; 04-11-2010 at 07:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Spot 29er

22.4 lbs Tubeless to come.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 29 SS Weights-lr-r-02.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 1