26" Rockhopper SS gearing for city riding- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2015

26" Rockhopper SS gearing for city riding

I have an old Rockhopper that I'm converting to a SS setup. I have a Truvativ X9 crankset and I'm shopping for a singlespeed chainring.
    I'd like to go with a spiderless direct mount chainring and I'm planning to buy a 36T.

Any recommendation for a rear cog size? My last 26" SS bike was 36T - 16T and that was way too slow for cruising in the city with no hills.

I've been trying to figure out all the gear ratio stuff...is a 12T cog too small?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I got away with 32/14 back in the day, but the smaller the rear cog the more likely it'll skip. Granted that was before I knew how to measure the chainline accurately and I was using cheap stamped cogs, maybe with a decent cog it would be different. If you have an old derailleur you could use as a chain tensioner that might do the trick, hard part is getting enough chain wrapped around that little tiny cog.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    You may be better off with a larger chainring and cog. If you can get a crankset with a more common chainring BCD you would have better chainring options. 5-bolt 94mm BCD and 4-bolt 104mm BCD are pretty common and inexpensive.

I have an old steel Stumpjumper that I have set up singlespeed. I use 42-16 gearing on 2.25" low knob tires. This gear ratio cruises pretty well around 14-20 mph, and starts to spin out around 23 mph.

You may want to check out the Sheldon Brown gearing calculator. Keep in mind that 36-12 is a much bigger gear than 36-16.
    Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Gear Calculator