29'' Carbon Single Speed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

29'' Carbon Single Speed

Hello,

I am looking for a 29'' Carbon Single Speed bike. All I seem to find are frame kits. Does anyone know of a shop that sells complete bikes with these specs? I would also consider a second hand bike if it had seen very little use. Size Large (6' 1'').

Peter

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    have you thought about getting the frame you want and using a build kit to finish it? Something like this:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/162...20SRA9R7%20KIT

And for frames I would recommend the niner air 9 carbon. It can be run as a single speed.

SSOD
    Yeah Niner makes one. Also are you familiar with White Industries Eccentric rear hubs or Forward Components Eccentric Bottom Brackets? You could just buy whatever frame you like as a complete bike and change out those components.

Gary Fisher makes a superfly ss frame you might be able to find used already built up. Personally that's the bike I would get, horizontal drops, no bs ebb's that creaks.

Apr 2007
    You can get a Niner carbon or Spec S-Works frame sets and have your lbs build it up to your exact specs.

I personally wouldn't go with FC EBB or ENO hub and get a dedicated SS frame instead.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Ebb

I would stay away from EBB, when you adjust it, the geometry of the frame changes slightly (seat tube angle), BB clearance changes, and your foot ends up closer to having foot drag. Aside from the known fact of "slippage." I know many people who have them and like them pretty well. I think paragon sliders or the superfly method is more secure and lower maintenance. Just my two cents. However, if I were to get a frame that used that chain tensioning method, it would be an air 9 carbon all the way. Those frames are freakin' cool.
    Hope this helps.
    C.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by c7train
    I would stay away from EBB, when you adjust it, the geometry of the frame changes slightly (seat tube angle), BB clearance changes, and your foot ends up closer to having foot drag. Aside from the known fact of "slippage." I know many people who have them and like them pretty well. I think paragon sliders or the superfly method is more secure and lower maintenance. Just my two cents. However, if I were to get a frame that used that chain tensioning method, it would be an air 9 carbon all the way. Those frames are freakin' cool.
    Hope this helps.
    C.
    Air 9 carbon uses EBB.

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by brent878
    Air 9 carbon uses EBB.
    I think he knows that.

Quote Originally Posted by c7train
    ...However, if I were to get a frame that used that chain tensioning method, it would be an air 9 carbon all the way. Those frames are freakin' cool.
    Hope this helps.
    C.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ive never had any problems with my white industries ENO hub. I ride it on a 2007 Rocky Mountain Fusion. You just need to make sure you're dropout has plenty of surface area to accomodate the lager contact points. I do not trust EBB's. No reason really, I just dont like them.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    You can get a Niner carbon or Spec S-Works frame sets and have your lbs build it up to your exact specs.

I personally wouldn't go with FC EBB or ENO hub and get a dedicated SS frame instead.
    I second the p of nuts.

"Freakin Mountainbiker"
    Feb 2007
    Team Beer Components makes an eccentric for BB30 that works great. I built this Orbea Alma using the 73mm eccentric from Team Beer. get more info here>> https://beercomponents.com
    Does not slip or creak like the larger EBB's on the market!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That is one sick Orbea!
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

Propr
    Quote Originally Posted by pvbower
    Hello,

I am looking for a 29'' Carbon Single Speed bike. All I seem to find are frame kits. Does anyone know of a shop that sells complete bikes with these specs? I would also consider a second hand bike if it had seen very little use. Size Large (6' 1'').

Peter
    Not a single speed specific frame but could be a nice build if you just pick up the frame.

Highball 29'er
    10 TransAM SS
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1 - Sold
    Hightower LTcc - 18 Lg - Sold
    (Building up 19 in XL)

mtbr member
    There are several options i know of without looking very hard:
    Specialized Stumpjumper
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...9&menuItemId=0

Fisher Superfly:
    http://fisherbikes.com/bike/model/superfly-ss-frameset

These are two VERY capable bikes. I'd love to have several or each.

Members who have read this thread: 0