29 SS Steel build?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

29 SS Steel build?

I finally have my geared, dual sus bike where I want it and it just so happens that a buddy who owes me a grand or so is actually paying me back (who knew?)...

My interest is piqued in a steel frame, rigid, 29er SS. Simplicity is the name of the game here, lightness would be nice, but durability and simplicty are what I am after.

Recommendations?

John
    On One Summer Season Single Speed

mtbr member
    I love my Jabberwocky. You should try one!

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I can't say enough good things about the Singular Swift. Very balanced. I've only been on it since last Friday (5 rides) and it already feels like an extension of me.
    The fork is the best rigid fork I have ever ridden. The offset of the fork combined with the angles of the frame create a very intuitive, quick, yet not twitchy ride.
    Sorry, I'm gushing.

There are good deals to be had on complete Karate Monkeys now too (about a grand). Very versatile bike, and a great ride at any price.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    It's a story you've heard before. Spent $400 on a used Raleigh XXIX, the more I rode it the less I rode my big money FS bike. Sold one FS and the other collects dust. I think the Raliegh is the best kept secret out there.

Daryl
    May 2007
    1+ for Raleigh XXIX. By moving my nice parts off of my Litespeed Unicoi, respoking the wheels with DT Supercomps and going tubeless Racubg Ralph 2,25 - this XXIX is 23 lbs even with the stock tank steel fork. I rode it today. Life is good.

My spoon is too big!
    The Monocog Flight is a great choice. I absolutely love mine.
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by 7daysaweek
    I love my Jabberwocky. You should try one!

+1 for the Jabber.

come on Matt.......

mtbr member
    Any of these you guys are mentioning come with rim brakes instead of disc?

Off the back...
    Misfit diSSent steel?
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

mtbr member
    +1 Flight

2009 brand new eBay $825

http://cgi.ebay.com/2009-REDLINE-MON...item2556e899b9
    I'm not on a mission to beat the crap out of myself and everyone else; it just comes naturally with the single speed

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jscusmcvet
    Skip the rim brakes....good disks are alot nicer. Haro Mary is good to me.
    Get off the couch and ride!

mtbr member
    i own a jabberwocky, and i love it. that said, go for a redline monocog flight since you won't be able to build a jabber for less than $1500-$2000. my jabberwocky started out as a standard monocog, and slowly morphed into a jabber. the monocog flight is a solid bike, it can run single or gears. if i ever break the jabber, i will consider a flight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Same here, had a Monocog, then migrated the parts to a Jabberwocky. The Monocog is hard to go wrong with, you can find them used under $500. I paid $425 for mine with Avid discs and in mint condition.

Let There Be Dirt

If Your Frame Budget Alone Is A Grand

Consider the Niner SIR9

Abby Normal
    If you are just looking for something off the shelf then good deals can be had on the complete Karate Monkey's. Made a few small tweaks to mine and have really enjoyed it. With a bit of negotiation you should be easily able to get one for under a grand through a local shop, a fair bit less if you work the bro' deal. But I reckon any of the suggested bikes here would do ya. I'd like to try a Jabberwocky at some point myself.

mtbr member
    I have to say im also for the singular swift, or a custom indy fab would also be a good choice.
    Req. Disclaimer: I sell Giant, Trek, and Electra bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrantGorgon
    The no-brainer store called, they want their question back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz
    Skip the rim brakes....good disks are alot nicer. Haro Mary is good to me.
    I have had both... disc on my current FS bike, but for this build I am interested in my "perceived simplicity" of rim brakes... Not mandatory, but interested...

Abby Normal
    I dunno - mechanical disc brakes are pretty simple (at least I've found that setup and adjustment of the BB7's on my KM is dead easy). I guess maybe you save a little weight with a good set of v-brakes, but not sure they are really any easier to deal with (but to each their own of course).

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by jscusmcvet
    The Surly KM complete comes with bb7's, but the rims are machined so all you'd need was a the v'brake calipers and you'd be rolliing with rim brake.
    But since it already has bb7's, I'd just keep it that way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I second the mechanical disc option. I used to be a hydro snob, thinking they were substandard. But I have BB7s on my kid hauler - 300+ pounds ( kids plus me ) , and the brakes work, plus as mentioned, they are EASY to setup, adjust and easy cable routing/length customization are pluses. I don't have much time to work on bikes - hate air in the lines of hydros so BB7s are going on a SIR I am getting.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Steel is Real! I just built up the SIR 9 and rode it last night - all I can say is wow. Maybe I had the "new bike legs" going, but the think just took off. At 24.5 pounds it isn't ultra light or anything, but it is springy and buttery smooth. I came off a trek 69er and that thing just jack hammered me to no end. I was even taking 1-2 foot hits and landing without any resistance.

I am sure there are many great bikes out there, but the SIR 9 is the real deal - one of the best feeling and fitting bikes I have owned, bar none - I would see no reason to even bother going custom so long as Niner is pumping this bike out. In fact I kind of wish they would make a 69er - it is a cool concept and its benefits can't be denied, but for now I am really enjoying the 29er.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone No Balone
    +1 for the Jabber.

come on Matt.......
    Somehow I missed this one!

For simplicity I went full rigid, single speed, solid parts, etc. I did go with hydro brakes cuz I like em, and I picked XT's. They've been rock solid since installation. The Jabberwocky is like riding a magic carpet made from bad assness. I love this bike.
    :wq

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    Somehow I missed this one!

For simplicity I went full rigid, single speed, solid parts, etc. I did go with hydro brakes cuz I like em, and I picked XT's. They've been rock solid since installation. The Jabberwocky is like riding a magic carpet made from bad assness. I love this bike.
    Another +1 for the Jabber.

PS. I read another Jabber owner who wants something else. He seemed to be concerned with more trick riding, drops and stuff. Said he couldn't lift the front wheel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gjenkins@
    Another +1 for the Jabber.

PS. I read another Jabber owner who wants something else. He seemed to be concerned with more trick riding, drops and stuff. Said he couldn't lift the front wheel.
    I had a hard time getting the front wheel off the ground at first, but I'm getting better at it. Almost went over on my back like a turtle a couple of rides ago
    :wq

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    I had a hard time getting the front wheel off the ground at first, but I'm getting better at it. Almost went over on my back like a turtle a couple of rides ago
    I have never been that kind of rider, but it does help to speed ride up curbs or step ups ... and with riding some larger step-ups on technical climbs. I have buddies who manual road bikes, so I know it is possible.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    +1 for a Singular

Witty McWitterson
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2
    I can't say enough good things about the Singular Swift. Very balanced. I've only been on it since last Friday (5 rides) and it already feels like an extension of me.
    The fork is the best rigid fork I have ever ridden. The offset of the fork combined with the angles of the frame create a very intuitive, quick, yet not twitchy ride.
    Sorry, I'm gushing.
    Preach it!
    Just a regular guy.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    Preach it!
    Just got back from "services"; can I get an Amen!?
    I'm going to give myself one more race this year as a birthday gift to test the Swift's mettle.

mtbr member
    Lots of good recommendations here. Can't really go wrong with any of them. I go through bikes like cheap women, and was in the same boat (read: slippery slope) you are in. I had built up a sweet FS 26" bike and loved it. Then I bought a Monocog 29er to try steel and single speed and just sold that sweet 26er. The Monocog has morphed into much more than a blue collar bike now, but I can't seem to get myself to get rid of the frame as I enjoy the *&^% out of that bike. My recommendations would be (in order):

Monocog Flight
    Jabber
    KM
    mountainbikefaq.com - See my 2x10 to 1x10 conversion (lots of pics!)

Feeling retro..but Jung
    Raleigh

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    Preach it!
    Do you think this is because of the longer legs making it more compliant? Continuing OT: I still want to know how you think the Gryphon fork compares as it is shorter and has more rake. Is this fork not as nice as the Swift's? Both these bikes have me very interested.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    redline monocog & a set of stans 355s on hubs of your choice. Then sale the wheel set. That will give you a reliable & fast ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wesmeyer11
    Steel is Real! I just built up the SIR 9 and rode it last night - all I can say is wow. Maybe I had the "new bike legs" going, but the think just took off. At 24.5 pounds it isn't ultra light or anything, but it is springy and buttery smooth. I came off a trek 69er and that thing just jack hammered me to no end. I was even taking 1-2 foot hits and landing without any resistance.

I am sure there are many great bikes out there, but the SIR 9 is the real deal - one of the best feeling and fitting bikes I have owned, bar none - I would see no reason to even bother going custom so long as Niner is pumping this bike out. In fact I kind of wish they would make a 69er - it is a cool concept and its benefits can't be denied, but for now I am really enjoying the 29er.
    Friends always talked about how nice steel was, but we all just kept buying lightweight alloys. I have been riding Spez M2~M5 for 15 years. the last being a the M4 framed Epic. I am only 4 rides in on my new Jabberwocky, but I am enjoying the steel.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    It's kind of a non sequitur, but I am really digging the 29ers with fat front pugsley wheels. I've never ridden one but they look like a good time.

Witty McWitterson
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    Do you think this is because of the longer legs making it more compliant? Continuing OT: I still want to know how you think the Gryphon fork compares as it is shorter and has more rake. Is this fork not as nice as the Swift's? Both these bikes have me very interested.
    Both forks are made of the same Reynolds 520 tubing. So the difference boils down to length and rake. This is my first foray into riding a bike with such different numbers. I can say it certainly was smooth, though there is probably some set up coming into play too. I am running Racing Ralph 2.4 tires at a pretty low pressure, so that certainly contributes to the smooth ride. It did seem as if the Gryphon would roll up and over stuff a bit better, where as the Swift tends to bounce through things.
    Just a regular guy.

Members who have read this thread: 0