26" SS Conversion Help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

26" SS Conversion Help

I have a Stock '08 Gary Fisher Big Sur that I want to convert to a single speed.

Specs...http://fisherbikes.com/bike/model/big-sur/fullspecs

I want to use as many of the existing parts keeping the conversion cost to a minimum. Also, only want to have one cog on the rear.

What is the process for the conversion and what new parts (if any) do I need to make the conversion to an SS?
    Last edited by GF70; 07-17-2008 at 09:57 AM.

surfer w/out waves
    I converted my 05 Hardrock to SS here

I would suggest atleast...

1) spacer kit.
    2) steel cog (wider base than a cassette cog, I run a King 19t $40)
    3) steel chainring (I run a Surly 36t $40)
    4) 8sp chain (I run a KMC $16)
    5) find the magic gear ratio or get a tensioner (I run a Yess BB tensioner $60)

You could easily do it for under $60 by shopping around... but $100 will get you a decent set up.
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government!..." -- Dennis the Peasant

Birdman aka JMJ

Convert help

I went with the following on a Soma Groove frame:

Salsa 32t chainring - $20
    Forte SS kit (tensioner, spacers, 16t cog) - $20
    single ring chainring bolts - $5

It was set up as an 8 speed before I converted, so I used the 8sp SRAM chain with a 1/2 link ($3) to keep a tighter chain and as much wrap on the rear cog as possible.

So, with shipping, a bit over $50 (all parts bought on sale as the opportunity arose).

You can probably use your existing middle chainring and save $20, but I like the Salsa ring as it had no shift ramps.

If you find the right gear combination, you could even get away without a tensioner, but most spacer kit/rear cog combos are still in the $20 range or more anyway.

Once you get into it, you'll undoubtedly start upgrading components from this basic setup.

Read through the FAQ for more on this subject.

Good luck - JMJ

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm just swapping my old Homegrown frame for a Soma Groove. I have the Smoothie ES as my road bike, and I love it. I built my rear wheel using the surly hub, and just use the surly chain tensioner.

Members who have read this thread: 0