29 SS on a budget?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2018

29 SS on a budget?

Looking to try out single speed and a 29er. Money is a little tight right now so looking to try this out on the cheap.

I am considering either a Gravity G29 for either $349 rigid / $399 front suspension or there is a 2010 Redline Monogoc locally that I can get for $150.

Am I wasting money on the Gravity? Would I be better off with the Redline? This will be a second bike mainly for commuting and some singletrack.

WillWorkForTrail
    The redline was a fine bike. I have several friends on them still. Just give it a look over and make sure it's in reasonable shape.

mtbr member
    Monocog was always a solid bike. is that the "flite" model or the regular one? does it have adjustable sliding dropouts or track ends?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Thanks for the replies. The Monocog is the regular one. It has rim brakes and tires are probably going to need replacing soon.

For $150, am I better off with the Monocog and upgrading what I need as I need or am I better with the Gravity G29 for $349/$399? I should mention the Monocog has a suspension fork, but I don't know what kind. I'm not a big guy, 5'8" and 175lbs, so I don't think I am big enough to cause a lot of abuse.

mtbr member
    I would still go for the Cog. most likely, you can replace the rim brakes with something like BB7s or basic-level Shimano hydros for very little cash. the hubs, frame, and fork are most likely disc-ready.

can you save and post a photo of the bike? the main concern would be sizing. at 175, you're not too heavy for a Monocog! I would guess that a medium 17" frame would fit you well.

the question remains about that fork- what condition is it in? if it needs service, that is not as difficult as it sounds to replace some o-rings and seals.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    29 SS on a budget?-monocog_1.jpg29 SS on a budget?-monocog_2.jpg

mtbr member
    that looks like a flimsy fork, and the front wheel looks like it does not have a disc option. ask the seller if they still have the original rigid fork. not a big deal. fir $150 it will get you started and be a helluva ride.

that goofy seat cover has got to go!

what size is the frame? I am guessing that's a medium 17" frame, but it's hard to tell from the photos. medium sounds right for you.

mtbr member
    Go for the Monocog if those are your two options. I borrowed a buddies Gravity once because I was bikeless for a week or so, and it was the harshest ride I have ever felt. Horrible bikes.

inebriate savant
    I'll add to the chorus of going with the Monocog. Had one and it was heavy, but a good fun bike. Rode well rigid, and as has been mentioned is easily upgradeable.

Also as was said above, if the owner still has the rigid fork I'd just run that rather than what appears to be a budget suspension fork. In my experience and preference, no suspension is better than ill-tuned suspension.
    Work smarter AND harder.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I have no idea what that fork is. The seller is not the original owner, so no rigid fork. I am fine with rigid, that is what my Marin Pine Mountain is. Would it be in my best interest to ride it with that fork, or try to get a rigid one?

Appreciate the feedback on the Gravity.

Any other new models I should consider that would be budget friendly. Realistically I would not want to be spending more than $500 - $600 max.

Upcyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    that looks like a flimsy fork, and the front wheel looks like it does not have a disc option.
    Rear wheel won't have disc option either, so OP would be stuck with rim brakes.

I had a 'Cog too, and it was a fun bike for sure! I wouldn't be so quick to buy that one tho, too many things to change to make it decent. I bought mine for $200 and it was mostly original with a disc brake upgrade.
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to send chazpat cookies.

mtbr member
    I bought a Cog in 2010 or so. both wheels had disc hubs on them, but the bike came with rim brakes. that bike is of the same vintage, so the front wheel is probably a replacement and the rear might be the bolt-on singlespeed disc hub. no way to tell from the photos.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    So then that bike has an aftermarket fork and front wheel...... Thinking that I might just want to pass on this one. Seems like more headache than it will be worth.

mtbr member
    for your budget, you can find something else that is better if you wait. look for an old Monocog is better equipped, Karate Monkey, Unit, Jabberwocky, etc.

inebriate savant
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    for your budget, you can find something else that is better if you wait. look for an old Monocog is better equipped, Karate Monkey, Unit, Jabberwocky, etc.
    I agree with this. With your budget do some shopping here and in other locales online; you for sure will be able to find a good deal with better components.
    Work smarter AND harder.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Downcountry AF
    Yes, much nicer build kit. XT hubs, rotors, cranks. Carbon fork and seatpost, hydro brakes, etc.

I'd buy that over the other two no question. My only question/concern is the chain tensioning. Someone else here probably knows, but does that bike have an EBB or something, or is that a magic gear?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    there's a link to the 2006 Gary Fisher cataolog on that CL ad that shows the Rig with an eccentric BB.

get that Rig! If those Juicy brakes are still working (Juicys are kind of a PITA) that's a rad find for $400.

The Rig has an EBB, if you grease it and properly torque it you wont have any creaking issues. I have thousands of miles on a Rig. I'd be a buyer at 400 but check the seat tube/top tube juncture for signs of cracking before putting your money down.
    "These things are very fancy commuter bikes or really bad dirt bikes, but they are not mountain bikes." - J. Mac

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    https://madison.craigslist.org/bik/d...644302497.html

Here is another option. It looks like this was converted to ss and the suspension fork replaced with a rigid. Any concerns I should have?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by castletonia View Post

Here is another option. It looks like this was converted to ss and the suspension fork replaced with a rigid. Any concerns I should have?
    A friend of mine picked one of these up locally on Craigslist as his first SS and first MTB. Seemed pretty nice when I briefly rode it tho just around a parking lot. Bike was ~20# with carbon rigid fork as bought, but he has replaced with a suss fork. These came with an EBB that has external clamping bolts for SS not sure if same model.
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

Downcountry AF

Yeah, It's got a big S on the headtube. That's right, Spesh hater here. Seriously that company sucks.

Ok seriously though, the Gary Fisher is much cooler and has nice components, plus is cheaper. Plus if I ever see you on a trail I won't immediately judge you because your riding a Specialized. Sorry, it's true.

Did I mention I hate Specialized and Trek? Trek sucks too, it's a four letter word.

Ok, have I gone too far? yes? perfect.

/rant
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member

Meant to mention in my last post, that fork is stock, I'd go for the Spez, more modern frame and upgrades won't be such a bitch(like if you want to upgrade fork)as it has a tapered steerer. It looks like a really good deal especially if there's haggle room. check link below for stock setup.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/crave-sl-29/p/106470
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Of the bikes posted. I'd def buy the Crave. I'm more than happy to bash on the big S but they do make some nice products.
    The Gravity is a great value. I've got on of the 29plus models and love it. The components can be a little hit and miss, especially if you already have some preferences like i do but its all decent and rideable stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    The guy is firm on the Gary Fisher. The Crave is available, but I don't know if price is negotiable. I'm 90 minutes away from either and can't go look until next week due to my schedule.

I have no issue with Specialized. I owned a Hardrock for 15 years that was trouble free and briefly owned a Fatboy. If the budget allowed it, I would probably get a Surly Krampus.

mtbr member
    The guy is firm on the Gary Fisher. The Crave is available, but I don't know if price is negotiable. I'm 90 minutes away from either and can't go look until next week due to my schedule.

I have no issue with Specialized. I owned a Hardrock for 15 years that was trouble free and briefly owned a Fatboy. If the budget allowed it, I would probably get a Surly Krampus.
    I would run from the GF, nothing there that is worth the $ IMO(and XT rear hubs have had freehub issues) plus both the Monocog and GF are period pieces that make upgrades problematic in many ways. Krampus is good but 29+ SS is another level of pain/commitment depending on tires etc. but at least the Crave and Krampus are easy to setup geared if SS experiment goes awry.
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I think I'm gonna pass on the Rig.

The seller of the Crave is firm on price. It's been for sale for like 4 weeks, so I'm thinking there is no hurry. Gonna see if anything more local to me becomes available before driving almost 2 hours to see it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Still searching and found this a 2011 Trek Marlin SS, https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bik...649930200.html.

Right now, this and the Specialized Crave are what I can find as my best options. Thoughts on this Trek?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I had one fairly well modified that I barely got $300 for here in boulder, co. But our market is way flooded with used bikes. If I was buying I'd shoot for 250-300 given mainly that it is 8ish years old?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Thank you! I have been given the serial number off the frame and I am going to call the local Raleigh dealer to see if they can determine the age.

How was the bike? Was yours chain or belt driven?

mtbr member
    It's likely another low spec period piece, cant see exactly but avid mech brakes, likely straight steerer, skinny rims, low POE hubs, etc. The chainring/cog looks like 46/16 bar crawler ratio backed up by the kickstand.Lowball the sh!t out of it if you do.
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Thank you.

Ok, so right now my options are this Raleigh which I can maybe get for $300 and the Specialized Crave SL for $500. The Specialized seller is firm at the $500 and the Raleigh seller might come down to $300 if there are no takers.

Between the two, which would you take or would you take neither and continue looking?

mtbr member
    After just browsing this thread I think the $500 Specialized is a fine option.

The Raleigh isn't for reasons mentioned, plus (if it wasn't said) the gear ratio looks like it is too tall for mountain biking to me. If I had the Raleigh I would have to change the gearing, and that's one more expense and delay.

I had a black Carve single speed once. The EBB worked well and was quiet. The bike is very light and a great climber. I liked climbing on it. Bought as a frameset (with chisel fork) I built it up with beautiful budget parts. I loved the look.

Sadly, with some regrets, I sold it complete. It was mint.

But I sold it because I didn't like riding it down hill. The fork was too stiff. Chisel is a good name for it. Maybe a heavier rider could get some compliance. I weighed around 150# at the time. The frame, post, and bars I had were aluminum as well, and the thing was not suited to a lot of the trails I rode on.

That said, it is a good functional package that will get you out there, and the gear ratio on the bike you are looking at appears realistic.

I like black too. I don't have any black bikes.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Thank you.

Ok, so right now my options are this Raleigh which I can maybe get for $300 and the Specialized Crave SL for $500. The Specialized seller is firm at the $500 and the Raleigh seller might come down to $300 if there are no takers.

Between the two, which would you take or would you take neither and continue looking?
    The only one I would buy is the Crave(I'd be tempted if I lived close to that one, light is nice esp at that price), the Raleigh and others will save money in the short term but you're likely looking at some further money input down the road (at the very least chainring on the Raleigh for sure ) or possibly frustration at upgrade time. The GT Peace in my Sig was my budget intro from Nashbar, a closeout ~$400 delivered IIRC and that was 8 or 9 years ago it was good for that but an upgrade dead end for a variety of reasons, rode the hell out of it for about 4 years tho and still have it. It's a valid way to go as long as you're good with the downsides.
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I will 3rd a vote for the specialized. Best option out of what you've found.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Crave. It is the most modern/up to date bike for sure.

I liked the XXIX I had, but it was two sizes to small, so it was always more of a play bike and I couldn't give an accurate statement on how it was for a trail bike. I would "only" do the XXIX again if I found one in my size and if I had 90% of the parts already sitting in my bins to modify/tweak it, and even then only for a cooler "old" school bike to have around. I like old stuff, but I've certainly come around the past few years to the more modern bikes, so to reaffirm, CRAVE.
    Deflated - buy parts to sell parts to buy more parts.. bikes are my drug of choice

FATTrailer for the kiddo

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Thank you for all the replies. Sounds like the Crave is the way to go for the options currently available. Since it is almost a 2 hour drive each way, I will have to wait for the weekend to go look at it.

I have limited experience with 29er's, as in I have only test rode a few, mainly low end Giant's and Specialized. Are there any other ones I should seek out and is there an advantage or disadvantage with certain wheel sizes for a single speed (i.e. should I also broaden my search to include 27.5 or even 26")?

mtbr member
    Thank you for all the replies. Sounds like the Crave is the way to go for the options currently available. Since it is almost a 2 hour drive each way, I will have to wait for the weekend to go look at it.

I have limited experience with 29er's, as in I have only test rode a few, mainly low end Giant's and Specialized. Are there any other ones I should seek out and is there an advantage or disadvantage with certain wheel sizes for a single speed (i.e. should I also broaden my search to include 27.5 or even 26")?
    For actual mtb riding the 29er format really is an enabler as you need to manage momentum and the 29er wheels seem to be a more favorable format plus the much talked about rollover capability. Have tried 26" conversions, not as enjoyable but doable. Maybe look for something in 27.5+ wheel is closer to 29er and more cush for rigid, I think Trek Superfly can be found in both 29/27.5+ though doubt you'll find the price point. Charge Cooker might be something to look for.
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have the 2013 Crave Singlespeed which was called Carve for it's first year. Specialized had to change the name due to being sued for trademark violation by a ski company.

The bike uses a 'split shell' EBB which is extremely reliable and easy to adjust with simple trail tools. I've totally neglected cleaning/greasing the EBB and it's never given me any problems. The split shell design gives the most clamping area so it should be impossible for the EBB to slip. The only downside is that the pinch bolts thread into the frame, and if the bolts are over-tightened the threads can be damaged. You might want to inspect this. Very little torque is needed on these bolts so the threads should be OK as long as the previous owner isn't a moron.

I'm using a carbon handlebar, tubeless tire at 20 psi, and ESI chunky grips and this is plenty to take any harshness out of the fork. The fork does have massive clearance so you can run a pretty wide tire if you want. I live in Michigan, so we mainly have smooth hardpack, gravel, sand, plenty of roots, and a few smooth rocks. The bike works great on our trails, and I think Wisconsin trails have similar terrain.

The stock wheels, bars, seatpost, and saddle are quite heavy so you can take quite a bit of weight out of the bike if you want to. My large bike was 22 lbs stock without pedals, but I believe the later frames were lighter.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Thanks for the info and advice. I am actually going to be looking at a Carve SL that is local to me in a few days.

banned
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for the info and advice. I am actually going to be looking at a Carve SL that is local to me in a few days.
    Dude, its been two weeks, just pull the trigger on something.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    The Carve I'm going to look at is the first bike that has been within a 2-hour drive for me. Unfortunately, work and family commitments make it hard to set aside a 1/2 day to look at a bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    It's in my garage whenever you are up for a test ride. I can't ride for a long time because I destroyed my right humerus back in June and might not be able to ride again.