26er vs. 29er- Mtbr.com

Thread: 26er vs. 29er

inner peace to make peace

New question here. 26er vs. 29er

now that we've purchased all the golf equipment we can possibley need (well, maybe one pair of gore-tex Ecco or Etonic golf shoes), I'm back to spending money on bike wants (already have all the bikes i need)

I already have a single speed mtb ridgid, but now I want a steel fixie ridgid with front disk brake (shimano deore hydraulic) with fenders and rear rack as my winter bike for pavement and 'cross type trails. I ride a Kona 18 or 19 (23.5" eff. top tube perferred).

my question: 26er or 29er frame? (steel preferred, but I'm open minded)
    is 29er a fad, a flash-in-the-pan?
    I'm getting the inkling that for a strong and skilled rider, makes no real difference other than what ever pleases the rider i his or her perception.

the only advantage i can think of is that 29er can fit 700c 'cross or road wheels and tires.

I'd enjoy fitting the widest knobbies tires available: 2.5"s if they'll fit.

This bike will not be raced (well, i say that now, but who knows) so weights not much of factor other than for vanity sakes. Like to keep this project well under $1000 and to have it look non-descript kinda.

so: 26er or 29er?
    I know i'm rehashing a dead-horse topic, but be nice and "play" with me.
    “Everyday is a good day,” from the Blue Cliff Records, Yun-men (864-949 AD).

mtbr member

26 Rules!!!

havent seen any 29" downhill bikes lately........

wheels aint gonna be stronger 29er........

roll faster??? wanna drag??

cnb

any 29er XC or SuperD race bikes?

Quote Originally Posted by UMMADUMMA

cnb

thanks,

come to think of it: are there any 29er XC or SuperD race bikes, that's placing on or near the podium at expert/semi-pro level?

good point: my riding style, with hardly any finess dispite all these years, is hard on seatposts and rear wheels....

Surly Single-Speed Frame Set w/ Disc Tab

pro: fits 2.7" tire...nice!

con: 5# hmmm. irrational, i know...

I railed it like Kong
    Check out the 06' Unit 29er. Though you'd have to switch it to fixie. Or just buy the frame. I've seen a couple on ebay ending around $300. I love the 29" and probably will not own another hardtail that isn't one.
    I'm UNIQUE... just like everybody else.

banned

cnb
    Sounds like you haven't spent much time on a well-made, properly tuned 29" wheeled SS rig.

The majority of SS riders I know who have tried a 29" wheeled bike won't go back to 26" wheels for SS riding.

and as to DH rigs, you should do a search for the BCD Inedible.

I would suggest finding someone who has a 29" wheeled SS rig that is your size, and swapping for a ride, or at least a good part of a long ride.

Or you could just sit back and make uninformed and misleading comments.

Wheel strength is a function of who builds the wheel, not the presence or absence of an extra 1.7" of diameter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i'd say the number of niners at least doubled (at the inforamal XC races we run weeekly in the summer) between this year and last...

somebody must believe they are faster. i sure do!

for a commuter it really is a no brainer cause you can just throw road tires on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo_b
    Sounds like you haven't spent much time on a well-made, properly tuned 29" wheeled SS rig.

The majority of SS riders I know who have tried a 29" wheeled bike won't go back to 26" wheels for SS riding.

and as to DH rigs, you should do a search for the BCD Inedible.

I would suggest finding someone who has a 29" wheeled SS rig that is your size, and swapping for a ride, or at least a good part of a long ride.

Or you could just sit back and make uninformed and misleading comments.

Wheel strength is a function of who builds the wheel, not the presence or absence of an extra 1.7" of diameter.
    yup i ll sit back alrite.

where do you guys find those 29hole hubs and 29hole rims i guess ill just have to take 3 spokes out of 32hole 26" wheels and try one of the 29er's......

cnb

Avid Indoorsman
    I ride a 26" SS now and I want to try a 29er full rigid SS.

I have been doing a lot of research and talking to people in my lbs. It makes sense (29er). It is suppose to help you keep your momentum and the larger tires are helpful when climbing (larger tire distribution on the growned makes for better climbing. Plus I am 6'3", so i am suppose to benefit even more from a 29er. I say give it a test ride first. If you like it go for it.

I am just waiting to do a demo ride first before I fire the bullet.

Expert Pushing SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailNut

pro: fits 2.7" tire...nice!

con: 5# hmmm. irrational, i know...
    SlowSSer got his lady a Kona Explosif 29er. That became a viable option for me, I like the rootbeer color. I also like the ride qualities/fit of the On-One 29er. Cheers!
    Tuff Schist

large member

where do you guys find those 29hole hubs and 29hole rims i guess ill just have to take 3 spokes out of 32hole 26" wheels and try one of the 29er's......
    Your first post seemed pretty misinformed, your second one here confirmed it. Where did you get 29 hole hubs and rims from?

Grand Poobah
    I don't think that anyone should be buying a new hardtail frame without at least trying a 29er. A lot of folks like the benefits even more on a singlespeed. I just finished building a Surly Karate Monkey rigid SS and I am hoping to have time this weekend to get a good feel for the difference.

There are advantages and disadvantages to any choice you make for a bike component. Some things work better on certain trails.

Anyone who outright dismisses the 29ers or anyone who claims that all bikes should now have the bigger wheels is not really discussing their merits. You can more obviously see where a downhill frame would shine versus a super stiff carbon road bike. The differences between 29 and 26 inch wheels and frame geometries may not be so drastic, but you need to look at the choice the same way. Either one has tradeoffs. Now which tradeoffs are you willing to take?

Members who have read this thread: 0