27.5+ Rear?- Mtbr.com

Thread: 27.5+ Rear?

MaxTheCyclist.com

27.5+ Rear?

Saw a neat lookin' bike on The Radavist. Sorry about the gears, I have a point to this below:

This Horsethief has a 27.5+ rear and a 29er front, meant to mimic an old 80's Honda dirtbike. The "logic" is to get better climbing grip in the rear.

I love my SS, and I love climbing. Not an ideal combination a lot of the time. The problem I have isn't that I can't put the power down, but rather, I'll lose traction in the rear and then lose my momentum, and on a SS, momentum is big.

I never have the problem of my front washing out. I know the "logic" says that the wider tire goes up front because of the risk associated with front wheel grip loss (you just crash), but I simply don't push the redline hard enough to risk a washout 99% of the time. I am happy with my 2.4" front tire, and I have been happy with narrower, too. I don't wash out, not on New England dirt.

So, I thought maybe this makes sense. Nice, wide 2.4" 29er wheel/tire in the front (currently using a Maxxis Ardent) and then slapping a 27.5+ tire in the rear, for tractor-tire climbing grip. Eyeing the new Maxxis Rekon:

So what do you guys think? Is this just 90's-era nonsense or can a mixed-wheel size bike exist in the new era of 27.5+ tires?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5+ Rear?-horse-2-1335x890.jpg  

Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

mtbr member
    Liteville do a similar thing - "front wheel as large as possible, rear as large as necessary" is, I think, what their theory is.
    LITEVILLE - SCALED SIZING - HOME

mtbr member
    Have you tried a more aggressive rear tire, possibly one without ramped center knobs?

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    Have you tried a more aggressive rear tire, possibly one without ramped center knobs?
    Oh yeah, I've mounted a Minion DHR II backwards for ultimate knobbiness. It's the low pressure and wide footprint that has me romanticized.
    Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com