26 vs 29 climbing technique- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

26 vs 29 climbing technique

Well I have a 26 on order, just wondering how different it will feel versus my 29 SS full rigid. I HAD a FS 26er, but I got sick of it once I bought the 29er on a whim. I realized I really liked the standing climbing and I couldn't stand the loss of power I felt on my fully.
    Now I am waiting on my Ventana El Toro with front shock. (the rigid is killing me on long downhills and longer rides)

Will my new riding style transfer well from 29 to 26?

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    no.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    it'll be easier, at least in my opinion. I got rid of my 29er because it felt clumsy on techy climbs where you need accurate tire placement. The ibis climbs SO much better, it's like night and day.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    it'll be easier, at least in my opinion. I got rid of my 29er because it felt clumsy on techy climbs where you need accurate tire placement. The ibis climbs SO much better, it's like night and day.
    I suspect the clumsy feeling could have been from your stem/bar combo or that particular models geometry. Did you try other 29ers before coming to that conclusion?

Ovaries on the Outside
    I don't think there is a climbing difference between wheel sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonCz
    I suspect the clumsy feeling could have been from your stem/bar combo or that particular models geometry. Did you try other 29ers before coming to that conclusion?
    I've had a KM, Mt. Tam, Overdrive and a Fuji Tahoe. And one more 29er I spent a bit of time on. I like them well, but always feel clumsy. So I prefer 26".

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonCz
    The clumsy feeling is from the bigger wheels. i've ridden/owned a lot of bikes, none were as nimble as my current bike. I'm pretty anal about geometry/fit and i'm far from a beginner, so i'm fairly confident in the source of the issues.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    if i trade my Corvette for a Viper, will it handle the same?

Apr 2007
    There is a difference in technique.

29er - Point and shoot.

26" - Unclip and hike.

BTW, I'm really jealous of your El Toro.

Out spokin'
    Keep in mind that ISAR is only 5'3" tall.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    There is a difference in technique.

29er - Point and shoot.
    This is my worry. I have been sloppy at times with the 29er and it seems to stick, no matter what I do.
    I think I might have to ride a little more balanced with the 26. I guess I will find out in a few weeks!!

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    if it doesn't work out, i will buy the Ventana off you for $100.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    do you grow and shrink with the seasons?

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Keep in mind that ISAR is only 5'3" tall.

--sParty
    ha! 6'1"-6'2" buddy!

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by alexrex20
    do you grow and shrink with the seasons?
    It's when he accidentally puts on his 5" heels instead of the 6.

BTW, isuckperiod - there is an ibis tranny fs for $850 I'm really tempted to get for some reason. Do you know if 650b works in that frame?

Ovaries on the Outside
    I wish the 29er v. 26" thing wasn't such an ordeal. I guess we do live in such a homogenized culture that it only makes sense that everyone is the same. I heart 26". I'll be doing my rec ride tomorrow with a 29er, then hitting up bidness singletrack on Sunday with my 26" hardtail. Oooooh! I can't wait to compare!

Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    It's when he accidentally puts on his 5" heels instead of the 6.

BTW, isuckperiod - there is an ibis tranny fs for $850 I'm really tempted to get for some reason. Do you know if 650b works in that frame?
    My guess is no. If you are fairly serious about 650b... it is a tough sell. My girlfriend has my wheelset on her bike and I think it negatively affects handling. That Hooligan is probably one of the better options.

Apr 2007
    I emailed Chad about 3 days ago asking if he had any Hooligans in stock. He didn't have any and no plans to produce any more. Oh, well.

I'm looking for a frame to replace my semi-tired 99 Stumpjumper. That ibis is the sexiest tranny I've seen yet. And the only ss-able CF frame.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I'll keep my eyes open in my parts for you. I'm pretty bummed about the Hooligan being axed. I almost bought one a dozen times and now it is gone.

The Redline Monocog fits the tires pretty ok.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    The clumsy feeling is from the bigger wheels. i've ridden/owned a lot of bikes, none were as nimble as my current bike. I'm pretty anal about geometry/fit and i'm far from a beginner, so i'm fairly confident in the source of the issues.
    I think the clumsy feeling has to do with not riding Nassahegan in a long time.

Biker's Edge took over the Winsted Woods race (it was last weekend) and added a good amount of singletrack to it, but they cut off the top 2/3 of the rocky climb. There was the same amount of climbing, only broken up more. Made it a little too easy IMO.

But back to the OP's concerns; climbing is the last place I notice any difference between 26" and 29". I think the fork will compensate for the smaller wheel size quite nicely compared to a 29'er rigid.

Out spokin'
    ha! 6'1"-6'2" buddy!
    Just stirrin' the pot, friend.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Members who have read this thread: 0