29+ / Fatbike SS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2015

29+ / Fatbike SS

Anyone running their Fatbikes as 29+ SS for the summer? Just took my Corvus out at 32/19 at Kincaid in Anchorage. Damn! What a ton of fun.

Wanna ride bikes?
    not yet, but that is exactly what i want to do. I want to replace my fatbike. recently i've been considering killing two birds with one stone and buying a fatbike that will accept my lefty fork that i can run with gears and suspension, and building a second set of + wheels and run it as a rigid SS 29+ bike for the summer.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

WNC Native
    I've had 3 fat bikes, all have been SS only.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    I have a 2015 Fatboy that I'm running SS. 34/19 on our rocky trails out here. It's a blast!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I rode my Krampus SS all summer. It was super fun. You'll want an easier gearing than you would use on a regular 29er - extra rotational mass and diameter makes it harder to push up a hill.

I'm thinking about the Wednesday as an SS. Especially with those new tubeless-ready rims.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Krampus. I took the rohloff off of it. Had issues with it and it's slow engagement in technical terrain. Now running king hubs, wtb scrapers and dirt wizards. Love this setup. Geared a bit too high at 32/20 for longer / steeper rides, but perfect for my trails out the back door.

SS Krampus by Mike, on Flickr

The Rohloff will go back on for winter (studded nicotines) and for bikepacking. Although I'm thinking of going 1x5 for bikepacking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    Krampus. I took the rohloff off of it. Had issues with it and it's slow engagement in technical terrain.
    A local rider has a Rohloff and best described it was best used for "A touring bike you can occasionally take on mtn bike trails, but you better plan your shifts ahead of time".

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    A local rider has a Rohloff and best described it was best used for "A touring bike you can occasionally take on mtn bike trails, but you better plan your shifts ahead of time".
    For me it wasn't about the shifts... I can plan those just fine and never really thought about it.
    Its that it takes forever as the cranks come around to engage and get power to the wheel...
    There's no ratcheting over things, or aligning your pedals to clear something and then throwing down power to keep moving or regain balance or traction... its just not there.
    By feel it seems like 20-30 degrees or more before the pawls (or whatever is inside the hub) engages and moves the wheel.

I love it for bikepacking. At least the dirt road / single track riding that I've done - but I ride differently when loaded. And I haven't tried to ride really technical stuff when loaded, I'm usually off the bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    bmike, you are contradicting yourself. If it takes forever to shift from gear to gear, then it is "about the shift". Touring duties don't usually require a snappy shift with demand for instant power like mountain bikes do.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    bmike, you are contradicting yourself. If it takes forever to shift from gear to gear, then it is "about the shift". Touring duties don't usually require a snappy shift with demand for instant power like mountain bikes do.
    I never said that.

It's not about the shifts (for me) - if you leave it in 1 gear and coast along and ride it like a sinlgle speed it takes forever to engage. A Chris King or I9 hub engages much quicker to the pawls and gets the wheel moving under power from the pedals than the Rohloff.
    Last edited by bmike; 09-05-2015 at 11:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    I never said that.
    I 100% misunderstood what you wrote...by bad!!