26" rigid forks- Mtbr.com

Thread: 26" rigid forks

mtbr member

26" rigid forks

Since there's no fork forum without being suspension related I figured this is the place to ask. Helps that the frame I'm trying to build has singlespeed sliding dropouts...right?

I have a 2010 Kona Explosif frame and am looking for fork options. I have a Niner A9C singlespeed with the carbon fork but Niner doesn't make that fork in a 26" for some reason.

Shoot me your suggestions please!

Ovaries on the Outside
    Well, if you want to hit the recommended fork length of 453, you only have one option that I know about. Soma has an IRD for their B-Side somewhere...

Otherwise, it will be personal preference- there are a lot of 445ish a-c forks that will make your HA steeper, but it really won't much make of a difference. I think Salsa makes a nice fork for the money.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    So are you wanting a carbon or steel fork? What's your budget?

mtbr member
    I'm interested in this thread as well as I need a nice reasonably affordable suspension corrected 26er fork for a 29er frame I'm picking up that was designed around such a front fork to keep the handlebars low for shorter fellas or gals.

Don't want a curved bladed fork. A nice unicrown fork with straight blades would be ideal. If there is something as nice as a Salsa Cromoto for a little less $$ with similar AC heights - I'd love to know what that (or those) are.

mtbr member
    Not as worried about budget, I have been searching but haven't come across anything other than the Salsa CroMoto 26" and wanted some other options. I'll check out the Soma, I think my shop has access to that.

Birdman aka JMJ
    Does Kona still make a Project 2 fork? If so, they are pretty nice forks for reasonable cash. I put a Salsa Cromoto (closeout at a LBS) on one of my wife's bikes and it is really nice. I have an old Spicer ti fork on my rigid SS that has been great.

JMJ

mtbr member
    Kona does actually, here:

P2 Forks - Kona USA Web Store

It's very similar to the Salsa CroMoto it seems. I think I'm looking for "sexier" options, if Foundry Cycles had a 26" - 1 1/8" steerer carbon fork I'd probably have already ordered one. Doesn't mean I'm set on carbon, just fishing for ideas before making a decision. So far it seems either the CroMoto or the P2, I'm not sure if my LBS can get Soma as it's sold through a different distributor outside of the major ones.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Check out bikeman! They have the kona project 2 for 29 at 30$.
    They also have the 26 version: 410 mm and 440 mm. They are 69 $.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    If you're going rigid, try the Kona P2. Hey, it was made for your bike, and no big dollar loss if you don't like the way it rides, but I think you will. I have one on both my bikes.

poser Administrator
    Troll Fork | Parts | Surly Bikes

cheaper

Syncros - Applied Technology

light and expensive

Instigator Fork | Parts | Surly Bikes

burly and cheaper

On-One and Titus USA Store — On-One CroMo 26er MTB Fork Disc Only

shorter and more expensive

or the cromoto which is my choice of cheap, strong and performance
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Speedgoat lists the new Surly 1x1 rigid fork for sale now too.

That would be perfect for my needs - just wish it was disc only.

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG View Post
    Speedgoat lists the new Surly 1x1 rigid fork for sale now too.

That would be perfect for my needs - just wish it was disc only.
    I didn't comment on the 1x1 as it is 417 AC and the OP wanted suspension corrected. I have an old sans disc mount on my old IF Deluxe from my first foray into rigid, well my return to rigid I guess I should say. It is a good solid fork and nice looking.

Dremel and some spray paint and your problem is solved I would think.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    I didn't comment on the 1x1 as it is 417 AC and the OP wanted suspension corrected. I have an old sans disc mount on my old IF Deluxe from my first foray into rigid, well my return to rigid I guess I should say. It is a good solid fork and nice looking.

Dremel and some spray paint and your problem is solved I would think.
    The new Surly is taller than 417mm AC.

It is corrected for a 100mm suspension fork:

Speedgoat Bicycles / Catalog

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the help guys! I think I'm going CroMoto for now. The Syncros is more than my Niner carbon fork! The Syncros name definitely takes me back to my younger beginner days in the 90s though. Wish the P2 or the CroMoto were disc only without the brake posts but I'll get over it.

mtbr member
    You can get the Cromoto as a disc only.

Salsa Cycles | Components

mtbr member
    Thanks, I must have missed that somehow on their website or my thoughts were full of all the models I had looked at. I'd say that's my choice then!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Slightly OT but I have a PUSS that cane with a steel rigid fork and want to lighten it up a little more. Does anyone know if the Syncros fork will take 650 wheels?

mtbr member
    sparkie, I have no idea. sorry.

CroMoto on it's way, we'll see how right you all are. Especially you umarth. I always enjoy reading your posts as you're always giving someone hell. I figured you secretly had a wealth of knowledge about things besides sParty, beer, and beer.

Off topic, whatever happened to Fo' shizzle? I saw mention of him the other day and haven't seen a post. I think he went where everyone always asks for magician DC to go?

mtbr member
    I went in a bit of a different direction and bought a Surly Pugsley fork from a local rider. Gives me all sorts of options up front now. muwhahahahaha!

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    Slightly OT but I have a PUSS that cane with a steel rigid fork and want to lighten it up a little more. Does anyone know if the Syncros fork will take 650 wheels?
    Pretty much any rigid mtb fork will fit 650b, though non-suspension corrected ones are more of a risk. Modern Bianchi MTBs should make the conversion effortlessly.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by trailof View Post
    CroMoto on it's way, we'll see how right you all are. Especially you umarth. I always enjoy reading your posts as you're always giving someone hell. I figured you secretly had a wealth of knowledge about things besides sParty, beer, and beer.
    I'm going to start giving you hell.

mtbr member
    Haha. Oh come on... I was being nice, giving a compliment!

Fork in tomorrow. I'll post a pic once finished so you can point out incorrect seat setup or hoses that need trimmed or something.

mtbr member
    So... The CroMoto works and looks good. I have a friend who runs the shop and I still need to choose a few parts, wheels and brakes mainly so we slapped a pair of rim brake wheels on it just to get a feel for it and play around a bit. Some of the other parts are from my parts bin, some his. Cranks will be changed to single ring and bash, but got a good deal on them as is. Wheels are from a trade in he had torn down recently so we put them on, wrapped the chain around the middle ring and the cog that lined up, so it's still singlespeed forum correct, just some extra bits. I'm sure one of you will ask to have the purple anodized skewers from the 90s for a little nostalgia!

Fork needs cut down more but I didn't want to cut it too short today and the stem is already swapped for a 90. That 110 seemed right in 2001 but not anymore, I felt all NORBA racing leaned over. Stopping was a blast too, like The Flintstones!

Work in progress, but wanted to share the fork mounted and functional. Maybe finish it after Christmas? It seems my children expect Santa to show up for some reason towards the end of December.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26" rigid forks-fork.jpg  

26" rigid forks-front.jpg  

26" rigid forks-side.jpg