26" Ridgid Ques for someone in MD area- Mtbr.com
    Low Rep Count

26" Ridgid Ques for someone in MD area

Ok,
    This is really for someone that lives in or rides in the Schaeffer farms area in MD or at least is fortunate enough to ride trails that have frickn tree roots all over them.

So I have spent the past month or two building up my single speed. I am currently running a rigid frame with an old Rock Shock Psylo on it. The fork works but of course it is older technology and is rather heavy. It is also fairly flexy though I guess I have grown used to that. The bike is a 26" set up as well.

So, I have caught a little bit of flack from one of my friends [daughters old soccer coach actually that just happens to have a custom Seven SS (Bastard!)] for running a suspension on the bike. He says I don't really need it out there and of course it would lighten up the bike. Just not sure if I agree with him or not. The suspension really does help absorb some of the blows from the roots that are all over our trails out there.

I know I have seen a few guys w/ full rigid 29's but can't say that I have noticed guys running rigid 26's out there. Granted I don't spend alot of time staring at all the other bikes but I have also been riding by myself so I'm not hanging out at the trail head much either.

Started thinking about doing a White Brothers Rock Solid. This would also be a cheaper option than buying a newer suspension fork no doubt which would then allow me to stick the Psylo back on the XC bike and have two completely rideable set ups or steal all the parts off the XC and stick it on a smaller frame for my wife. (Must be nice to getting your first mtb w/ full XTR!).

Let me know what you guys think. I just don't want to drop the money on the rigid fork, hate it and then not even be half way to buying a new suspension fork.

Low Rep Count
    Oh, I am currently running a 2.1 tire on the front so I could probably bump that up to a 2.3 to get a little more squich out of it if need be.

Apr 2007
    I don't live in MD, but I'm going to say the trails I ride are as harsh, if not, more rough than where you're at. (Rocky Mountains). If I needed another rigid fork today, I'd probably look at a steel fork--Vassago ODIS ($150). If you end up not liking it, sell it for $120-130 no problem. (I'd even buy it from you). Also, get a bigger front tire (2.3+") and comfy grips (I use ESI chunky). Lower the air pressure to 20-25 and go at it. Lighter, better steering response, no suspension bob on climbs---I think you'll like it.

Low Rep Count
    The GT Peace came with a rigid fork but it is fairly tall and the handling feels slower. I also think it is a pos imo. The Vassago is a 465 and my Psylo is currently sitting at close to 445 (80mm of travel dialed in right now) so I am sure that it would feel a little slower. Looks like the WB fork comes in a 445 and weighs less even still.

I'll be retaking some measurements when I get home this afternoon. If the stock fork is close, then I may give that a shot before buying a nicer one.

Funny, Vassago is based out of Baltimore, about 5 miles from my mother in laws house!

Apr 2007
    Crap, forgot you said 26". ODIS is for a 29er. My bad.

What about a Surly 1x1 fork? You can pick those up for CHEAP ($60 brand new?)

Low Rep Count
    I may just stick the stock rigid on there for a ride to see what I think before I make a decision. I think it is taller than my Psylo though which will make the steering a little slower but at least I could get a feel for what rigid will be like.

Also need to take some measurements as I really like the way the bike handles right now. I do wish it had shorter rear chainstays though as it would be much easier to manual on this thing!

mtbr member
    I live in Southern Maryland, and I have a Surly Instagator on my GT Ruckus SS. Its A2C is 447 which was close to the Rock Shok J3 that came with the bike. I like the way it handles for me. But I have found that if I lower my tire presure a bit and pick the right lines the thing rides like a champ.

The need for singlespeed
    If you come out Thursday you can chat up at least one guy who rides rigid 26.

mtbr member
    if you like your bike you should tell him to screw...

Apr 2007
    Have you checked out eXotic carbon forks? They have a variety to choose from (including 445mm). I've seen them on ebay for less than $200.

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=43&p=199&

EDIT:

Here's one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/eXotic-Rigid-Car...item20b111095d

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by agabriel
    if you like your bike you should tell him to screw...
    Seriously...

I ride a 26" SS with a Reba up front -- on trails that are very rooty & rocky. Who cares what another rider says?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by am_dial
    Seriously...

I ride a 26" SS with a Reba up front -- on trails that are very rooty & rocky. Who cares what another rider says?
    Exactly my point...

Apr 2007
    Maybe I'm accessing this wrong, but I don't think he's being forced into this. I don't think he necessarily cries to sleep because of what the guy said. He's simply trying out another product. I know I tried out singlespeeding, because of "what someone else said," and found I liked it. It wasn't some high school peer pressure BS---just one rider giving another rider an opportunity to experience yet, another side of cycling.

Low Rep Count
    I'm definitely not being pressured about all of this. I can handle taking a little flack from friends. I certainly dish out enough of it. The bottom line is that my Psylo was fine for the amount of riding I used to do on my mtb. I was out on my road bike most of the time so the mtb was put together to allow for a break from the streets and a chance to just have fun (and a little suffering). But now that I am riding more and the weight weenie from being a road biker has come out, I realized that I wanted to do something about the fork situation. So, that is pretty much it.

I ended up ordering a 2009 White Brothers Rock Solid last night. I had contacted WB via email and was told that the price would be $360 + shipping. I ended up finding one on AEBike.com for $274 shipped! This all came after venturing out to several different stores to have a touchie feelie with some of the newer shocks out there. Getting no replies back in response to shocks I found used on the classified adds. And lastly realizing that I could obviously shave some weight, have something new, and its carbon! Oh, and I swaped out my shock for my stock rigid fork the other day for a quick ride. It was not that bad but it was taller so the steering was considerably more sloppy than I was used to. I will install the new fork when it arrives, go for a spin with my 2.1 tire on the front and see how it feels since my mind was more focused on steering yesterday that I just couldn't concentrate too much on how the bumps felt. If I need more squish then I will order yet another new tire for the front (just got my current set of tires on the bike a week ago or so) and maybe look for some squishier grips if I still need something more or some nice gloves.

So, there you have it. The bike is soon to be full rigid. The fork should weigh close to 2.5 lbs less than the current Psylo set up! That is a huge weight difference. Steering response should be a little quicker and no pogo while doing the stand up pedal jam up the hills. Down hill should be a little more firm but I do have a carbon bar/stem combo as well.

Waiting for my new ebay specaial digital fish scale to show up as well so I can finally get a weight on this pig. Will post up some pics when it all comes in.

Apr 2007
    That's a good deal on that WB. Nice buy.

Low Rep Count
    I thought so. I am pretty excited to see some more carbon on my bike! Love that stuff.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My suspension fork allows me to descend faster, and is more comfortable. I'm willing to sacrifice a little weight for that.

Low Rep Count
    I am realizing that while on a SS, going fast down hill is not as important. I need as much time as I can get going down hill to recover for the next climb! I think that is why I was fading so quickly a few weeks ago. I am now doing a better job at conserving my energy and thus have been able to ride farther and for longer periods of time. That and I have started standing while climbing alot more.

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    My suspension fork allows me to descend faster, and is more comfortable. I'm willing to sacrifice a little weight for that.
    .................you do realize that you're in a SINGLESPEED forum, right?..............

Low Rep Count
    ^^he rides a SS but has a front suspension on his bike. He's in the right place! Even seen him at Schaeffer (in passing mind you -going opposite direction)

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    .................you do realize that you're in a SINGLESPEED forum, right?..............
    And what's your point?

Just because I'm on a single speed means I'm not allowed to descend fast or not have my hands ache?
    There are a lot of people riding single speed with suspension forks.

Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    ...going fast down hill is not as important...
    It is a lot of fun though.

Low Rep Count
    Oh I would agree with you on that and I am not saying that I am riding my brakes going down. I'm just not pedaling as much as I was in the beginning. But I have found that taking my time going down hill has helped me to recover a little more and is now allowing me to be out there on my bike longer and not just standing by the map signs trying to breath!

Doing the MORE ride tomorrow night at Schaefer if you can make it! Gonna ride with the casual group though until I know I can handle the distance and actually get to meet more people. Ride goes off at about 6.

Apr 2007
    And what's your point?

Just because I'm on a single speed means I'm not allowed to descend fast or not have my hands ache?
    There are a lot of people riding single speed with suspension forks.
    Calm down, bad mech. Everybody knows about suspension forks and what they can do. All I was pointing out was, your post about being able to "decend faster" and being "more comfortable" is almost out of the realm in a SS forum. If that's what is important to you, why not get a FS? Gears? Dirt bike?

I'm not saying we should all be riding rigid SS, but pertaining to THIS discussion and in THIS forum, why would you discourage someone from going rigid?

If that wasn't your intention, my bad--let's move on.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    Doing the MORE ride tomorrow night at Schaefer if you can make it!
    I can't since I'm leaving for Hungary this Sunday for three weeks, and still have a mountain of stuff to do. I'm hoping to ride this weekend though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Calm down, bad mech. Everybody knows about suspension forks and what they can do. All I was pointing out was, your post about being able to "decend faster" and being "more comfortable" is almost out of the realm in a SS forum. If that's what is important to you, why not get a FS? Gears? Dirt bike?
    You're the one getting your panties wadded up over someone riding a suspension fork.

How is that out of realm? I must have missed the memo that single speed has to be a slow death march. Are you so caught up in the image and "purity" of single speed that you need to get on my nuts for having a suspension fork? Sad.

I'm not saying we should all be riding rigid SS, but pertaining to THIS discussion and in THIS forum, why would you discourage someone from going rigid?
    Because 1SPD asked for opinions, and I gave mine. I ride the same trails, on the same size wheels as him. Again, how is a suspension fork an issue in the SS forum?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    "rigid"

ridgid is a tool company.
    they don't make bicycles.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

Apr 2007
    You're the one getting your panties wadded up over someone riding a suspension fork.
    So "you do know this is the SS forum" is getting my panties in a twist? Ok.

How is that out of realm? I must have missed the memo that single speed has to be a slow death march. Are you so caught up in the image and "purity" of single speed that you need to get on my nuts for having a suspension fork? Sad.
    You did miss that memo.

Because 1SPD asked for opinions, and I gave mine. I ride the same trails, on the same size wheels as him. Again, how is a suspension fork an issue in the SS forum?
    Looks like he bought himself a rigid fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Looks like he bought himself a rigid fork.
    So? Unlike you, I don't really care what other people ride, so long as they have fun.

mtbr member
    seriously You should see the chunky trail I threw myself down yesterday on my SS (w/ 100mm susp fork). Even my WTB Stout was scrambling for traction at those speeds on such nasty stuff. It's still a fun trail with a rigid fork, but speed and adrenaline are really fun too

Apr 2007
    So? Unlike you, I don't really care what other people ride, so long as they have fun.
    Maybe that's why you're such a bad mechanic----you just don't care enough.

Members who have read this thread: 0