27.5 geared hub build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2016

27.5 geared hub build

Hello to everyone,

I 'd like to enlighten me about a build.

I'm currently riding a 700c SS (street use only) and my city's bad surfaces have taken a toll on my body.

I would like to know if a 27.5 ballon tyre (schwalbe supermoto) with a geared hub is possible.

I have yet little understanding over dropouts and spacings etc and i can't figure out which frames would be suitable.
    Any help would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    I had the same problem.

Converted a 29er into a roadbike. Done 140 mile day rides on it on rough roads, no discomfort.

I reckon for your purpose it's better to go 29er than 27.5" unless you have a physical reason for needing the smaller tyres.

I've also done the same with a hubgear.

If you're planning doing it with your existing frame, then you need to check the clearances.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Since you are looking at putting larger tires on a road bike, I have a couple questions for you.

Is your current frame SS specific, do you have horizontal dropouts? Do you have a derailleur hanger? Do you have rim brakes or disc (my guess is rim brakes)?

It may well be possible for you to fit a wider 650b wheel with a wider tire with the same height as a 700c. However, you will need to measure your chain stay clearance and seat stay clearance for good measure in order to figure out how big a tire you can get in there. If you have trackends you won't have a derailleur hanger, unless you have a Surly which may possibly have hanger for a RD. Problem solvers may have a clamp or bolt on hanger, but you will have to look for it. Finally, if you have rim brakes you will need a brake that has enough pad movement to fit the smaller rim, like the Paul Motolite. If you have disc brakes you shouldn't have any problem, obviously.

Hopefully that will help you make a decision if you want to go 650b. I bought some tires from Rivendell, Schwalbe wire bead something, for my wife's Rawland that has a decent street tread and some puncture resistance. They also sell some Grand Bois tires for street touring use too.

The best thing to do for cheap is to look at a larger volume 700c tire. Good luck.

In rereading your original post, are you looking for a new frame or looking to convert your current frame? My assumption was that you are looking to continue to use your current frame with a different wheelset. What is your current frame?
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Sorry guys, i was asking for suitable frames for this kind of build.

My current one doesn't have the clearances for sure.

Velobike, your bike looks great.

I haven't decided if i 'll go 27.5 or 29 yet. My thought is that a 27.5 has more or less the same diameter with my 700c which suits me as a wheel size just fine. I just need thicker tyres for dampening.

I'm looking for frames with horizontal dropouts to fit a smimano 8 gear hub and 27.5x2.4 baloon tyres.

mtbr member
    Are you looking for a drop bar or flat bar setup?
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Lots of options out there. Don't forget to look at frames with sliders too. Soma has frames that would work and a couple can do belt drives. Surly is the classic option with track style ends with a hanger and have a couple frames for touring that would work, the Ogre or Troll as well as the Karate Monkey. On-one is currently having a frame sale, perhaps something there would work.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.